PDA

View Full Version : Subaru victory

Zoe Girl
7-24-12, 9:18pm
I am having a happy moment. I got the last registration done on my older Subaru (1995). I talked to the guy and there was no way around the late fees since I didn't do an emissions or have insurance at the time it was due, still stinks that there is no registration option for a car you are not driving. In the time we did not have the 2nd car running I adjusted my work schedule to take kids to 31 appointments in 38 weeks of school for a variety of things, including bad teeth. Right now I stay up to pick up my daughter from work since the busses do not run at 11 pm but she takes a 1 1 /2 hour bus ride the rest of the time.

So then I took in into a local mechanic for a tune up and was expecting some dire call about how it would cost sooo much to get it going. My kids said it had horrible problems when I parked it but I was able to drive it and get up to 4th gear the first time out. There may be an issue with the gas tank sensor but that will not make it dangerous (just need to track the gas and miles driven for now)

Guess what, no 'check engine' light on! Woot.

So for just under $500 in registrations, emissions test, and a full tune up we will be back on the road! Haven't dealt with tires for both cars yet but am shopping for a discount if I do both cars the same week, hmmm.

razz
7-24-12, 9:35pm
Bet you enjoyed the better than expected news. We all do when we expect some major cash layout and then it turns out to be less. Glad that you got a good report.

Tussiemussies
7-24-12, 11:18pm
I bet you felt so great having money left in your pocket from your transaction, it makes it so great when you thought you wouldn't. Good for you!

ToomuchStuff
7-25-12, 2:16am
They don't have something like a statement of non use?

pony mom
7-26-12, 10:42pm
I love my 2003 Forester and hope it has a long and reliable life. Congratulations!

Zoe Girl
7-27-12, 12:08am
Um okay, nevermind. It is not running well again, the day after the tune up the check engine light came back on, and the girls are too concerned to drive it. So i can bring it back and have him look at it again but I feel that we had a lapse in communication. I ACTUALLY wanted a full idea of what was wrong with the car to see how much work would need to be done, I am not sure he did anything besides the tune up, didn't look at things in teh car overall.

So now almost $500 down, it will be next week before I can bring it back, another weekend of either going out at almost midnight to pick up up from work or sitting home by myself with no car, and my oldest (she gave up her baby for adoption over a month ago) cannot attend the birthparent event after all.

ToomuchStuff
7-27-12, 2:40am
How long did it sit? How old is the gas? I had to run through a couple tank fulls, before using up all the gas that was left in the tank for more then a year. It caused CEL and when I had ran through that, I was able to reset it.

Zoe Girl
7-27-12, 8:56am
Oh that is a good thought, It sat about 6 months I would say, limited driving before that. I drove it last night and I don't thin k it is that bad. my daughter was upset that maybe she was just driving it badly (it is a manuel) but her 3 years driving and my 30 is a huge difference. It has some glitches and I am definitely calling the shop for the rest of the diagnostic since there is an issue with a hard right turn, but I will use up the tank and see what happens with that.

Thank you!