PDA

View Full Version : The Casserole Ladies

Florence
7-17-12, 8:16pm
Our church has a freezer with a stack of casseroles in it. *If you know of someone who needs a casserole-- new baby, just out of the hospital, or just going through a bad time, you go get a casserole and take it over. *There's no lock on the freezer and you don't need an OK, you just go get a casserole and take it to someone who needs it. *These casseroles are prepared by The Casserole Ladies who generally make a double batch when making a casserole for their family once or twice a month. *The casseroles go into an 8x8 inch aluminum pan and are frozen at home and then transported to the church freezer. *A note is taped to the top telling what is in the casserole and how to reheat & serve it. *I have just begun my casserole ministry as one of The Casserole Ladies.*

mtnlaurel
7-17-12, 8:25pm
What a great ministry!

treehugger
7-17-12, 8:29pm
That is a very cool idea! Certainly lots of groups organize food (often casseroles) to be made and delivered for someone in need, but to have a supply ready to go, at a moment's notice is really, really smart.

I will never, ever forget the people who brought food to us after my husband and I had our surgeries one day apart. And because of that, I make sure to pay it forward by providing a meal when I hear of someone in need. Nothing simpler, or more precious, than the gift of a good meal.

Kara

fidgiegirl
7-17-12, 8:32pm
Love it. Love, love, love.

Stella, take note for the service idea list? I suppose casserole making might not be quite independent for 7 & 8 year olds but they'd be there soon!

Lainey
7-17-12, 8:34pm
Very sweet, Florence, especially that it's on the honor system. No forms to fill out, nobody has to approve it, it's just there.
Great idea.

Kestrel
7-17-12, 8:46pm
Sounds like an interesting idea. I don't think all that many people in our church eat casseroles frequently, so wouldn't have the opportunity, so to speak, to make extra -- we're UUs, you know. >8) I can't remember the last time I made one, but it was many many years ago. Tho often I'll make a "casserole-mishmash" out of leftovers. We do have several "marginal" families however that I know would be happy to have a casserole to take home for themselves. We have an in-house "food bank" and it's always running low. And it seems that people who see the need to help someone else do it on their own. That's pretty much what DH and I do. Hmmmmmmm ................. Sounds like we're just not very caring people, doesn't it ... :(

Florence
7-17-12, 9:10pm
Not at all Kestrel! What works well in one place wouldn't necessarily work somewhere else. Your in house food bank and seeing a need and responding to it are very caring responses.

Tussiemussies
7-17-12, 9:24pm
In our church if someone is sick, or just had a baby, people will volunteer for so many days to bring meals. Such a nice caring support system.

iris lily
7-17-12, 9:46pm
That is a great idea! Love it!!!

cattledog
7-18-12, 9:17am
That's an awesome idea.

Zoebird
7-18-12, 10:21am
that is *so* cool. :)

Float On
7-18-12, 11:14am
That's neat.
At our church we use an on-line sign up so people can sign up for different days and post what meal they are providing so someone doesn't end up with chicken noodle casserole 6 days in a row. We tend to bring it hot, serve it, and clean up after.

We've also been using an on-line sign up to go sit with an infant in the hospital overnight so her mama and papa can get some rest. She quit breathing two sunday's ago and had a 2% survival rate. She is coming home today! So now we'll need to provide some meals and house care at home.

Stella
7-18-12, 2:38pm
I love it! Fidgiegirl, you are right, that would make a good project.

awakenedsoul
7-18-12, 4:37pm
That's wonderful! I love casseroles. I remember when my mom was having problems the ladies in our neighborhood got together and each of them brough over a casserole for dinner on a different night. I still remember the meals: chicken and rice, meatloaf with gravy and mashed potatoes, fried chicken...My dad had me bring those families bags of pears, walnuts, and apricots from our ranch every year. It was really nice. Good training...

Tussiemussies
7-18-12, 5:42pm
Float on -- love how your church helps to serve and then cleans up too! That is really thoughtful.

Tiam
7-18-12, 10:29pm
just out of curiosity, if you were to make a casserole to give what would it be? If you were to receive one, what would you like?

Tussiemussies
7-18-12, 10:45pm
I like to make homemade macaroni and cheese since we are vegetarian we are somewhat limited in the casserole department...:)

puglogic
7-18-12, 11:46pm
What a sweet post.

Stella
7-19-12, 9:44am
Somewhat related, I found this (http://joelens.blogspot.com/2007/01/freezer-friendlymake-ahead.html) list on Pinterest yesterday. I left my computer and toddler for a moment to get something from another room. I got back and Travis was getting ready to pin this gigantic list of freezer meals. Perhaps God is trying to tell me something. :) Anyway, I thought it might be useful.

Florence
7-19-12, 1:35pm
Wow, Stella, that is a terrific list! I want to take some time and see how many of those I can use. I am going grocery shopping Saturday for my first casserole for the church freezer. :)

leslieann
7-19-12, 3:45pm
I guess you could have frozen soup, too, in the same vein. I love the idea. I wish for a community like your church sounds, Florence.

Florence
7-19-12, 4:45pm
Leslieann, I was thinking of soups also but since I'm just starting I won't rock the boat with my bread and soup ideas...yet...

treehugger
7-19-12, 5:12pm
I think "casserole," in the sense of a meal that can be frozen and delivered to a family in need, is a pretty general term. Soup and chili and stew and macaroni and cheese would all certainly have a place in a "casserole" freezer. That said, Florence, you have the right idea of "playing by the rules" to start. Always time to branch out later.

And again, having been the recipient of this type of food when when we really needed it, I can absolutely attest to the fact that any food delivered with love is delicious, even if it wouldn't be my first choice of dish if I were cooking for myself. I so fondly remember (even thought this was more than 2.5 years ago already) the chili mac (plus a head of fresh broccoli), the spaghetti with marinara (delivered as frozen sauce, a box of pasta, and a loaf of bread), the mac & cheese in 2 heart-shaped ceramic dishes, the tomato soup, the chicken enchiladas, rice, and chile rellenos, the pancit and lumpia, and the turkey chili that dear friends and acquaintances brought us. Brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.

Kara

P.S. And that was just the food! We also had a crew of people (friends, family, even mere acquaintances) who volunteered to walk our dogs, drive us to appointments, clean the cat box (these were seriously heroic people!), shop for groceries, clean the house...whatever we needed really. This is all sorta related to the recent threads about volunteer opportunities *and* building secular communities. We are proof that one doesn't need to belong to a church to be a part of a supportive group.

mara61
7-19-12, 7:22pm
Somewhat related, I found this (http://joelens.blogspot.com/2007/01/freezer-friendlymake-ahead.html) list on Pinterest yesterday. I left my computer and toddler for a moment to get something from another room. I got back and Travis was getting ready to pin this gigantic list of freezer meals. Perhaps God is trying to tell me something. :) Anyway, I thought it might be useful.

Stella I do think you are getting a message, lol

While my DH won't eat casseroles, I did receive an awesome container of chicken noodle soup after Caleb came home from South Korea. What a blessing, as it was the only thing he would eat other than his formula for 5 days. At a year, the formula was just not enough.

SimplyL
10-19-12, 3:03am
I see this is an older thread yet such a great one! What a wonderful thing that your church is doing. When I started treatment injections for my conditions, I was very sick, husband deployed, two kids. I was adjusting to the medications and side effects plus going through a flare. It was our church committee that brought the kids and I meals, movie rental and snacks since we'd have weekends we couldn't go anywhere, and offered to take kids to church if I couldn't make it. Grateful for that!