PDA

View Full Version : New tablet, need advice please

razz
6-23-12, 2:18pm
We have been given a new tablet because the donor already has an Ipad. After watching the short video and reading the entire manual, I still have lots of questions.
Does it not need some virus protection software somehow?
Does one simply borrow/copy the games from another computer to load up the tablet or must they be downloaded from the internet?

Is there a way to learn how to use a 7" Android tablet to its fullest?

JaneV2.0
6-23-12, 4:30pm
Speaking as someone who briefly owned an Android smart phone, my advice is to root around in the app store. You can download games specifically designed for Android tablets, and I'm sure they have security apps, too.

SteveinMN
6-23-12, 10:27pm
razz, at least at present, you will not need anti-virus protection for your Android tablet. That could change in the future, but for right now I would not worry about it.

As for apps, the easiest way to get them is to use the tablet to go to the "app store" available through an icon on the tablet itself. If there is no app store or if you want something that is not in an app store, you can use the Web browser on the tablet to go to those sites and you should be able to download and install from there.

Enjoy!

ToomuchStuff
6-26-12, 9:25pm
Android is Linux based, it doesn't have nearly the number of viruses that Windows or Mac do (last I looked it had three). Worms and trojan's however do exist, but they tend to require root (administrator) access, which you don't typically have. (or need for day to day use)
Games from your Windows machine will not work on this. You will have to find ones for Android. (apps are the way to find easily)