PDA

View Full Version : Re-introducing myself

TVRodriguez
1-31-11, 7:15am
Hello! I used to be on the old board, but it's been quite a while since I visited, and I was sorry to see it gone when I went to log in over the weekend. I am glad to find the boards here, though! Thanks to the New Road Map Foundation!

Anyhow, when I last was active, I think I had just had my second child (a girl), who is now about to turn 2. My older one (a boy) will be 4 in a couple of months. And now I'm 34 weeks along in my third pregnancy (a surprise in every sense of the word), and my due date falls between my kids' birthdays.

I actually thought of you all when I started to think of what to do to celebrate my kids' birthdays, one a couple of weeks before my due date and one a couple of weeks after. If we had family nearby, we'd just celebrate with them, but we don't. And I flirted with doing a big double party after the baby is born at a rented space (gymboree) where they will do all the work for me. Thought that would keep things simpler for me as I'll be nursing a newborn. But when I saw the birthday party price list for the place, I decided it was not quite simple enough! So DH and I have decided that we can do something small and simple at home for DS's 4th birthday with just a few kids that DS likes best. And for DD's 2nd birthday, we'll just have a cake here at home with the 4 of us. It's actually what we did for DS's 2nd birthday, since he turned two when DD was in the hospital at age 6 weeks with an infection.

And in other news, I've been working part-time since DS was born, hanging on to my job by my fingernails (since law firms like mine really don't favor part-time attorneys who keep taking maternity leave) but not stressing about it. DH's medical practice has fluctuated with the economy, but it seems to be picking up again, which is great. And even though we are in South Florida and underwater on our mortgage, we can still make the payments and the house still works for us (since DH put in a 3rd bedroom by building a wall in the Florida room), so it's all good.

Anyhow, all that to say hey! Not sure how much time I'll have to contribute to the board in the near future, but I plan to try to lurk at least now and then. Nice to see old "faces" (screennames) and some new (to me) ones!

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianCatalanC hineseCroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchG alicianGermanGreekHaitian Creole ALPHAHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIri*** *alianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMal ayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianR ussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishT haiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseWelshYiddish⇄Afrikaan sAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChineseCr oatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinni shFrenchGalicianGermanGreekHaitian Creole ALPHAHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIri*** *alianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMal ayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianR ussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishT haiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseWelshYiddish
Detect language » Spanish

TVRodriguez
1-31-11, 7:15am
Okay, and can someone tell me why there is a list of languages at the end of my post? :)

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianCatalanC hineseCroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchG alicianGermanGreekHaitian Creole ALPHAHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIri*** *alianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMal ayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianR ussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishT haiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseWelshYiddish⇄Afrikaan sAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChineseCr oatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinni shFrenchGalicianGermanGreekHaitian Creole ALPHAHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIri*** *alianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMal ayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianR ussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishT haiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseWelshYiddish
Detect language » Spanish

fidgiegirl
1-31-11, 7:59am
Weird! No clue on the language list.

Welcome back! I think the simple parties sound great. Maybe I'm a scrooge but I think at a young age they don't really remember, anyway. I don't, at least. Once they are in elementary school it's a different story. Good plan on sanity preservation!

See ya round. :welcome:

leslieann
1-31-11, 8:49am
Welcome back and congratulations on your third pregnancy! I have lurked long enough to remember when your daughter was coming....I agree that the low key birthday parties work best for little kids, and the frugality issue is a side benefit! Cake is special, a present or two is special and having several friends over is also special. Trying to keep the excitement manageable for the little ones is a help, too. With four year olds, hopefully their parents will stay and help out, and it might even be lots of fun for parents. I think there is a real concrete benefit to preschoolers to have the celebrations deliberately low key; the excitement doesn't need to be stoked with more and more activities, entertainment, and sugar for them to have a really good time.

I am sorry to hear about being underwater on the house but glad that you can make the house accommodate your growing family. And I really like the very idea of you as a part time attorney with a third pregnancy; somehow that seems delightfully subversive in the sense of making the professional workplace genuinely accommodate family needs (rather than just giving lip-service to it). Even here in Canada where maternity leave for employees is often six or 12 months, it isn't so for professional women who are (often) self employed. It is the lawyers, doctors, and psychologists that I know who end up back at work early (and full time).

Yay for you! I am glad to see you back.

Leslie

razz
1-31-11, 9:36am
I have wondered how things were going for you as the economy went under severe stress so thanks for letting us know and best wishes for # 3.
Simpler birthdays is the sensible way to celebrate as the standards keep rising as they get older and go insane in expense. There are other more useful and positive ways to spend the money on our children.

Stella
1-31-11, 6:36pm
Hi TVRodriguez! I'm so happy to see you back! Congratulations on the pregnancy!

I can totally relate to the birthday party dilemma. I'm 31 weeks pregnant with #4 and he's due right around my oldest's 7th birthday. I have totally gone to the dark side this year. :) She's getting a laser tag/roller skating party. I figure this having a baby on her birthday thing is a one-time deal. I think a simple party is a great idea.

Rosemary
1-31-11, 6:43pm
Welcome back!
We did simple parties for DD's 3rd-7th birthdays - at home, with homemade cake, crafts, and activities. But I started to be bothered by the behavior of some of the kids last year and decided that was the last at-home party for a while. This year for DD's 8th birthday, we purchased an extra ticket for a special performance that DD is very excited about, and she can invite one friend to go with us. We'll still have a celebration at home with the three of us, but no "kid party" this year.

TVRodriguez
2-18-11, 3:48pm
Wow, Stella, #4! Congratulations! I completely understand about going with a laser tag party for the oldest when she will have to welcome a new baby at the same time.

Thanks, all for the hellos and for the support on the simple birthday parties. One way we're simplifying is by eliminating the invitations for the whole class and just choosing some kids. I'm also eliminating kids whose behavior I don't like (and whose parents' behavior I don't like), since I can still do that at this age.

CathyA
2-18-11, 4:59pm
Welcome back TVRodriguez! And good luck with your pregnancy. It won't be long now.......... :)

danna
2-18-11, 7:51pm
Welcome back and good luck with baby #3............

Mrs-M
3-7-11, 1:47pm
Welcome back and take care of that new little life about to emerge!