PDA

View Full Version : StayFocusd on Facebook

kally
6-21-12, 12:58pm
Man I was on Facebook, way, way too much. So I put a filter on it. It is called StayFocusd and you tell the filter how long you want to be on Facebook or any other site in a 24 hour period.

I chose 30 minutes a day. After that when you try to log in it says "Shouldn't You Be Working?" So I know I have enough time to check it, but no time to really linger there.

Who knew it would be such a problem for me (and I guess others):|(

SophieGirl
6-21-12, 7:24pm
I'm considering starting another thread on the broader subject later on --- but I decided to do re-arranging both at the office and at home --- so that my computer is now at a high enough level that I have to be standing, rather than sitting, to use it. Helps me avoid getting unduly distracted by the computer. (Yes, I'm here --- but that's not a distraction --- rather I made the conscious decision that I want to spend *some* time here --- for now to learn little tips here and there of the nuts-and-bolts of simpler living ---- and later on, once I get more experienced, to offer my assistance to the newbies of the future.)

FYI: I'm a computer programmer. That's what I do for a living. So if I can afford to set up a buffer between me and cyberspace, that's saying a lot.

bunnys
6-21-12, 9:21pm
Sounds like a good idea--in theory.

But if I were doing something I didn't think I should be doing and I kept getting reminders lecturing me to get back to what I should be doing, I'd dismantle that program pretty quick.

Everybody's different but it wouldn't work for me. I don't like being nagged.

Bastelmutti
6-21-12, 9:45pm
Great idea!

Looks like Stayfocusd is only for Chrome, though. I found one called LeechBlock for Firefox, which I intend to install, but haven't tried yet.

Zoebird
6-22-12, 2:44am
I use a standing desk a fair amount of time. the only time it curbed my behavior was the day before I went into labor. It would make my feet swell to super-uncomfortable levels. LOL I could do about 30-45 minutes at a time, which actually made work difficult. BUT, otherwise I can stand most of the day, oddly enough.

I find myself not at all distracted by FB. I spend about 40 minutes a day on it (actively), and then I'm passively on it all day. Our business posts 2x a week unless there's something really that needs to get out (eg, "elevators in repair today; please arrive to your appointment early or give us a buzz and we'll walk you up the locked stairs!"); and then I do a run-through with my US friends from the overnight in the am (20 minutes) and then another run-through around 2:00 pm where I post and respond. otherwise, I'm "on" but not necessariyl using it. I do chat with friends sometimes at night, which is often when both of us are in a transitional times of the day due to the time-zone differences.

It's also useful for touching base with DH if he's at home/office while I'm in the other place with the computer -- do you need anything? anything I need to know about? etc. And if there's nothing up, then we go back to work. It costs less than calling (since we only have a cell phone and you pay per call and it sucks).

I find it quite nice, actually.