PDA

View Full Version : Tuck Pointing?

fidgiegirl
7-7-12, 10:50pm
Our brick house needs to be tuck pointed (the mortar replaced in some spots).

Anyone have experience/advice?

I haven't Googled yet (plan to) but wanted to mine the boards for personal experiences. :) We think we can DIY it with proper research.

TIA

iris lily
7-7-12, 11:56pm
Living as I do in the land of brick houses I've got lots of experience with it. And yes, you can tuckpoint yourself. Getting the mortar mix right is one trick. It is dirty, tedious work, however.

Bronxboy
7-8-12, 12:24am
Living as I do in the land of brick houses I've got lots of experience with it. And yes, you can tuckpoint yourself. Getting the mortar mix right is one trick. It is dirty, tedious work, however.
Tuckpointing is so often done so badly by "professionals", that a careful homeowner will almost certainly do an above-average job. Paying any attention at all to matching mortar color seems to be rare.
[/rant]

Just start in the least visible place you can find, and learn as you go.

iris lily
7-8-12, 12:39am
Tuckpointing is so often done so badly by "professionals", that a careful homeowner will almost certainly do an above-average job. Paying any attention at all to matching mortar color seems to be rare.
[/rant]

Just start in the least visible place you can find, and learn as you go.

The cheap 'n fast guys here don't clean out the mortar lines thoroughly and they don't put the mortar full back into the lines. Agreed that a homeowner can do this as well as the cheap 'n fast guys.