PDA

View Full Version : Stream/brook on property?

Tussiemussies
8-6-12, 1:29am
We're now excited to be looking around at houses getting ready to purchase. One house I really, really, like has a stream in the backyard. I'm wondering if streams attract vermin. We lived close to a river once and had a problem with that. I also realize in the case of flooding the stream could rise too high and effect the house.

What are you pros and cons about this? Will we need special insurance too?

Tussiemussies
8-6-12, 2:17am
Was just doing a search online and reading some articles on a situation like this and it just isn't worth the risks. Also having the garage under the home is a flooding hazard too. :|(

bae
8-6-12, 3:02am
Make sure you understand your jurisdiction's wetlands and critical habitat regulations, because the main "vermin" streams attract in my experience is ever-increasing regulations....

Tussiemussies
8-6-12, 3:55am
Make sure you understand your jurisdiction's wetlands and critical habitat regulations, because the main "vermin" streams attract in my experience is ever-increasing regulations....

Thanks Bae, you're so right!

Tussiemussies
8-6-12, 3:59am
Is there any way we could use this steam to benefit us. I know some people generate elericity with them? The other thing I am concerned about is we have had an alert that we have bobcats in the area. I know we have bears and coyote but I a little nervous this is a place where they would come for water. Also how would a garden do that is not too far away from it. Just asking so many questions because I love this house...Thank you!

herbgeek
8-6-12, 6:43am
Its unlikely you can use the stream to benefit you, but it would depend on your local laws. In MA where I live, streams and rivers are protected by all kinds of regulations, and diverting water or changing flow etc is a big no no. Perhaps not impossible, but would have to go through many reviews and be subject to a lot of extra cost.

ctg492
8-6-12, 7:33am
Our river is designated a "blue ribbon trout stream" by the state, out in the middle of no where. We can not even put rocks on the shore to stop erosion without permits and inspection. I love the critters that are there because of the river.

catherine
8-6-12, 8:13am
I, personally, think the stream would have more to offer than not. I've rented properties in Vermont where there were streams cutting through the lot (lots of them actually), and they were like a fountain you didn't have to pay for. Also, I have a brook behind my house--but it's probably a good 150 ft. behind my house, so it's not part of the "living area" by any means. I love it--I love the wildlife it attracts (as small as that can be in a suburb), but it's really nice. The dog likes it, too.

I am by no means an expert, but I would imagine the unwanted element could be determined and somewhat controlled by the surrounding habitat? Are there trees around it? What is the buffer like? Are there grasses and other vegetation surrounding it? I'd ask an expert before you pass on the house because of worries about the stream.

CathyA
8-6-12, 8:16am
We have a very large stream meandering through our property. It has 6 90 degree turns, and usually floods 1-2 times a year, which has lead to alot of erosion. For quite a few years, we had beavers. They would come up into the yard and chew down trees. They destroyed many trees along the stream. They were a real problem. It does attract all sorts of wildlife.........which can be both good and bad. We have had several major log jams in it, which are a real pain to deal with.
How wide is the stream you're looking at? Can you find out how often it floods and how much? Even though our lower property can completely flood over, the insurance people say its not in a flood plain.........which is odd.........so you should find out how much of this is in a flood plain.
There are many good things about having a creek through you property.........and some not-so-good. Try to figure it out ahead of buying the place.

razz
8-6-12, 8:36am
Avoid a garage under a house if you can. Much more expensive to heat and cool a house of that design. I would stay away from a stream that is any nearer than 1000 fee and if the basement or cellar is at the same depth as the stream, you will have a wet basement every rainfall of any volume never mind the spring thaw.

CathyA
8-6-12, 10:52am
Another thought.......why don't you talk to some of the neighbors who live next to the stream and get their pros and cons?
I also should have mentioned that even though our house is about 50' from our creek, our house and immediate yard are about 15' higher than the creek. When it floods, it floods a large lower area and has never gotten dangerously close to our house.
I like having the creek.........I just wish we could move it about 500' further away.

About the garden........you will need to build a very strong garden fence. Since you have bears and others than could climb, you would need to add an electric fence to the top of it. They have solar ones.

Tweety
8-6-12, 11:03am
My 1 acre lot has a creek at the bottom, and I love it! I enjoy the thought that if I could possibly float down the creek I would reach the St. Joseph River, then Lake Michigan, and ultimately the Atlantic ocean. It is my connection to that seashore I was born by, and love. The house is near the front of the lot and is about 30 ft above the level of the creek, well above flood level. That has never been a problem and I enjoy most of the wildlife that use the creek. This year the creek dried up for the first time in about 25 years thanks to the drought and I miss it!

ToomuchStuff
8-6-12, 11:59am
Is there someway you could find out (newspapers, neighbors and such) about how often and to what extent it has flooded in the past?

CathyA, I think I remember your letter: http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/dammed.asp
LOL

CathyA
8-6-12, 12:21pm
lol ToomuchStuff! That's good!

Tussiemussies
8-7-12, 1:31am
Thank you everyone for all your replies. It helped so much to read what each and everyone had to say. DH and I decided not to move forward with this house for this reason. I had also read on the Internet that a strea needs work done on it every two years to remove the silt that buils up in it.

We will find another house wesaw one today but the neighbor's home was a really big mess so we said no to that too.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned not to buy a house with the garages underneath, I had also read when searching the Internet for information that they also have a tendency to also flood, so now I'm more informed! Thanks so much!:)