PDA

View Full Version : Books you have re-read

Greg44
6-30-12, 8:09pm
I was just reading the e-book thread and it got me thinking. I think there are very very few books I have re-read. Several I have re-started!

I have recently re-read Dr. Esselstyn's book - How to prevent and reverse heart disease - and would like to re-read Team of Rivals, but it is way too long for my limited amount of reading time.

My dw and dd's have re-read Harry Potter & Twlight books right before the movies have come out to refresh their memories...

How about you, are there books you have re-read and PLAN ;) to re-read?

cdttmm
6-30-12, 8:14pm
I've re-read Of Human Bondage several times. It is my favorite classic. I've re-read Your Money or Your Life as well as The Millionaire Next Door. I've also read The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People several times, but part of that was due to the fact that I was teaching a class that used it as a text. There are far too many books that I have re-read parts of for me to even attempt to name. Team of Rivals is a great book. If I can ever finish it, I'll probably re-read it at some point.

Tammy
6-30-12, 9:20pm
The only books i've read twice are in the C S Lewis trilogy ... malacandra, and the one about Venus, and the final one that takes place on earth. I forget the names now ...

Alan
6-30-12, 9:50pm
.... I forget the names now ...
Out of the Silent Planet (Malacandra), Perelandra & That Hideous Strength

I have yet to read any of them, but I have each on my iPad. Maybe I'll start them next.

small & friendly
6-30-12, 10:11pm
[QUOTE=Tammy;88106]The only books i've read twice are in the C S Lewis trilogy ... malacandra, and the one about Venus, and the final one that takes place on earth. I forget the names now ...[/QUOTEI

I read, re-read, and re-re-read C.S. Lewis. I did not come to his writings until I was an adult and could not get enough. I still read his Adventures of Narnia every so often and the last scene in "The Last Battle" brings me to tears.
"Till We Have Faces" is strange and interesting. "Out of the Silent Planet", again, very good.
I have read, "That Hideous Strength" a couple times and it is an amazing fantasy...much of it has become reality. "The Great Divorce" and "Screwtape Letters" are classics.

p.s. I forgot "A Grief Observed". He married late in life and was passionately in love with his wife, Joy. She died of cancer shortly after their marriage. He tells of his grief and struggle with faith in this book.

bunnys
6-30-12, 10:23pm
About 25% of all books I read, I read more than once--usually over and over again.

When I was a teenager and first started reading Gone With the Wind, I got to the point with that book where I could flip it open anywhere and read about 5 words and know exactly where I was in the book.

razz
7-1-12, 6:28am
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy was the first book that I read over and over so it has a special place but, as others have said, there are too many to remember that I have read over and over.
Gone with the Wind is another.
Lately, I have started reading Madeleine Brent' works. They are beautifully written romances but hard to find. Actually written by Peter O'Donnell who wrote the Modesty Blaise series which I have yet to find as well.

happystuff
7-1-12, 11:41am
The Green Kingdom by Rachel Maddux. It's my go-to escape-from-reality book!

Jemima
7-1-12, 6:18pm
I have complete collections of Sue Grafton, Patricia Cornwell, Karin Slaughter, and Elizabeth George and reread them every three years or so. Also several books on Christianity: Joy at the End of the Tether by Douglas Wilson, The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren, and others. Sharon Astyk's books are recent purchases, but I expect I'll be reading them again.

IshbelRobertson
7-1-12, 6:22pm
I re-read Jane Austen's novels every couple of years. I also re-read some of the early Ian Rankin books (only his Rebus novels, though). I also choose to re-read books that I loved as a young person, such as Vanity Fair, The Mill on the Floss. #

I also read the poems of various Scottish writers like Robert Burns on a regular basis, plus other Scottish writers - the Scots Quair, for instance.

Tammy
7-1-12, 6:25pm
Oh yes .... One other book I have read twice is "a wrinkle in time".

Florence
7-1-12, 6:59pm
I re-read books all the time. It's kind of like eating a favorite dish--it never gets old! Some of the books I often re-read are the Miss Read books, anything by Wendell Berry (I am currently re-reading Hannah Coulter by WB), Scratching the Woodchuck by David Kline, and many others.

Rogar
7-1-12, 8:02pm
I've read Derrick Jensen's "A Language Older than Words" about three times. I've read George Catlin's "North American Indians", Steinbeck's "The Log from the Sea of Cortez", and Mark Twain's "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" twice. I have two or three books of poetry and of short stories I've read parts of many times. There is a handful of books I have on my shelf that I keep thinking I will read again someday, but have trouble getting to them. They never seem as good the second time around.

redfox
7-1-12, 8:41pm
The Pregnant Virgin, by Dr. Marion Woodman
The Kin of Ata are Waiting For You, by Dorothy Bryant
The Disposessed, by Ursula LeGuin
World as Love, World as Self, by Dr. Joanna Macy
Embracing the Beloved, by Stephen & Ondrea Levine

And many more... Not including the scores of children's books I still love to read aloud!

RCWRTR
7-1-12, 10:17pm
I have re-read every single book by Virginia Woolf, my favorite author. My favorite book by her is probably Mrs. Dalloway, which was the springboard for the movie, The Hours, which is my favorite movie. I have read many of Father Andrew Greeley's novels and works by Kathleen Norris and Anne Lamott over and over again.

Gardenarian
7-2-12, 6:40pm
Oh, all of Austen, Hawthorne, Hardy, Henry James, Eliot, the Brontes. The 19th century is the literary period for me.

gimmethesimplelife
7-3-12, 12:24am
Two books stand out for me - Gone With the Wind, which to me is an amazing book that has something for everybody - but I didn't really get into it until the war started getting close to Atlanta, from then on the book really gets my attention. And then also The Stand by Steven King, just absolutely amazingly well drawn and believable characters.....To this day the one fictional character I'd like to meet the most would be Fran Goldsmith from this book. Rob

Alan
7-3-12, 12:39am
And then also The Stand by Steven King, just absolutely amazingly well drawn and believable characters.....To this day the one fictional character I'd like to meet the most would be Fran Goldsmith from this book. Rob
I believe that was his finest work and I've read it 3 times. The original 70's version twice and the re-worked 90's version once.

There aren't many other books I've read more than once other than the collected works of Mark Twain and J.R.R. Tolkein.

KayLR
7-3-12, 1:42pm
I've read "The Power of One," "Tortilla Curtain," and "Walking Across Egypt," and several of Anne Lamott's books more than once. I'm sure there are a few more, but those come to mind.

Spartana
7-5-12, 1:25pm
The "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy. Yes, I have VERY refined reading tastes :-)! For some reason they always crack me up and lift my spirit. And of course it reminds me of the most important lesson in life....never forget your towel!

Oh and I've re-read the Lord of the Rings trilogy too for much the same reasons.

Alan
7-5-12, 1:53pm
The "Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe" trilogy. Yes, I have VERY refined reading tastes :-)! For some reason they always crack me up and lift my spirit. And of course it reminds me of the most important lesson in life....never forget your towel!

There are actually 6 books in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy franchise. Douglas Adams wrote the first 5 and someone else completed the 6th after Adams' death. In many ways, I am Arthur Dent.

Spartana
7-5-12, 2:26pm
There are actually 6 books in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy franchise. Douglas Adams wrote the first 5 and someone else completed the 6th after Adams' death. In many ways, I am Arthur Dent.

Yes, NOW I see the likeness :-)!

I did read all the books I think - but the first three were my favorites and probably the only ones I re-read (several times I sheepishly admit). If I remember correctly, when Dave Wampler signed off for the last time when closing the old SL boards - he signed off with a "So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish" quote. Very fitting.

goldensmom
7-5-12, 2:38pm
To Kill a Mockingbird
James Harriot books
The Bible....learn something new everyday.

IshbelRobertson
7-5-12, 6:03pm

You CANNOT be Arthur. My brother-in-law swears that HE is Arthur!

Greg44
7-5-12, 8:16pm
To Kill a Mockingbird
James Harriot books
The Bible....learn something new everyday.

Finally - books I can relate to! To Kill a Mockingbird - a favorite. I worked for a veternarian when I was in HS and 1st year of college -- I could relate to all the James Harriot books and his stories, they were great.

Tussiemussies
7-5-12, 8:19pm
The only books I re-read are spiritual ones: Rays Of The Dawn, James Allen, the Bibleare among some.:)

Alan
7-5-12, 8:23pm
You CANNOT be Arthur. My brother-in-law swears that HE is Arthur!
Does he travel in his dressing gown and slippers?

ToomuchStuff
7-5-12, 10:54pm
I don't reread too many books. I only rewatch movies, typically when they are on (family gathering type of events) the tv typically (need to get rid of MOST of my movies). I start to reread them and remember enough, that my brain goes into it and it bores me.
HHG2TG was an exception, because it made me laugh so much (first heard the radio broadcasts). Chronicles of Amber was another that I reread and enjoyed. Typically the others that are "reread" if you can call it that, are reference books. Things where you need technical knowledge and they will put you to sleep.

Spartana
7-6-12, 3:00pm
Does he travel in his dressing gown and slippers?

Actually I pegged you more for the Ford Prefect type - or maybe Zaphod Beetlebrox - the 2 headed, three armed ex-president of the universe - and a real froody dude :-)!

Alan
7-6-12, 4:19pm
Well, I am an amazingly together guy!

Though my wife and daughter may disagree, the grand boys think I'm froody too.