PDA

View Full Version : Hi there, I'm new here and also new to the concept of "simple living".

Mcrockett
7-28-12, 11:41pm
Hello folks,

First let me say that I'm entirely new to the thought of this lifestyle but after some soul searching and watching the happiness that this lifestyle has brought to a childhood friend of mine I thought I'd learn a little more about it.

I have truly enjoyed reading the forums and analyzing my life, family and what I can do to improve my long term happiness.

As of current my life is the polar opposite of what this community strives to achive. I'm in a career that I "think" I enjoy yet provides an exceptional income. I Live a life of excess, large home, multiple expensive vehicles, none of which are fuelefficient and have more invested in "toys" than many have in their family home.

That is why I'm here, after reflecting on my life with my ex-wife and comparing the happiness we shared when we were young, living in a small home and barely making ends meet we were happier than we ever could have imagined. Who would have thought that in this day and age someone would be so much happier earning $30,000 a year than $400,000 a year? Well, it seems that I'm "that guy".

So, please be patient as I ask stupid questions as I learn more about this life style and how to better myself while realizing the "less is more".

Selah
7-29-12, 1:02am
Hi, Mcrockett, and welcome! I'm really glad you're here. I admire your honesty and your willingness to learn and to try living in a different way. Simple living is a circular, winding-road type of journey, so be patient with yourself as you learn and try out new things. There is a huge range of political, religious, geographic, racial and sexual diversity here, so you will get LOTS of different takes on things. This, for me, is one of the draws of this great forum.

One of the biggest challenges I had in this journey was, indeed, getting over the "what will people think?" fear when it came to downsizing my stuff and style of living. Of all things, it started with switching from a $20/bottle shampoo to a $2/bottle brand. Many years later, we went from a two-car family to a one-car family, and now we are car-free, debt-free, and living in Israel! :) I've tackled that "what will people think" fear and stared it down, but I remember it took me a long time to face and overcome. Again, be patient with yourself.

Once again, welcome!

Tussiemussies
7-29-12, 1:10am
Welcome to the forums M crockett, think you will find a lot of interesting ideas here that will help you on your path to a happier lifestyle for you. Looking forward to chatting with you on the boards...christine

Mcrockett
7-29-12, 2:25am
Thank you for the warm welcome, I truly appreciate it.
I see a number of things I can do differently to simplify my life and hope to learn more as I attempt to simplify my life.
I do think that certain aspects will be easier than others, I'm fortunate to have never concerned myself with how others perceive me based on material possession. Unfortunately, I have a habit of buying things I "want" opposed to what I actually "need".
The first order of business for me will be eliminating some of the unneeded toys and vehicles and possibly downsizing my home.

Thanks again,
Mike

Rosemary
7-29-12, 7:22am
Welcome! This is a great place to learn and share ideas.

Kestra
7-29-12, 8:49am
Welcome. If you haven't already, I'd recommend reading Your Money or Your Life. It's an easy read and geared to people in your situation. It sounds like you might be in a position to retire, work part time or completely change your career, sooner than a lot of us on these boards.

Float On
7-29-12, 9:16am
Its really nice that you can come at this lifestyle change out of choice. Welcome!

SteveinMN
7-29-12, 11:44am
Welcome, Mcrockett!

I had my own "live simply" epiphany about eight months ago (in essence, "My job is killing me!") and walked away from a substantial income to what most would term semi-retirement. (I've started a photography business, but, frankly, I've been enjoying the past couple of months of just "be-ing".) My wife and I tended to live simpler than most of our peers anyway, but having her support and, concurrently, the implicit support of this group has made it much easier to simiplify. My weight and blood pressure and general stress level are down and both of us are confident that getting out of the cauldron was the best thing for me to do. I'm also finding that time to reflect and think -- not just foozle along on autopilot because you're so preoccupied -- is key to simplifying life further. You'll find lots of resources here. And I have to say I've very much enjoyed the welcome I've received here. Please share as you go along.

fidgiegirl
7-29-12, 11:50am
Welcome. If you haven't already, I'd recommend reading Your Money or Your Life. It's an easy read and geared to people in your situation. It sounds like you might be in a position to retire, work part time or completely change your career, sooner than a lot of us on these boards.

Welcome, Mike!

I second Kestra's suggestion heartily.

Another resource that a lot of have found inspirational is the relatively new blog Mr. Money Mustache. (http://mrmoneymustache.com) MMM talks a lot about the same concepts as what is in YMOYL, but in a really funny way. I've been enjoying him a lot.

As you are having thoughts, struggles, successes, bring them and post them here. There are no dumb questions! Everyone is at a different point in the journey, from just having discovered voluntary simplicity to actively working toward Financial Independence, to those who have been there many years already and everyone in between.

gimmethesimplelife
7-30-12, 9:20am
Hi and welcome! I can say that as a former heavy spender and confessed ex credit card addict, nothing I bought at the mall ever made me happy and now I am selling/giving away/getting rid of stuff and I find myself thinking....what was I thinking - or was I even thinking - when I bought this, this, and this? One huge lesson for me has been that I was so miserable doing what I did to make money (waiting tables) that this was like a coping mechanism - though a very poor one to say the least. Before I get long winded here, it sounds like you are in a good position to make some choices in your life and get out of the stress quicker than I can - I say go for it!!!!! For me getting rid of the debt is a very slow moving process as is getting rid of the stuff, but every victory gets me that much closer to having more control of my life and my time.....Rob

Mcrockett
7-30-12, 7:57pm
Thank you again for the support, I have started making small, simple changes such as not eating out over the weekend. and cooking small meals for the kids and myself. Im fortunate to have very little debt and carry no revolving debt at all.

I guess the single largest step thus far has been making the decision to sell my Sea Doo's, one of my boats and my Jeep.
The boat and Sea Doo's I'm selling havent been in the water this year and the Jeep hasn't been driven 300 miles in the last year yet these are items I continue to insure, register and watch depreciate.

Small steps but im trying to use logic in my decisions.

Mike

Tussiemussies
7-30-12, 9:36pm
Sounds great Mike, you are making the right decisions for yourself. There is no one size fits all in living this philosophy! Keep us posted.

BayouGirl
9-21-12, 6:02pm
Hi Mike,
I admire the way you are thinking. There have been quite a few wealthy people who had it all and just gave it up to pursue a happier simpler life. While I'm not suggesting that you give everything away, I thought you might enjoy this article about people who have had some of the same concerns you had and embraced a simpler life.
http://money.ca.msn.com/savings-debt/gallery/forbes/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=23854197&page=1

awakenedsoul
9-21-12, 7:37pm
Hi Mike,
You sound really smart. I hope you can sell the boat and your jeep. I don't mean to sound rude, but it's amazing to me that someone who makes $400,000 a year has any debt. I'm so far at the other end of the spectrum. The Millionaire Next Door and Thomas J. Stanley's other books are also excellent. He talks a lot about high income professionals and their living expenses. I think from your sense of humor you would like his work. Many of us are big fans of Dave Ramsey, too. Keep us posted on your latest!

danna
9-21-12, 8:17pm
Welcome!!
I know I had changed a lot of my thinking about stuff about 10 years ago and glad I did because it made it
possible for me to retire at 62.
It is a different journey for each of us...............