PDA

View Full Version : Merchant of Venice for Dummies

Cypress
7-17-12, 1:33pm
I read a few Shakespeare plays in high school and remember struggling but enjoying the stories at the same time. Perhaps with age I might try again. But, is there a retelling of the stories in a format with modern language? Maybe that's heresy but I want to read and enjoy. I have been fascinated by Portia and this particular story since I was 14. I saw a film version of A Midsummer Night's Eve that was uneven in the acting. The story came across fine but the theatrical production was mixed except for Emma Thompson and her ex-husband in the lead roles. Any thoughts?

iris lily
7-17-12, 1:39pm
Charles Lamb comes immediately to my mind as the classic adaptor of Shakespeare for children. If I were doing what you are doing I'd look for one of his works in the children's section of the library. I often use the kids books section when I want information distilled down to a core level.

Tales from Shakspeare by Charles Lamb (in continuous publication since the 1920's) is the title to look for. Now, I assume that it has Merchant of Venice in it--hope I'm right.