PDA

View Full Version : Hello There - New Here!

decemberlov
7-26-12, 10:24am
Hi!!! I'm Char, I'm 30 yrs old, live in Southern NJ / Philadelphia area with my fiance and our 2 daughters (9 and 12 - yes, I'm a young mama :~)). I found all of you from visiting Miss Minimalist...and I'm so happy to be here!! It's exactly the place I've been looking for, to meet like-minded individuals, have a place to discuss my goals and just inspiration in general.

I grew up in a house with my mom being a definite pack rat/hoarder...She was a single mother with not much money at all and almost everything we had was donated from church friends and some family. There was nothing that came through our doors that didn't leave (bags and bags of donated clothing, lots of it that didn't even fit or was incredibly ugly :laff:. My home was a source of stress for me...never being able to find things, never wanting friends to come over..it was very difficult.

We have recently purchased a home (my fiance and I) which we absolutely love!! I want it to everything my home wasn't for me as a child...serene and simple!! I've been purging my house for the past few days and it feels wonderful!! Between the 4 of us (especially the girls) we have managed to accumulate way more stuff than we need! As I've always been someone to throw something out without a second thought...my main goal is to just be more conscious and not trash things but find better homes for them, upcycle, recycle etc. I've been moving everything out to the garage for a yard sale...what doesn't sell we will donate to goodwill. So far 3 lg. contractor trash bags of clothing and 3 large boxes of toys and various unused items. Feels so good!!!

I'm hoping to set a good example for my children...we are not defined by the things we own...In todays materialistic society I feel I'm constantly fighting the media and the propaganda out there...

Enough of my babbling...hope to get to know some of you better and learn and grow with you all :)

fidgiegirl
7-26-12, 11:42am
Hello Char, and welcome aboard! This is a great place to find inspiration for all these goals.

I have a similar childhood household story to yours, though it's only getting to be at its worst right now. :( Sigh . . .

Congratulations on your house purchase!!! Please do keep us updated!!!

Float On
7-26-12, 1:32pm
Hi and welcome!

CathyA
7-26-12, 2:17pm
Welcome to the 'hood Char!

dado potato
7-26-12, 2:25pm
Welcome!

I have a few happy memories from visiting Cape May with kids... maybe we have seen some of the same things.

As you may know, there is a search function on this forum, so if you wish to know what has been discussed about anything from aardvarks to zygotes, you can type your topic of interest in the search box.

decemberlov
7-26-12, 2:33pm
Welcome!

I have a few happy memories from visiting Cape May with kids... maybe we have seen some of the same things.

As you may know, there is a search function on this forum, so if you wish to know what has been discussed about anything from aardvarks to zygotes, you can type your topic of interest in the search box.

Cape May is such a nice place! They also have a free zoo there :)
Thanks for the search info...I'm still exploring and getting use to this new place...I like it, here!

Thank you all for the warm welcome!!

Gardenarian
7-26-12, 2:50pm
Greetings! It sounds like you are off to an awesome start! I've been on the simplicity road for a while now but it is amazing how stuff accumulates (especially with kids continually changing and outgrowing.)
So nice to have you here!

Selah
7-26-12, 3:20pm
Welcome, Char! It's great to hear your story and see how you have determined to live simply, serenely, and mindfully. Not an easy thing, I know...it is an ongoing and winding road, but you are among kindred spirits here. I can't tell you what a positive influence the people on this forum have had on me--on my consumption patterns, my handling of finances, and my daily habits. It's wonderful to meet you!

decemberlov
7-26-12, 3:44pm
Welcome, Char! It's great to hear your story and see how you have determined to live simply, serenely, and mindfully. Not an easy thing, I know...it is an ongoing and winding road, but you are among kindred spirits here. I can't tell you what a positive influence the people on this forum have had on me--on my consumption patterns, my handling of finances, and my daily habits. It's wonderful to meet you!

Thank you Selah!

Greetings! It sounds like you are off to an awesome start! I've been on the simplicity road for a while now but it is amazing how stuff accumulates (especially with kids continually changing and outgrowing.)
So nice to have you here!

Thank you!! I feel like I'm off to a good start as well and it feels great!
I've noticed that by setting the example my children willingly follow in my footsteps which is wonderful motivation!!