PDA

View Full Version : It's a pay-it-forward world!

redfox
7-3-12, 8:33pm
One of the sweetest moments I have had recently came in the form of a darling text photo of Zoe, the little girl who just inherited the piano we've had in our household for nearly 20 years. The piano was made in the 1890's, and is an upright grand.

DH got it free from an elder who was going into long term care, and his kids grew up plunking away at it. DSD has been very attached to "her" piano, so we've held onto it. She just gave us the go-ahead to let it go, as she heads to grad school out of state next month, so after a week of craigslist negotiating, the family who wanted it for their 8 year old sent piano movers to the house today to take it away!

They texted me a photo of their daughter sitting at the piano, grinning from ear to ear. I actually started crying with joy, reminiscence, and the sheer delight of making a little girl happy with the gift of music.

Life is very very good.

Valley
7-3-12, 8:42pm
I love this story...thanks for sharing it with us! There is nothing more pure than being able to part with something that gave you joy and giving someone else their chance at feeling that same bliss. Too often we hang on to things just because they belong to us...not because we use them. Letting go is a form of sweet grace in action!

Rosemary
7-3-12, 9:07pm
Beautiful story! Thanks!
A few years ago I gave something (can't even recall what) to a friend. She offered to pay me for it, and I told her that wasn't necessary, that what goes around comes around. And it really has been true. I think that the more people who share freely, the more generous the world becomes.

Blackdog Lin
7-5-12, 9:37pm
Too cool.

Thank you for sharing the story.....

ToomuchStuff
7-5-12, 10:44pm
Did you forward the photo to your daughter?

redfox
7-6-12, 12:54am
Did you forward the photo to your daughter?

I sure did!

sylvia
5-14-13, 8:28pm
Some objects are meant to be passed on with a feeling of goodwill. Also seen lost objects found by others to be lost again. Interesting how that works.Karma.

Gardenarian
5-15-13, 2:55pm
That's a great story redfox. Thanks!

pinkytoe
5-15-13, 3:01pm
Recently, someone on our neighborhood listserve put out a call for old TVs and radios for homeless men who were being trained and housed for new lives. We gave her an extra TV we have along with the antenna and digital converter box and two weeks later she delivered a heartfelt handwritten letter from the recipient. He was astonished that someone, anyone, would give him something and not expect something in return.

redfox
5-15-13, 5:57pm
Recently, someone on our neighborhood listserve put out a call for old TVs and radios for homeless men who were being trained and housed for new lives. We gave her an extra TV we have along with the antenna and digital converter box and two weeks later she delivered a heartfelt handwritten letter from the recipient. He was astonished that someone, anyone, would give him something and not expect something in return.

Wow. How telling this is... Good on ya for supporting this effort! I love our species. We mostly step up and are kind, generous, and giving.

Rogar
5-18-13, 7:02pm
Love the story. It seems like the digital music age and school cutbacks are reducing kids' interests in some of the traditional musical instruments. It's is neat to hear about a young person's excitement over a valued treasure. I have a friend who has taken up violin after a 30 or so year hiatus. She refuses to play in front of anyone, which I can sort of understand. But music is indeed a gift to give to others.

Tussiemussies
5-18-13, 7:15pm
What a touching story Redfox. I would have loved to see the picture of that little girl! So nice to see that others can enjoy what you no longer need! Thank you for being so generous and kind!!!