PDA

View Full Version : 2 minutes to add to a smoother life or more chaos?

Amaranth
7-25-12, 12:11pm
Have been thinking recently that 2 minutes of work (or sometimes less) can add to either a smoother life or it can increase chaos depending on what was chosen to do.

For example it takes about the same amount of time to hang a coat on a chair or a hanger or to put a dish in the sink or the dishwasher. One choice adds to organization, the other to disorder.

Think of each decision as a fork in the path. How often do you choose the fork toward a more calm and organized life? How often do you throw the decision toward disorder?

bunnys
7-25-12, 12:20pm
Good point and VERY true.

Unfortunately, I choose the latter too often. But this is a good way to think of it moving forward.

razz
7-25-12, 3:06pm
I do both. My purse and keys are always organized as a priority in order to know where they are but clothes and shoes, not quite so orderly

Float On
7-25-12, 4:34pm
Very good point.
I'm guilty of "I'll just set it here"....and then have to spend time looking for whatever it was again later.
I'm also bad about just tossing cash or debit card into the vast black hole in my purse (no matter the purse's size the black hole in it is bigger than the container) and then be frantic later because I 'think' I've lost my debit card or I 'knew' I had a $20 somewhere.
I should really try to slow down and take care of things the first time.

fidgiegirl
7-25-12, 5:03pm
My downfall is bill paying. We set the bill aside instead of paying it immediately. We have enough money in our checking account, thank the Lord, that paying it now or later is not an issue. So I am trying to pay immediately, like the day it comes, and file it away.

Square Peg
7-25-12, 5:31pm
The tough part for us is that the dishwasher must be empty of clean dishes to just set the dirty ones in. I agree with you on this though and I am trying to train myself to do this more.

treehugger
7-25-12, 5:47pm
I think about this concept a lot. I usually ask myself, "Will I be annoyed at myself later if I don't take care of this now?" The answer varies, but I use that as my guide.

Kara

Fawn
7-25-12, 11:55pm
I find it interesting to ready these "options" from time to time. As the only adult in a house w/ 3 teens, working 60+ hours per week...for me it was a no-brainer. You do the task now, while standing and capable. Later, you may to be too busy/sick/overwhelmed to do the task.

Thankfully, after years of observing this as standard practice the teens "just do it" themselves which makes life ever so much easier.

And now, I am working only 30-36 hours/week and sometimes do not wash the dishes for 2 hours after the meal. It feels like I am on vacation all the time.

Selah
7-26-12, 9:46am
Very interesting! My grandmother (from a tiny farm town in Oklahoma) always said, "when you're feeling bad, mop the floor. Then when you're feeling better, you won't have to mop the floor!"

I am beginning to be more creative when it comes to setting up workable systems for things so I can spend even less than two minutes to head off a potential problem. For example, I now leave my keys hanging from inside the door. (I can only lock the front door with a key, so why risk not being able to find them in case of a fire?) Now, there are no lost keys.

I put up a purse hook on the kitchen counter, so now I always know where my purse is. To avoid morning hassle, I set out coffee cups, cereal bowls and the next day's clothes the night before. When I am tired and don't feel like doing it, I just say "If I were being a good friend to someone, would I want to do this for her to make her life easier?" The answer is always "yes, of course," and presto! Instant motivation!

Finally, I read Brian Tracey's (sp?) excellent book "Eat that Frog!" about overcoming procrastination, and I am slowly learning how to effectively plan and prioritize my day and my tasks. If I do what he says, and do my 5-10 minute planning session first thing in the morning, even before turning on the computer (HARD TO DO!), I find I am a zillion times more productive and far less stressed. I also feel more accomplished and peaceful at the end of the day, even if I don't complete everything on my list.

fidgiegirl
7-26-12, 11:44am
Selah,

Thanks for the book recommendation.

And your Gma was a smart lady ;)

Gardenarian
7-26-12, 4:05pm
My dd: "why use the closet when the floor is so much closer?"

(luckily she is being ironic.)

kitten
7-26-12, 4:16pm
LOL!!

My dd: "why use the closet when the floor is so much closer?"

(luckily she is being ironic.)

rosarugosa
7-26-12, 7:55pm
Selah: I love your grandmother's words of wisdom!

creaker
7-26-12, 9:53pm
I've always called it "lazy smart" and "lazy stupid" - the intent both ways is trying to do less, but the latter just makes more work. I try to do the former but often I catch myself doing the latter.

fidgiegirl
7-27-12, 12:12am
creaker, my Grammy used a similar phrase for people trying to carry soooooo much stuff at once to avoid two trips that it ends up taking just as long to balance/transport one load . . . the "lazy man's load." :)

Amaranth
7-27-12, 12:54pm
Fidgiegirl, we had a neighbor kid who would spend 20 minutes to do only one load when 2 loads would have taken a total of 5 minutes. I have suggested to people sometimes to time themselves doing one load or two. They nearly always find 2 is faster. I mentioned it to the guy too, but he continued with the one load, sometimes creating even more work due to cleanup from dropping something. Thnking it about it now and some of his responses my guess is that the extra time was worth it to him since it was one of the few ways he could annoy his somewhat abusive conroling parent while giving the illusion of complying with the parent's demands.

Selah,
Very interesting! My grandmother (from a tiny farm town in Oklahoma) always said, "when you're feeling bad, mop the floor. Then when you're feeling better, you won't have to mop the floor!"

Guess if the floor is really, really clean, its a signal.:0!

I am beginning to be more creative when it comes to setting up workable systems for things so I can spend even less than two minutes to head off a potential problem. For example, I now leave my keys hanging from inside the door. (I can only lock the front door with a key, so why risk not being able to find them in case of a fire?) Now, there are no lost keys.

I put up a purse hook on the kitchen counter, so now I always know where my purse is. To avoid morning hassle, I set out coffee cups, cereal bowls and the next day's clothes the night before. When I am tired and don't feel like doing it, I just say "If I were being a good friend to someone, would I want to do this for her to make her life easier?" The answer is always "yes, of course," and presto! Instant motivation!

Besides saving time, this seems like it would reduce stress as well.

Finally, I read Brian Tracey's (sp?) excellent book "Eat that Frog!" about overcoming procrastination, and I am slowly learning how to effectively plan and prioritize my day and my tasks.

What a great book title! Which of his tips help the most with this?

If I do what he says, and do my 5-10 minute planning session first thing in the morning, even before turning on the computer (HARD TO DO!), I find I am a zillion times more productive and far less stressed. I also feel more accomplished and peaceful at the end of the day, even if I don't complete everything on my list.

I have found that it also helps to look at the next day's list sometime between early evening and midevening. Sometimes there is some sort of prep for the next day that could be more easily done in the evening that may not have gotten on today's list.