PDA

View Full Version : Firework-free 4th?

RosieTR
6-27-12, 10:50pm
Any suggestions for a festive 4th that doesn't include fireworks? My understanding is that most cities in CO have canceled their official fireworks displays and of course private use is very banned everywhere here. As an adult I don't really care, since our dog hates them and we usually go camping. But with a Wed 4th we won't have that opportunity, and I can think that as a kid I would have been very disappointed with no fireworks on the 4th of July. In fact, one year my parents decided they didn't want to bother with going to the city display so we watched them on TV from some big city. It was NOT the same.

Mrs-M
6-28-12, 3:59pm
How about around a bonfire? If it weren't for my kids, I could easily settle for a private get-together around a fire.

CathyA
6-28-12, 5:03pm
She might have a burn ban in her area too.

bunnys
6-28-12, 5:29pm
I do love fireworks but I agree with you Rosie, my dog hates them so I hate it when people set them off in my neighborhood, which they frequently do.

JaneV2.0
6-28-12, 5:45pm
The first thing that came to my mind was a fistful of really good psychedelics. A child of the sixties...
Not very helpful, I know.

JaneV2.0
6-28-12, 7:35pm
Camping in the back yard? I imagine nearby campgrounds would be filled up.

A drum circle? (Next best thing to the psychedelics) An elaborate scavenger or treasure hunt? An Independence Day themed costume party and potluck?

Find a hilltop away from bright lights, bring a telescope or two, and look for constellations and UFOs?

Zoe Girl
6-28-12, 7:49pm
Hi Rosie, Another Coloradoan here. Yeah fireworks are a very bad idea, bonfires are unheard of in this state. most people ask what I am doing and my answer is to BURN NOTHING. My hiking day is cancelled tomorrow because of the new fire in Boulder due to a lightning strike. I am actually mad that the large tents of fireworks are still allowed to sell here at all.

My dorky ideas are BBA in the backyard (gas grills are okay, not sure if charcoal has a ban but I never use charcoal in CO). I also make red white and blue food. Okay I work with kids, so jello jigglers in red and blue and in a parfait cup with whipped cream. Or healthy with blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream. I also make all the good BBQ foods like corn on the cob and potato salad and some meat that has BBQ sauce. Then just some games in the backyard or a park, frisbee or soccer ball or whatever. Time for family and friends. There will be activities i am sure, sometimes music in parks, even without fireworks.

peggy
6-28-12, 7:58pm
If there are kids involved, how about those light stick things that kids carry on Halloween? Or, arm the kids with inexpensive flashlights and send them on a night time scavenger hunt. A couple of kids with flashlights, or even two flashlights each and they will have as much fun, if not more, than watching fireworks.

Tussiemussies
6-29-12, 2:27am
If children didn't enjoy them so much I vote for getting rid of them entirely. Think it scares wildlife, scares dogs and the sounds are very bothersome the older I get. Plus environmentally I wonder if it all is a pollutant?

goldensmom
6-29-12, 7:35am
I like fireworks. Where we live we can stand in the yard and see fireworks from 5 surrounding towns safely and legally provided by the municipality. Last night in 100 degree weather, a neighbor was setting off fireworks and one got stuck in a tree, started the tree on fire, the fire department was called etc., etc.. I felt so bad for the firemen..….and the tree.

Good ideas here for a firework-less 4th. We’ve never been big celebrators but observe the day in some fashion. usually a picnic that includes red, white and blue food. One year we went to Washington, DC to the concert on the mall that ended with fireworks - a truly awesome experience. Now we watch the concert/fireworks on PBS and reminisce.

RosieTR
6-29-12, 10:18pm
Hi Rosie, Another Coloradoan here. Yeah fireworks are a very bad idea, bonfires are unheard of in this state. most people ask what I am doing and my answer is to BURN NOTHING. My hiking day is cancelled tomorrow because of the new fire in Boulder due to a lightning strike. I am actually mad that the large tents of fireworks are still allowed to sell here at all.

My dorky ideas are BBA in the backyard (gas grills are okay, not sure if charcoal has a ban but I never use charcoal in CO). I also make red white and blue food. Okay I work with kids, so jello jigglers in red and blue and in a parfait cup with whipped cream. Or healthy with blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream. I also make all the good BBQ foods like corn on the cob and potato salad and some meat that has BBQ sauce. Then just some games in the backyard or a park, frisbee or soccer ball or whatever. Time for family and friends. There will be activities i am sure, sometimes music in parks, even without fireworks.

Sorry to hear your hiking day was canceled! I saw some guy climbing the walls at CU possibly b/c the Flatirons were on fire. Red white and blue food is an awesome idea though! We'll probably go on a hike in Rocky, assuming it stays OK fire-wise then maybe do something like that for dinner/dessrt. I was actually checking today and so far Loveland is going ahead with their display but we'll see.

domestic goddess
6-30-12, 12:34am
I find fireworks annoying, at best, but the men in this house love them. Is there something about big boys and their toys? I'll never understand it. <sigh>
I can only hope the police stop by at the home we will be visiting and put an end to this foolishness. As a nurse, I've seen too many people, mostly children, injured on the 4th. I hate to have to drive to work on the 4th, because there are usually kids standing around on street corners throwing fireworks at the passing cars. Not fun at all!

Rosemary
6-30-12, 7:07am
I love the idea of a drum circle. We've been to those a couple of times and it is a lot of fun.

How about a progressive dinner with friends in the neighborhood? One house for appetizers, another for dinner, another for dessert...
Or a block party BBQ...
There are probably parades in the morning somewhere that you could attend in lieu of evening fireworks.

domestic goddess
7-5-12, 3:24pm
Well, I had a nearly firework-free fourth. Bob threatened to set off a Roman candle in the house, and I had a flashback to my high school Spanish class. But he didn't do it, so all was well.
DD and family went to dsil's brother's house for a barbecue and fireworks. There wasn't enough room in the car for me, which was just fine with me, as I really wanted a quiet day at home. Do you know my dd actually asked me if she could come back (almost 50 miles) and then take me back to her in-laws house? I really wanted to ask her if she knew me at all, or if she was just crazy!
There were a few people setting off firecrackers. I meant to go on the porch and see if I could see the municipal fireworks display, but I fell asleep before it started. I like them from a distance, but don't like the noise. There is another "do" scheduled at the same in-laws home for some family members who had to work yesterday. Since I won't be here anyway, I'll miss the noise a second time.

redfox
7-5-12, 5:47pm
I sure wish I could have a noise-free 4th! In fact, in my 'hood, it started on the 1st & will likely go through the weekend...DH & I are both exhausted from interrupted sleep.

goldensmom
7-5-12, 7:43pm
We watched fireworks from our backyard from 5 different locations last night but we were most awed by the fast moving, flaming orange meteors overhead.

Tussiemussies
7-5-12, 7:49pm
That sounds really neat goldensmom!