PDA

View Full Version : Using pennies as flooring in kitchen

Tussiemussies
7-4-12, 12:52pm
Beautiful finished job and saw a site that did their countertops the same way:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/floor-of-pennies-at-the-standa-88953

Was very cheap!

Started this thread in response to a thread started awhile ago, but couldn't locate it...

Mrs-M
7-4-12, 1:39pm
Wow! Amazing! You always post all the good ones, Tussie! :)

Did I tell you that I want a penny-floor now, too!

Tussiemussies
7-4-12, 1:48pm
Wow! Amazing! You always post all the good ones, Tussie! :)

Did I tell you that I want a penny-floor now, too!

Hi Mrs-m, thought it looked great when done and sealed, just not sure how it would hold up over time...

I would love to have one too !
Think they would look great in a country, or cottage decor...

Mrs-M
7-4-12, 1:54pm
Hi Tussie. I was thinking about the great patina it would take on over time, and if/when the colour gets too dark, a little copper polish to bring it back to it's original former glory. So unique.

rodeosweetheart
7-4-12, 3:55pm
Hi Tussie. I was thinking about the great patina it would take on over time, and if/when the colour gets too dark, a little copper polish to bring it back to it's original former glory. So unique.

So cool, and yes on the patina!!

Tussiemussies
7-4-12, 4:02pm
That is true the patina would look nice and cleaning them up would take some copper finish like you said Mrs. m.:)

Jemima
7-4-12, 5:00pm
Are there directions for how to do this anywhere? I really like this idea!

Zoebird
7-4-12, 5:34pm
I would assume that the easiest way would be to put on some of the tile fixative, then lay the pennies one-by-one, and then once they are set, use grout. Then once that is set, seal it.

Rosemary
7-4-12, 6:38pm
Cleaning grout off thousands of pennies does not sound fun!

Zoebird
7-4-12, 6:50pm
I would assume it's no different than choosing tiles of the same size.

SteveinMN
7-4-12, 8:57pm
Intriguing idea! Jemima, there are instructions in the thread from the woman who did her bathroom floor in pennies. She did mention that she used a sealer (like urethane) to finish the floor, much as one would finish a wood floor.

Tussiemussies
7-5-12, 10:21am
Hi Jemima, here is a url for how to install the penny flooring, have also seen it done as a countertop. There is no grout involved just resin.

http://www.decoist.com/2012-05-11/copper-penny-flooring-decorating-how-to-tips/

You can also see more examples of the flooring or countertops if you do a good search "using pennies as kitchen flooring". :)

Jemima
7-5-12, 1:43pm
Thanks, Steve and TM!

catherine
7-5-12, 2:12pm
I love it! I think I might do it! I just refinished the hallway with a dark oak engineered wood, and was planning on just doing the adjacent powder rom the same oak. But that makes problems for the toilet because it might raise it a little too high if we floor underneath, or it might be hard to cut around if we go around it and grout. This looks like it would make working around the toilet easier and more flexible--right? (We are going to replace the toilet anyway, so I'm not trying to avoid removing the toilet--I just don't know if the 1/2" height of the wood would be problematic?? Any thoughts? I think the pennies would meld in nicely with the dark "American Handsawn Oak" floors.

Gardenarian
7-5-12, 6:39pm
Gorgeous floor! I'm trying to think where I can to this!

ToomuchStuff
7-5-12, 9:55pm
Makes me think of a show years ago, where someone placed ad's asking people for their spare change, to go to college. I can see the requests now, can I get that back in pennies please.