PDA

View Full Version : Prohibition documentary

puglogic
7-12-12, 1:18pm
This isn't new, but we've spent the last few evenings watching Ken Burns' documentary "Prohibition," which we borrowed from the library.

Super-interesting, lots of things I just had no idea happened in the history of the 18th Amendment to the Constitution. Lots of juicy stuff: the temperance movement, domestic violence, Ku Klux Klan, flappers, gangsters, depression, political backstabbing, media manipulation, and the origins of a bunch of words like "teetotaler" and "bootlegger". Fascinating.

Trailer: http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/prohibition/

Gardenarian
7-12-12, 4:00pm
Sounds like a winner for homeschooling - lots of topics to cover! AND - it's available from my library system. Thanks for the recommendation!

bae
7-12-12, 4:36pm
Wow, thanks! I had no idea he'd made this, it looks great.

JaneV2.0
7-13-12, 9:37am
I was so impressed by his tour de force on the Civil War I bet this is good as well.

iris lily
7-13-12, 10:46am
I caught some of it on PBS in recent months. They must be showing it again. It WAS interesting.

I've got to check out The Civil War form the library. This was going to be my Civil War year, but I've not got areoun to reading stuff.

jennipurrr
7-13-12, 11:06am
DH and I watched this some months ago and we were fascinated by it!

puglogic
7-16-12, 6:51pm
Jennipurr, did you notice that some of the things they did back then (the political/media hijinks especially) are NO DIFFERENT from what's done these days? Some things literally never change, we just think they're new. Now I have to get the Civil War one....