PDA

View Full Version : Stupid woman

CathyA
7-6-12, 5:48pm
There was a fireworks ban across most of the entire state over the 4th because of the drought. Some people went ahead and set them off. The local news interviewed this woman who had set some off. The interviewer asked "So it didn't bother you to go against the ban?" And through her fairly toothless mouth she said "No! Not at all! Why do they call it the 4th of July if they're going to 'banned'
fireworks?"
Any good smilies for "moron"?

Float On
7-6-12, 5:52pm
NPR was interviewing people the other day too. I couldn't believe how many said they'd go against the ban because "how can I deny my child the fun of 4th of July like we always had growin' up"

Our county didn't have a ban but that didn't stop a 14 year old from playing with fireworks and burning down a house. Heck, even the crew mowing the field for a display had a mower catch fire and burned 5 acres.

CathyA
7-6-12, 8:25pm
I guess I've never been that excited about fireworks.
What short-sighted vision these people have about the fire potential now.
Did you hear about what happened in San Diego? Apparently there was a computer glitch and all of the fireworks went up at once. It was all over in 15 seconds.
I did hear a couple fireworks go off in the evening. I worry about our woods burning down. You can relate to that, Float On!
Maybe the people who insist on setting them off don't have much to lose??

redfox
7-6-12, 9:05pm
We've all been stupid, and will likely be so again in our lives. I'd chalk it up to being human.

SteveinMN
7-6-12, 9:05pm
I love Love LOVE fireworks, but there really is no need to make them any more dangerous than they are by setting them off in tinder-dry conditions.

I'm going to guess that the woman Cathy A mentioned has a number of really interesting takes on life as we know it. :doh:

CathyA
7-6-12, 9:20pm
Let's just hope there aren't too many humans being too stupid out there. Too much is at risk, when you're talking about property and houses burning down.

sweetana3
7-6-12, 10:01pm
My father taught us to be extremely careful around fireworks, guns, and such. When we set them off, we went to a gravel pit where there were only rocks around us. When we shot a gun it was at a range.

peggy
7-6-12, 10:28pm
I heard a few booms but overall my neighbors showed restraint. Thank goodness as it's as dry as cotton here.

RosieTR
7-7-12, 12:12am
Yeah, we heard a few here too, but it was much less than normal. Ha ha ha, the sheriff parked a car for awhile outside of a big party near a nearby lake, I think to see whether they were going to let off fireworks. Our street T's into a street that's along a lake, and those houses are $$$. Most years those houses have huge displays, nearly what the city puts on, but they showed restraint this year. Probably in large part because of the bans and presence of law enforcement, but since we could still smell wildfire smoke (from Wyoming now) I think that also helped keep it on the forefront of people's minds.

Mrs-M
7-7-12, 8:58am
http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1695.gif

CathyA
7-7-12, 9:11am
I knew you'd come through for me Mrs. M! :)

Gregg
7-7-12, 10:09am
No ban around here and this town goes pretty crazy with fireworks. We sat on our roof and watched the show for a couple of hours. It was a blast, so to speak.

We used to live in an area with a perpetual ban and there was always some goof ball who would be shooting them off. You just gotta hope that their house is the first one to go.

Side note, last year a popular item here was called something like a floating lantern. The kids called them UFOs. Essentially it was a thin paper bag that had a small flare tied to it (I never bought one, but think that was the basic idea). You would light the flare and the hot air would inflate the bag and it would drift up, up and away to be carried anywhere the wind would blow them. Aaaaaa...does that sound like a receipe for disaster to anyone else? Apparently it did since they weren't being sold this year.

Miss Cellane
7-7-12, 10:15am
We've all been stupid, and will likely be so again in our lives. I'd chalk it up to being human.

You know, mostly I think people get what they deserve. If someone just wanted to play around with fireworks and ends up getting injured, well, that's what you get. This happened this year in my town, to someone who wanted to "improve" on the fireworks he had purchased and ended up having one go off in his hand.

But if an area is in drought conditions, and a stray firework could set your house or a neighbor's house or some trees or a field on fire--that's where I think I draw the line. Firefighters would have to be called out. Their jobs are dangerous enough, without having to combat a brush fire in drought conditions. Other people's property might be burned.

I guess I feel that you have every right to blow yourself up, if that's what you want to do. But you don't have the right to be so stupid as to run the risk of other people's lives and property being endangered.

I guess I just can't fathom seeing the pictures of the wild fires out west and thinking, "Well, *my* children deserve fireworks. I don't care about anyone else. *My* children are going to have a proper 4th of July, even if we burn the town down."

Start a new tradition. Have a water balloon fight or something.

iris lily
7-7-12, 11:58am
Start a new tradition. Have a water balloon fight or something.

In my old age I've come to the conclusion that many humans just don't have imagination. Traditions exist for them. I have an advantage (as well as imagination) because I get easily bored with things, and doing the same thing on a holiday year after year got old a long time ago. So when a holiday rolls around I seldom "celebrate" or recognize it in the expected way. On Wednesday July 4th I worked outside all day and marveled that the 100% heat didn't do me in.

CathyA
7-7-12, 12:10pm
I might enjoy holidays more if they didn't seem to be just another reason to buy junk or get drunk, or consume endlessly. And it would be different if there weren't so many people using so many things (like fireworks).
I just keep thinking of Rome, before it fell. Am I a realist or a pessimist??

Sad Eyed Lady
7-7-12, 12:24pm
In my old age I've come to the conclusion that many humans just don't have imagination. Traditions exist for them. I have an advantage (as well as imagination) because I get easily bored with things, and doing the same thing on a holiday year after year got old a long time ago. So when a holiday rolls around I seldom "celebrate" or recognize it in the expected way. On Wednesday July 4th I worked outside all day and marveled that the 100% heat didn't do me in.
You beat me to it Iris lily -I was going to say that to start a new tradition takes imagination!

ApatheticNoMore
7-7-12, 12:32pm
But if an area is in drought conditions, and a stray firework could set your house or a neighbor's house or some trees or a field on fire--that's where I think I draw the line.

Yea pretty much. We sure had fireworks growing up, pick up ones on vacation that were illegal in this state, get ones from Mexico that were illegal in this country! Illegal fireworks baby. Why? Because boys will be boys and you can't always stop the urge to play with fire you can just teach them to light them in a clearing and get several feet away ASAP after lighting. As a girl I was always more afraid of them. But noone was ever hurt. Still seldom had the ones that went way up in the sky as the line was drawn there. There were no great fire danger conditions.

Tradd
7-7-12, 12:40pm
Indiana has a number of fireworks stores, right on the border with IL. Virtually all fireworks are illegal in IL, so the state troopers will often stop cars shortly after they cross into IL, to check for fireworks.

goldensmom
7-7-12, 12:54pm
The vast number of people who believe that 'the rules don't apply to me' continue to surprise me. I don't know why it surprises me because I see it happen everyday and hear about it on the news (jails/prisons are filled with such people). There are burn bans here and no burn permits being issued yet I see people burning with the mindset that 'if I don't get caught, then so what'.

razz
7-7-12, 12:59pm
In our area a community group usually does the fireworks and people pitch in to pay for them. They are then done either offshore in the lake on a platform or in special sand with firetrucks handy. Makes sense to me.

puglogic
7-7-12, 1:38pm
In my old age I've come to the conclusion that many humans just don't have imagination.

Here here.

iris lily
7-7-12, 1:58pm
Indiana has a number of fireworks stores, right on the border with IL. Virtually all fireworks are illegal in IL, so the state troopers will often stop cars shortly after they cross into IL, to check for fireworks.

In my state where we are freer than most from intrusive Nanny G regulations we can buy all kinds of fireworks. As I drove up to Iowa last week I passed many huge fireworks stores, put there for the Iowans. Oddly, I'm not aware of fireworks stores here in my city that serve IL residents just across the bridges.

bae
7-7-12, 2:20pm
Private fireworks are banned in my county. The 4th of July generally coincides with the beginning of our highest fire danger season, the area is largely forested with way too much fuel in the understory of the forest because of decades of well-intentioned fire suppression, and is one of the highest wildfire danger areas in the state. The 4th also is the beginning of our main tourist season, and hundreds/thousands of visitors are camping in our parks.

I don't view the ban as excessive nannyism, though I would have preferred the ban address the problem behaviour in the problem areas, because I can launch fireworks out over the sea without causing any fire danger, but I am prohibited from doing so, to save us from uninformed people in the woods.

I am still free to slap a couple of belts of ammo into the Browning M1919 and make some noise though :-)

SteveinMN
7-7-12, 4:16pm
The vast number of people who believe that 'the rules don't apply to me' continue to surprise me. I don't know why it surprises me because I see it happen everyday and hear about it on the news (jails/prisons are filled with such people).
There should be many more of those people in jail/prisons, too. Trying not to overly politicize this thread, I will just note any number of politicians, business leaders, and NGO officials who have been caught with their hands in the cookie jar (or some other place their usually-married hands didn't belong) and got the judicial equivalent of a "love tap". Huge scandals come to light, confirming years or even decades of malfeasance and the perpetrators get away with either the slightest possible punishment. Sadly, it's what people see, and it's what leads them to believe that the rules shouldn't apply to them, either.

CathyA
7-7-12, 5:51pm
Now if we could just get the northern lights to appear on the 4th, what a show that would be!

Mrs-M
7-9-12, 7:46pm
http://www.wivesbehindthebadge.org/forums/images/smilies/smiles/th_loser.gif

peggy
7-9-12, 9:29pm
Now if we could just get the northern lights to appear on the 4th, what a show that would be!

Hear Hear!!