PDA

View Full Version : French Kids Eat everything

iris lily
8-5-12, 1:29pm
I'm finding the book French Kids Eat Everything interesting reading. I'm sure I heard about it on this site but can't find that thread.

It's about an American woman who moved to Brittany with her native Briton husband and two small girls and who learned how French children are culturized to approach food in an entirely different way than American children.

French kids eat what adults eat and when adults eat--no early feeding for children, no special children's meal. Food is not offered as reward, as bribe, and there is no cajoling to eat. French adults expect children to try things 10 - 15 times before they develop a taste for it.

Food is celebrated (we know that!) in France and meal time is very important where all family members gather.

French parents consider training their children to eat well to be a central tenant of parenting, it's their job. Children are expected to behave (be quiet and polite) at all time and especially at meal time.

redfox
8-5-12, 3:32pm
Damn, that does it! I am time traveling back about 2 generations, and becoming French.

Stella
8-5-12, 5:39pm
LOL redfox.

My French ancestors came here in the 1600s, but I guess that method of feeding must have stuck it out through the move. That's how my kids eat.

pinkytoe
8-5-12, 6:35pm
Children are expected to behave (be quiet and polite) at all time and especially at meal time.
I really like this one; it seems like parents these days often let their children rule the table whenever we do eat out. We have had more than one anniversary dinner spoiled by really unruly children.

JaneV2.0
8-5-12, 8:09pm
I suspect children raised on traditional whole foods find it easier to behave themselves--stable blood sugar and all.

awakenedsoul
8-6-12, 12:01am
I feel like I was sort of raised this way. (I'm part French.) My mom was an excellent cook, and I don't remember any of us not eating her cooking. My youngest brother didn't always want meat, but he ate everything else. There was no pressure. I usually had seconds, and ate the rest of the salad. We also were expected to be polite. I loved eating, and had a ravenous appetite! I think if kids get plenty of exercise they are more likely to be good eaters. We were exhausted by the end of the day. (Riding our bikes or walking to school, taking gymnastics, running around the neighborhood, etc...)