PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Honda A/C systems?

fidgiegirl
7-27-12, 2:53am
Might attempt a repair. The auto repair boards I looked at are like Greek. Have a Haynes and Chilton manual on request from the library, but thought I'd see if there is any expertise lurking here . . . thanks all.

ToomuchStuff
7-27-12, 3:17am
You might want to read up on general a/c repair. I don't know what would be specific to Honda.

rose
7-27-12, 4:08am
I just know my Honda Accord A/C went out It was the fan. Expensive repair. Good luck.

Float On
7-27-12, 7:57am
Most AC replacements run over $800. I replaced my condenser and dryer and everything else myself for around $300 with my dad walking me thru the process. Did you check youtube yet? Sometimes I can type in something very specific to my year/brand car and find exactly what I need. Ended up the one I put in last Thanksgiving had a defect (I knew it wasn't going on right) and I just had to redo it again last month. Thankfully autozone replaced the parts for free that were defective.

fidgiegirl
7-27-12, 9:14am
Thanks all. Rose, I was interested to read up about A/C and find that a lot of the discussions/videos centered around fans and other electrical issues.

FloatOn, YouTube doesn't have too much for this problem but I did request repair manuals from the library. I think I have enough to get me started on some troubleshooting.

Prior to working on it, did you evacuate the coolant yourself or did you have a shop do it? Or maybe you did something else I don't know to do?

ToomuchStuff
7-27-12, 11:17am
For the price she was talking and mentioning the condenser, most likely she had a leak and there was no refrigerant left in the system. There are a couple reasons to put it on a machine, to pull the refrigerant out, and to test it for leaks.

Float On
7-27-12, 1:29pm
No refrigerant left. It was blowing hot air and making a horrible noise. There was metal in the dryer too so it needed everything replaced. It's easy to add the refrigerant once everything is fixed.
What is wrong with yours?

fidgiegirl
7-27-12, 3:43pm
Well it hasn't worked in a few years. Maybe all the refrigerant is gone, actually . . . we had it charged up one spring because it wasn't blowing really cool. Within a time later, maybe a few months, maybe a year, I can't remember, it was blowing hot again. So I brought it in and they said it wasn't the coolant, but we can't remember what they DID say it was.

DH is NOT keen on my trying this project. His hood latch doesn't work well so he doesn't want me under there just nosing around. So I may have to give it up . . . or figure out how to replace a hood latch! No amount of grease is helpin' this puppy! It's an awful drama to get it closed.

The car sounds like a POS but it's actually a great car with several annoyances. I thought for his bday I could get some of them taken care of without breaking the bank, and learn a few skills in the process. But not if he's not willing to let me at it . . .

Another thing about the A/C - the mechanic said about $800 to fix it. Now if we could only remember what "it" is.