PDA

View Full Version : Decluttering with My Family: Photos and Ziploc Bags

Life_is_Simple
7-15-12, 2:16pm
Recently I went to visit family.

Usually at some point I will go over to my sister's house, and help her declutter. Previously we organized her clothes into summer/winter totes, and surprisingly she will switch what clothes are out depending on the seasons. She doesn't declutter unless I am there to help, though she cleans in open spaces.

This time we picked one room which is partly an office, but holds all the overflow from other rooms including the kitchen. We also decluttered one kitchen cabinet.

There were 22 boxes of Ziploc bags. I received 2 boxes, as a reward for my helping ;) :cool:

Shockingly, my sister has continued to declutter since, which she has never done before, and is donating bags of items several times a week.

My mom, on the other hand, declutters in her house periodically. She unfortunately is the keeper of clutter from past generations, and from her children who left stuff behind. Somehow we were talking about relatives, and found photos of them in the basement. Then she kept handing me more photos, as I asked about ancestors. So I took a bunch of the family photos and organized them and put them all in one place.

While doing this, my mom would find clutter amongst the boxes of photos, and she got going on decluttering ;) She likes to declutter on her own, so I just did my work with the photos, and she did her thing with the decluttering.

We had a lot of fun with the photos - she would tell me about all the people in them. Some of the photos were in boxes that had never been opened, that she had gotten from her mother's house years ago. I scanned some of them and sent to cousins, who were really happy to get them, and had never seen pictures of some of their ancestors.

Also, we found a photo of my dad in front of his mother's house with 30+ garbage bags of stuff at the curb. This was after she died, and he (and some of us kids) cleaned out her house. I scanned that picture too, sent it to my sisters, and we use that as inspiration ;)

My mom and sister continue to declutter, and my sister will drop by on her way to donating, and pick up stuff my mom wants to donate. It's a good time to declutter, when it's too hot to do much outdoors.

Now I am back home, and feel I better declutter here myself, so as not to be a hypocrite. ;) I have 4.5 bags of clothes ready to donate, and will probably get more.

WHew!

Lainey
7-15-12, 4:31pm
wow, Life_is_Simple, that's impressive, especially with the photos. Too often we hear of people who discover boxes of photos after their parent or grandparent is deceased and there is no one left to identify them, so they are lost to history. You're a good daughter and sister!

Zoebird
7-15-12, 7:13pm
that's very cool.

I want to go back to my parents and go through the 25 boxes. There are things in there that I want for sure, but there are lots of things that I know that I don't want anymore (and/or don't need).

My mom said she would bring up a box, open it, and we would declutter it box-by-box via Skype if we want, and then she'll repack and send us the box. I think this is a great idea. So long as their are books in the box, you get book rates!

I know that two of the boxes are kitchen -- I want those hard core! I know that one of the boxes has two blankets, a couple of bags, and a couple of personal items that I actually miss. And, I have several books that I miss too -- so I'd love to have those.

The majority of the boxes are DH's books and things (star wars collection, etc) -- I suggested that after we go through the boxes and the ones that have been chosen to be sent are sent, whatever is his will be housed at his parents, and whatever is mine will be housed at my parents. At this point, it looks like I'll be decluttering down "only to what is sent" and DH might have a few 'hold outs.' :D

Mrs-M
7-16-12, 11:59am
You are an angel, Life_is_Simple! Keep up the great work! :)

shadowmoss
7-16-12, 4:21pm
Skype is a god-send for those of us who are not in the same country as our stuff. Mom goes through my forwarded mail (from my PO Box) and only sends on what I need.

Life_is_Simple
7-18-12, 6:55pm
wow, Life_is_Simple, that's impressive, especially with the photos. Too often we hear of people who discover boxes of photos after their parent or grandparent is deceased and there is no one left to identify them, so they are lost to history. You're a good daughter and sister!
Lainey,

My gramma on one side put names on *some* of the photos. My gramma on the other side put names on hardly any. My mom additionally made sense of some of the unnamed.

But there remain some quite nice old photos that no one will ever know who the people are. Luckily, I don't care as much about the Ancients.

Life_is_Simple
7-18-12, 6:58pm
Zoebird

That Skype idea is very good. It is the decision-making part that stalls these projects. If all needed people are in person or on Skype, that is all you need!