PDA

View Full Version : wildfires

larknm
6-27-12, 12:39pm
:0! DH and I live in Santa Fe, NM with four dogs, three are large, and one African Grey parrot. We have a chevy 210 pickup and a Prius. Not a big income at all. We have land in the mountains with a strawbale cabin on it--I don't go there this summer on weekends when he takes the dogs up because I'm afraid of sudden fire and there's only one road out. That road is in the direction the winds come from.

If residents are advised to evacuate Santa Fe, I don't know where we'll go. We have a tent and two sleeping bags. Our parrot can't get too hot or cold without dying. We'd probably take only the Prius--much better gas mileage and more interior space. No destination in sight. No friends (except in Canada and we don't have passports) who are in a position to take us in. We couldn't even take much food or water, including for dogs, two of whom are old for their size and three of whom have disabilities--one about what she can eat without developing urinary incontinence beginning that day, the others have orthopedic disabilities. This is our family.

Clueless about what to do, besides pile us all in the Prius and drive. The one place I know we could go is a dog sanctuary in southwestern NM, but that place is real vulnerable to fire too. We know the people there slightly is why they come to mind. Austin also comes to mind, a very dog-friendly place, but was seriously threatened by wildfires last year. This year is worse everywhere in the southwest.

Thoughts anyone?

puglogic
6-27-12, 2:16pm
We are wondering much the same, larknm, here in Colorado. We have no family locally and aren't sure who might take us in with two dogs. You might consider finding somewhere (planning now) to board the parrot, like a vet's office in a safe zone. That would free you & the dogs up to at least camp somewhere. I'd research cabins in the national forests, campgrounds, renting a small RV, etc. Many people here are living in the Red Cross shelters with their dogs until the evacuation order expires.

In the unlikely event that the city of Santa Fe is evacuated, you don't need to worry about ruling out entire cities or states because they too are wildfire-prone. You only need to worry about today, tomorrow, and the next day. Try not to dwell on it if you can, just research your options now with cold logic. I know personally how hard that is!

bae
6-27-12, 4:09pm
If you are having trouble, my high school, a boarding school a bit south of Colorado Springs, just sent me this note, they are apparently making housing and support services available for folks as needed:

Subject: FVS Safe from Waldo Canyon Fire
To: XXX
Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 11:35 AM

We have received many requests for information regarding the impact on the Waldo Canyon Wildfire on Fountain Valley School.

The fire spread widely on Tuesday, and we are saddened by the home and property loss on the northwest side of Colorado Springs. At this time, Fountain Valley is well out of harm's way, more than 15 miles from the fires. The School is providing housing for displaced faculty, and we are in contact with the Red Cross offering our dormitories for evacuees, and our stables and pasture for livestock. So far, the Red Cross has not needed to take us up on the offer. A good source for news on the fire is http://www.kktv.com/.*

SiouzQ.
6-27-12, 6:40pm
Thinking of all of you who live in harm's way...had my exit plan from my old job worked out, I would have been camping in NM or Colorado about now. I wish I could help out somehow. It is really heart-wrenching and terrifying to see the photos and to hear of all the property loss and threatened wildlife, let alone human lives at stake. I love the west and envision myself living out there someday, but all the droughts and population growth over the last many years makes me think it would be selfish of me to add one more person to an already fragile ecosystem. However, it's pretty dang dry here in Michigan too.

flowerseverywhere
6-27-12, 7:27pm
some red cross shelters won't take pets, but some may so check it out before you take a long trip somewhere . Usually it is hard enough to keep people safe, add to that dogs that have been wrenched out of their homes and are in strange places with strange animals. Even the best behaved and trained dog could easily become agitated, overheated etc. Not that you could blame them. After a disaster like this there will be tons of beautiful animals that families had to give up that are in shelters, one of my kids has some katrina rescues that were well loved family pets before that disaster.

I think the camping idea is a good one. Pack rabies certificates and other medical records if you plan on a state or federal campground. Also, aren't their bureau of land management areas you can camp for free? They won't have services but you could be together and someone could fetch supplies.

It must be truly frightening.

RosieTR
6-27-12, 10:32pm
Can you get in touch with some sort of online birds-as-pets organization so that if you ever did have to make that request, you could? How deep is your home in the wilderness? Most of the places that get evacuated are either in the hills or very close (like, the west side of CO Springs, or small towns in the mountains like Los Alamos) so it's pretty unlikely the whole of Santa Fe would be evacuated. It's even more unlikely the whole of Albuquerque would be evacuated, and that's close enough to take the parrot to if you had a trusted bird organization or friend willing to take it. Birds are difficult pets for people who aren't used to caring for them, so it's a great idea to put a "just in case" plan in place for that: even barring a wildfire or other natural disaster, a sudden severe illness might require asking for help caring for the pets or some such. After 9/11 and Katrina, I also think that many evacuation centers are becoming more sensitive and open to people bringing pets or having a place for pets to go.

Float On
6-28-12, 12:06am
During Katrina and after a lot of people ended up here...quite a few stayed when they realized there was nothing to go back to.

I haven't heard any family updates on a few we have living in Colorado Springs and I didn't see the news photos until about 20 minutes ago - so sad.

puglogic
6-28-12, 12:39am
FloatOn, you can try using this web site if you know their phone or address: http://redcross.org/safeandwell

For some reason looking at that page breaks me up a little. I'm so glad for technology sometimes.

Prayers to everyone who's in harm's way.

artist
6-28-12, 7:39am
Contact your surrounding towns. Usually when this sort of thing happens where evacuations are required emergency shelters are established and local vets, animal hospitals and humaine societies open their doors to the pets. Services are usually set up for Long term and FEMA steps in to help. We have had flood evacs and hurricane evacs (entire sections of the Kancamangus highway was washed out and towns cut off with now power and now way to get to them without flying supplies in) and my friends who had to move got plenty of help from Gov services for relocation issues.

Spartana
7-5-12, 5:52pm
One thing I would menthion Larkmom is that if you go out of town without you pets - even just 10 miles or so from you home - while a wild fire is in the area be aware that they may suddenly close the road on you because of fire - leaving your animals stranded. I lived in a mountain community surround on 4 sides by very steep mountains and National Forest lands that only had a couple of roads in or out (very steep, winding roads subject to closure from wildfires, heavy snows, landslides, avalanches, mudslides, etc..). Many people who commuted down the mountain for work or shopping for the day often got blocked on the way home from wildfires..or whatever.. and had to leave their animals to fend for themselves often times for many many days. So what I did was make a pact with a neighbor to get my dogs if I wasn't able to (in an evacuation they will let people leave but not go back home) and I would do the same for them.Good luck to you - and anyone in the paths of the wildfires!