PDA

View Full Version : My Life: An Update (long)

SiouzQ.
6-25-12, 7:07pm
Hi Folks,

It's been about three weeks already since I started at Wholefoods and I like it! It is very different from what I was doing, of course, but I am finally starting to get over the schedule change and switching from a sedentary, boring job with LOTS of downtime to a job where I am on on my feet and moving all the time. My working life is regulated by a time clock and I am held accountable for lots and lots of things, whereas before at my old job no one really took any responsibility or initiative for anything because to do so would cause the wrath of the elderly owner. I know how to use a meat slicer and can deli slice anything (including very thin proscuitto (sp?). And for an quiet introvert I am exceedingly friendly and chatty with customers. I have also been volunteering to do more prep work for the kitchen. I don't mind chopping up a large crate of brussell sprouts or peeling a giant bag of carrots. The steam and chaos of the kitchen is kind of fun, and I don't even mind the big clean up at the end of the shift. It feels good to be moving. When I get home at 10:45, I am so physically tired it is pretty easy to go to sleep once I wind down.

I don't need an alarm clock to get up in the morning. I have all morning and into the early part of the afternoon to do stuff ~ I take a walk, or play my guitar, work in my little garden, and work on some jewelry, all while I am fresh and rested. Then I go to work around 2 or 3 and work my a** off. The shifts go by so fast: I'm always surprised when I have to be reminded to go on break, or go to dinner.

It took awhile for my physical symptoms from the stress of this big change to settle down ~ I do believe I had an attack of IBS when I started this job out, and felt sick to my stomach the first week or so. I lost my appetite for awhile, probably from being around so much food all the time. My appetite is starting to come back some, but I have lost 9 lbs. since I started the job. I'm taking this opportunity to restructure yet again my eating habits, mainly eating smaller portions as a matter of course (which is something I needed to do anyway) and eating more fruits. This morning I weighed 151, which is almost how much I weighed when I had my daughter twenty years ago! I feel physically really good, and stronger, as I am using muscles I haven't used in a long time. And I am tan from being out in the sun in the mornings and am starting to look more wiry and muscular. All good stuff :)

One down note: my daughter has been in the hospital since Friday night with cellulitis in her left foot. It came on very suddenly; I had taken her out for an early birthday dinner last Friday with her two grandmas, and three hours later she called me from her AA meeting to say she was having a very bad pain in her leg and foot that was getting worse by the minute, and that she couldn't put any weight on her left leg. Her friend thought she was having a blood clot and told her to go to ER. I got her there at 10:30 pm and was there until 4am while they were trying to figure out what was going on. Later on she spiked a fever of 103 so they started her on IV antibiotics, which she is still on. Her foot is terribly swollen but the bright redness is fading, thank god. I am worried about her mental state, as she is getting more and more withdrawn the longer she is in the hospital. She doesn't want any of her AA friends to come and visit, doesn't want to call her sponsor, and is kind of pushing me away. Kudos to her, she has refused any sort of narcotic painkillers, but I am worried about her bi-polar and schizo-affective disorder issues. I have to remember she is twenty now, and I can't mother her (or rather, she won't let me) like I did during her horrible teen years when she was in and out of the hospital on a regular basis with her psychiatric and drug abuse issues. I have to give her her space and it's really hard.

But in the big picture, things are going really well right now and I hope the rest of the summer continues in this vein.
SzQ

Gardenarian
6-25-12, 7:22pm
I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying your new job! Slice em' and dice em'! I'm also working an afternoon/eveing shift this summer and having some trouble adjusting - I don't want to get all sweaty and tired before work, but I do want to make the most of the mornings.

I think you and I are the same age? (53) and it's hard but essential to maintain your muscle. That is a great benefit of your job!

So sorry about your daughter. Of course you have to "mother" her in your heart. I hope she heals quickly.

Blackdog Lin
6-25-12, 7:57pm
Siouxq - I add my happiness for you. How wonderful that your life-change is working out so great. Adding wishes for your daughter's continued recovery.

SteveinMN
6-25-12, 8:54pm
Congratulations, SQ, for escaping your old job. It sounds like this one really is working out well!

It's sad to hear your daughter is having problems; let's hope that she can tough it out and the problem recedes even faster.

fidgiegirl
6-26-12, 12:24am
Thanks for the update, SQ!! So wonderful to hear the pleasure you are getting from the physical aspect of your job, and the schedule sounds like it's really healthy.

Keeping your daughter in my thoughts and wishing the best for all . . .

SiouzQ.
6-26-12, 11:23am
She will be getting out of the hospital today, on her twentieth birthday! How ironic is that? She was born on 6/26/92, in Iowa City. What a strange full circle. Her mood is much better this morning now that she knows she gets to go home. I just hope and pray that she will be able to find the motivation to take care of herself better (but they still don't know what caused the infection). Plus, what a good way to quit smoking (being in the hospital), I hope she keeps it up. She has so many issues to face ~ she needs to loose at least 100 lbs, stop smoking, start exercising more. She is making changes here and there, but they don't always stick (we all know how hard it is, even for us old people)!

Float On
6-26-12, 11:38am
I'm glad your job is going well.
I was a 'salad lady' in the mid 80's when I worked at a conference center in NM. I loved my salad job (98 heads of lettuce per meal + all the salad bar fixins') and you are right kitchen shifts go quickly.
Sayin' a prayer for your daughter.

mtnlaurel
6-26-12, 5:43pm
She will be getting out of the hospital today, on her twentieth birthday! How ironic is that? She was born on 6/26/92, in Iowa City. What a strange full circle. Her mood is much better this morning now that she knows she gets to go home. I just hope and pray that she will be able to find the motivation to take care of herself better (but they still don't know what caused the infection). Plus, what a good way to quit smoking (being in the hospital), I hope she keeps it up. She has so many issues to face ~ she needs to loose at least 100 lbs, stop smoking, start exercising more. She is making changes here and there, but they don't always stick (we all know how hard it is, even for us old people)!

She'll get herself ironed out if she sticks around 'The Rooms'.
I'm coming up on 15 yrs clean & sober.
10 yrs nicotine free.
And now am really starting to come to terms with my first love affair.... eating crap.... my go-to feel-good high since I was knee-high.

Some of my earliest memories are of sitting in the floor eating Count Chocula straight from the box while my parents slept off their hangovers.... so this albatross has been with me a long time.
Becoming free is possible, it just takes a lot of work and/or misery for some of us.

I'm so glad you love your new gig. And glad your daughter is feeling better.

leslieann
7-2-12, 10:15am
Hi, SiouzQ, and congrats on your adjustment to your new job! Good for you. I had a thought about your daughter (bless her). Cellulitis is a big deal but it could also be that being in the hospital was a trigger for her old memories from teen age years when she was in such pain. Hope she is healing well and keeping up her program. That's her job, of course, not yours, but moms do hold their children in heart and mind forever.

Happy July!!