PDA

View Full Version : Don't know what to do re: AC. Replace or fix?

bunnys
7-24-12, 10:50am
My central AC unit is dead--I think. I had the HVAC guy come by the other day and he said it's the compressor. It's dead. But there are no leaks and the fan is fine.

"How much it would be to replace compressor?" I asked. "$1200" he replied. And the fan is fine and it doesn't have any leaks and the condenser is fine as well. If the fan went eventually that would be an additional $275. If it developed a leak he would have a 50/50 chance of finding and fixing it.

The AC unit is either from 1969 or 1989 and according to this guy (who comes very well recommended) "they don't make 'em like they used to." He said the copper in mine is about 5x the amount they put into the new units. The new units are disposable and not built to last. A new unit for me would be $2500. plus he'd have to do about $1500 of duct work and other work under the house to make the new system (designed differently than old school) work in my house.

I am not a 68-degrees-hermetically-sealed-house-from-May-1st-through-October-31st kind of girl. I live in very hot and very humid central Virginia and usually turn the AC on about 2-3 weeks of the entire summer. However, I have lost a lot of trees in the past decade and in the future will probably use central AC somewhat more.

I don't know what to do here. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has faced this type of situation in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Float On
7-24-12, 12:51pm
If I could of replaced some parts in my AC central unit last summer I would of but mine was deader than dead and my new heat/air unit was about double what you were quoted. I hope it lasts longer than 7 years (excepted). My old one was 20 years old, my parents have one that is 35 years old and purring along quite nicely.

catherine
7-24-12, 1:25pm
About 5-6 years ago, my central air unit died (installed in 1974 when the house was new). I just could not bring myself to forking over 4k for a new one (the going prices in my area). So, DH and I made it through 3 years without one. We managed by opening doors and windows (which was a lovely experience, hearing the birds chirp and the kids play). We also had a small window unit we put in my home office, which also has a futon in it. So on those excruciating nights, we hunkered down on the futon. Side benefit: I have a laptop and desktop computer. The desktop has a big monitor so we were able watch Hulu movies in bed. (I don't have a TV in our bedroom, so this made us feel like we were in a hotel--but none of the movies we watched war x-rated)!

When our furnace died, it was obviously the right time to redo the whole HVAC system. We opted for a high efficiency one, so we got the Federal energy credit. I'm really very happy, and as a matter of fact, I've just noted that our utility costs have gone down over the last few years, thanks to this system.

bunnys
7-24-12, 2:09pm
HVAC guy just came by to work on the electricity (which, in this nearly 50-year-old house was killed in one room due to me purchasing and using a portable AC earlier this summer.

Told me he can get me a new unit that will work with the existing stuff I have under the house and install it for $1800. The SEER rating is only 13 but my current unit is only like an 8 so the efficiency will still be vastly improved. This is a freon using unit and is shipped w/o freon. He will put it in when he installs the unit. This is something the govt allowed for the transitioning time between the old and new and is applicable for a situation like mine.

This is the deal. I don't use the AC that often. I just use it on 95+ degree days when it's been hot for awhile anyway and the heat in the house has built up too much to endure.

Catherine, I had thought about window units and really tried to have them installed but couldn't even jerry-rig something with the casement windows I have. And of course the portable fried the electricity.

So this is what I'm going for. It will cost half as much to run as the old one and won't be the $4000-4500 the totally new non-freon using high SEER rating unit that was the other option besides replacing the condenser to the tune of $1200 + labor.

SteveinMN
7-24-12, 2:18pm
bunnys, I definitely would bring in another repair(wo)man for another estimate. That's a good chunk of money to spend, so it's not untoward to get a second (or even a third) opinion. I'm not casting aspersions on the current tech, but nobody knows everything and it's possible that another tech could spot a problem that's much easier to fix or even can install a similar new system for much less.

While it is true that "they don't make 'em like they used to", that's not entirely bad. Newer a/c units are much more efficient than the old ones, especially if you suspect yours may be 30+ years old. As catherine noted, if you calculate a total cost of ownership (including rebates your local power company may offer), you may find it pays off quicker than you think. And one more thought: if, indeed, there is "five times the copper" in your current compressor, you can bargain with that. Either you keep the a/c and sell it for scrap metal/copper yourself or you realize whoever installs the new one will do that and pocket the proceeds. Make that old compressor work for you one more time. :)

awakenedsoul
7-24-12, 2:51pm
I found an energy efficient window unit in excellent condition at the Salvation Army for $30.00. I installed it myself. I don't use it much, either. It's really nice to have when it's over 90 degrees, though. I also have ceiling fans in the living room and bedroom. They really help. I haven't had problems with my electricity. I know you said your was fried. It seems like there could be a cheaper solution for you.

Spartana
7-24-12, 3:24pm
I also was unable to use a portable a/c unit in my old house because it would also trip the 50 year old electric panel if I had too many things turned on at the same time. So closed off all the other rooms and just used it in the room I was in. Kind of a pain but worked for the short period of time I would need it. I also had one of those portable evaporative coolers (swamp cooler) that you put water in and between that and a fan it worked pretty good. But those don't work well in humid conditions (I'm in Southern Calif where it's dry). If you do decide to replace your old A/C unit you may also have to upgrade your electrical panel too as it may not be able to handle the new A/C units load. I don't think that is too expensive but would still add to your costs. You might want to check out if your gas or electric companies offer any kind of financial help when buying a new unit. Here, both our gas and electric companies have not only big rebates if you purchase energy efficent products (and I think there is a tax write off too) but they will actually fund alot of repairs and impovements - even replacements - if you are lower income. Even if you aren't lower income, they still have rebates up to $8,000 for whole home energy -efficent upgrades. You may have something like that where you live.

Gregg
7-24-12, 3:42pm
Would replacing the old unit with a heat pump make any sense where you are? They are quite a bit more effiencient and a lot of utilities give rebates when you install one. Not usually enough to pay for it, but it at least takes some of the sting out of the cost. You might also sell that old unit with all the copper for scrap. With the price bouncing around $3.35/pound it may be worth your time to pull that unit apart before tossing it.

bunnys
7-24-12, 4:01pm
I'm going with the $1800. one. He's installing it now.

Steve: Yes, I do know about the copper salvage thing. I talked with him about it and he uses the copper he salvages as his "Christmas bonus." I really think I have gotten a cut-rate deal here so didn't press the copper issue. It's a Carrier. Yes, the SEER rating is 13 (not that high) and it does use freon but I really trust this guy as he's worked for me a couple times in the past and was recommended by a friend who absolutely SWEARS by him. I know he's making a profit. That's ok. This isn't a charity here. My goal is to make sure the people who work for me make a fair living but don't shaft me. I don't think I'm being shafted.

Spartana--There is no way a swamp cooler would work in Virginia where all summer long the dew point sits in the upper 60's-lower 70's (it's 71 right now.) I know they're a lot cheaper and would use them here if I could. Also asked about the rebates/tax deductions for the energy star appliances. My neighbor (who got an entire system put in last year) told me the government has cut dramatically back on those and my HVAC guy told me the majority of those programs expired last December. So I'm pretty much a day late and a dollar short on that.

Gregg--there is NO WAY I'd ever get a heat pump. I don't mind being hot in the summer but can't abide being cold in the winter and if I had a heat pump I'd be cold and mean. Seriously, where I live we are at the absolute limit latitudewise to use a heat pump. Too much of the time they are blowing cold air. I know they're efficient but I would be so miserable. I lived in an apartment with one once and it was horrible. I have a gas furnace which I absolutely love and simply doesn't need to be replaced yet. I've got at least 10 years left in that (I hope.) I don't know where you live but are you further north than Virginia?

Thanks for all the ideas all. This will be fine. Like I said, I don't really use it that much and if I were to sell the house any time in the next 5 years or so, I can say I have a new AC Unit (instead of an inoperable one) and it will help my house value.