PDA

View Full Version : Community in my garden....

litlwons
2-1-11, 8:05pm
We live in suburbia and have 1/4 of an acre. I love to garden, and take a lot of pride inmy garden, but I let it slide sometimes. Mostly this is because of my kids just needing to be out of the house and me needing to be there with them, and not being in the garden. Something else though is that I get lonely working in the garden alone all the time. don't get me wrong, I love my alone time (I wish I had more) I would love some community in my garden.
I have been thinking, if I was really working it, even my little 1/4 of an acre could produce a good amount of food. I want to ask some friends that do not have garden access to help me with my garden and in turn bringing home some food that we have grown. I have chickens so eggs could be part of the bounty as well.... I just want some communtiy in my garden, I think it would be so much more fun. i feel the same way about cooking, but that is a different post....
Do any of you do this with your garden? My boys and husband just don't really want to be out there with me to work... and I want some company.

Kathleen in San Diego

puglogic
2-1-11, 9:56pm
litlwons,
I don't share my garden (it's very small) but a neighbor this year offered to share hers with me. She has a huge, huge space and just can't keep up with it, and so she asked me whether I would like to use half of it this year. I was so touched I almost cried....I am always wishing I had more space. It's also wonderful to have someone with whom you can take a break in the shade with a cool drink and talk potatoes. Or cilantro. Or tomato hornworms. Whatever! :) We agreed that I would pay her something for the water used and I've promised to grow only organic, no chemicals or GMOs. It's a wonderful arrangement....I highly recommend it!
pug

clear water
2-8-11, 12:31am
Puglogic What a great idea your neighbor had. I hope that it catches on. Many gardeners are getting older now and need to pass on their skills. Taking on a younger gardener and sharing garden space is the right direction. In many communities people match up yards with people in apartments who want to garden an some with yards that don't have the time or urge to garden.