PDA

View Full Version : what would look more professional

Zoe Girl
7-23-12, 7:38pm
I am in the process of growing out my hair which is significantly gray in the front. I have about an inch of good growth, before this I dyed my hair lighter and lighter browns to ease the transition as compared to some of the dark colors I used. I have been waiting to do this for 5 years so it is great.

Meanwhile I am always working on my career options. I am learning a lot about fitting in but keeping perrsonality, and dressing and acting more of where I want to be. So I have a blast over the summer wearing colored tennis shoes and my button collection however for when school starts I want to look very professional, and I am committed to the gray hair (btw it is trendy now).

I have a couple options, I can cut my hair super short soon or I can put it up in some type of braid daily. (okay I am still trying to find a way to get white highlights with my hairdresser but we are at an impasse for how much she think it will damage my hair). If these are my 2 options what do you think looks more professional, as in management as compared to front line working with kids.

Tussiemussies
7-23-12, 7:59pm
Hi Zoe, if you look good in short hair, I would go ahead and get the short hair. Why does your hairdresser think white highlights would be more damaging than someone who has blonde highlights on brown hair? Christine :)

You do have to ultimately make up your own mind. I don't want to give advice, you take it, then regret the decision. I really dislike when that happens to me!

Good luck!

bae
7-23-12, 8:00pm
I would think the answer would really depend on your work culture.

I've worked at places where VPs could get away with purple hair and mohawks, and other places where anything but military-spec haircuts were unacceptable.

Selah
7-24-12, 1:57am
I would go short and gray. You can always grow your hair longer if you don't like the short style, but it will relieve you of the the hassle of transitional haircolor growing out. Go as short as you can with it still being flattering to your head shape and face, and then just tweak what's left with color or highlights if necessary. Good luck...before and after pictures would be interesting! :)

Zoebird
7-24-12, 2:28am
I would go with whatever is most natural as far as color goes (grey plus whatever makes it blend, such as going a silver-blond instead of 'white' -- i think the issue of 'white' is bleaching your hair to cotton, which can do a lot of damage), and then cut it short into an awesome cut. That might be one of those awesome bobs with bangs that cuts right at the jaw line, or a pixie -- i like these more "stark" cuts because they really show bone structure and are "edgy" whereas other short cuts are often "dowdy" and I don't see you that way.

lizii
7-24-12, 2:42am
Zoe, I am completely happy with my new haircut, which is very short but flattering...even in my early 80s my hair isn't completely grey, but still has some of the natural blonde colour mixed with grey. I love my grey hair, especially with my new steel framed reading glasses I picked up today. A bit of blush is all I need to complete a nice, casual, put together look.

Give it a try yourself--if you don't like it it will soon get longer.

Float On
7-24-12, 9:51am
I love short spiky gray hair on women. So fun and shouts "I'm enjoying this stage of my life".

Merski
7-24-12, 10:21am
I'm going grey but alas not there yet. I got a b*****in' short assymetrical cut and some very up to date two color glasses and I feel great about turning 60. I vote go short and trendy, for fun on weekends put color gel streaks in the front.

Spartana
7-24-12, 3:34pm
You can also wear it in a bun until you decide if you want to cut it or not. Or do one of those temporary hair colors in a box (Natural Instincts, etc...) that wash out after so many shampoos. If it were me, I'd first decide how I want to wear my hair on a day to day basis - long? short? styled? natural? - then go from there and find some way to wear it for work that fits into the way you prefer to wear your hair. While I like the look of shorter, styled hair, I have found that it takes much more upkeep then long hair. Personally I wouldn't worry to much about looking unprofessional with your grey hair growing out. Just let it grow out and wear it how you like it for your job. Most people probably wouldn't notice... or care if they did notice... as long as you dressed and wore a style that was appropriate for your job.

Zoe Girl
7-24-12, 4:52pm
Okay, sigh, I still do not have a clear answer for myself. I am just pretty sure I am going to hate my hair in the process. I like it longer (just long enough to put up) and it seems to end up in a clip or bun most days, but then I have the odd old dyed hair still there.

I guess i will just go to my haircut on Saturday and see what advice she has.

kitten
7-25-12, 11:39am
Zoe Girl, can you post a picture of your hair after you get it cut?

About clothes - you sound colorful - I think you can continue to wear colors even though you want to look as professional as possible. Maybe stick with neutrals in your major pieces - pants, tops, cardigan/jacket (or whatever) and shoes, but add some color with accessories. With shorter hair, your cheekbones will be on display (as someone mentioned above) and your jawline. Draw attention to your bone structure with wonderful earrings, which would make you look polished and would also add color. A funky oversized watch can be fun. Where did you have the buttons? If they were on your coat, maybe put them on your bag instead. I don't think you should give up who you are for your job...

Keep updating on how the situation progresses. Clothes are fun, and transitioning your personal style will be an adventure!

Zoe Girl
7-25-12, 9:25pm
Okay so far it is the hair pulled up option. I still will get at least 2 inches cut off on Saturday. I think the pulled up option shows off the gray nicely. As far as super short (like 1 1/2 inches long) I am concerned about looking frumpy or like my mother. My mom looks great, however if you look up practical on wikipedia I think they have her picture. Lots of tan and earth tones, no makeup and the same haircut for about 50 years. I am a black, white and red person and actually own and wear heels at times. So I guess I wouldn't look like her, I wish there was a way to see more of how I would look before we cut, i can ask the hairdresser.

I am not sure about the next stage of life thing, I am 45 and still have kids at home. i want to look like this is rather premature. Or at least the grey that is trendy and hip right now. I have baby boomer issues, LOL. I am happy to be myself and not really with a generation, and then some great article on going gray is focused on baby boomers and being over 60. Well I just need to get over that.