PDA

View Full Version : Knit, knit, knit~

Aspen
8-10-12, 10:13am
I've been working on my knitting skills and really enjoying the learning process. I've found that small projects are perfect. I've been on a dish cloth kick, which are just the right size to learn new stitches and techniques. My big project will be a knit jacket this fall...and socks. I adore socks!

artist
8-10-12, 10:26am
Enjoy!. I teach a knitting class on Saturday mornings out of my home and I absolutely love to knit. I'm working on a cable knit afgan right now. I have students doing winter gear for Christmas gifts so lots of mittens, fingerless gloves, hats etc...

Float On
8-10-12, 10:56am
I'm in a knitting group that meets once or twice a month. It's always fun to learn something new and sit and chat.

IshbelRobertson
8-10-12, 11:10am
I used to love to knit, but arthritic fingers make it difficult to hold heavier items nowadays. I still love to make items for babies and children or very fine yarn sweaters and cardigans.

My mum and both grannies were amazing knitters. My paternal granny was a marvel. She used to knit complicated fair isle garments with no written patterns. She knitted from memory.

I used to love to knit Aran patterns - but I DID have to use written patterns!

winterberry
8-10-12, 11:14am
Are there any knitting blogs or websites that any of you recommend?

sweetana3
8-10-12, 12:12pm
My mominlaw who just moved here had to move her stash. In fact she gave her knitting group 27 bags of yarn. Still has two closets full. She uses the craft to keep her fingers nimgle due to arthritis.

We have not yet found a group but are going to start one in her retirement community in a couple of months when she is settled. If even a few people come, it would be great and the complex has 7 buildings with almost 75 units per building so there are a lot of people living there. I figure I will bribe them with cookies and such so they will come and check it out.

razz
8-10-12, 1:51pm
It is the finishing that is a stinker. I have the decreases yet to do for DH's vest and his heavy bulky knit needs the groagrain ribbon for the buttonholes stitched and it will be done.
Sweetana, it may take a few months but new people will gravitate to the group once even a couple of people start meeting. It is such a lovely group project and newcomers to knitting are so eager and oldtimers love to share.

awakenedsoul
8-10-12, 3:00pm
I just started knitting about a month ago. I love it. too! Like you, I've made several dishcloths. I'm going to make a set for my mother for Christmas. We have a knitting group that meets at our library once a month. We're hoping to have it every week. It's a relaxing hobby, and inexpensive, too.

shadowmoss
8-10-12, 3:37pm
I started knitting a Sawtelle sweater a few months ago. Then I found that knitting a wool sweater in the summer in Honduras without airconditioning wasn't a good idea. I'm looking forward to getting back to it when I don't sweat from the weight of the wool on my lap.

artist
8-10-12, 6:52pm
Try Kollage square circular knitting needles. They are a dream to knit with with my arthitis. The circular needle is much easier on your hands and the square shape of the shaft makes holding them very comfortable and less stressful on the muscle groups in your fingers.

I used to love to knit, but arthritic fingers make it difficult to hold heavier items nowadays. I still love to make items for babies and children or very fine yarn sweaters and cardigans.

My mum and both grannies were amazing knitters. My paternal granny was a marvel. She used to knit complicated fair isle garments with no written patterns. She knitted from memory.

I used to love to knit Aran patterns - but I DID have to use written patterns!

Florence
8-10-12, 9:14pm
I am in awe of all you knitters!

artist
8-10-12, 9:39pm
It's really easy to learn. I just taught an 11 year old boy how to do cables.

I am in awe of all you knitters!

Rosemary
8-10-12, 9:42pm
I am an advanced beginner knitter and really enjoy it also. It has taught me a lot about being in the moment and meditation.

Tussiemussies
8-10-12, 10:46pm
That is great Aspen that you are picking it up so well and enjoying it. I love the idea of the socks! :) when you do try the socks, I would love to see a picture of them!

I used to knit a little bit in the past, last project was a baby blanket...

Tussiemussies
8-10-12, 10:49pm
WOW, there are just do many talented people on this board. It's enjoyable to read about what everyone is doing and inspiring!:)

Tussiemussies
8-11-12, 12:22am
Hey Aspen, just a thought, I am signed up for the Lion Brand Yarn email that comes about once a week with pictures of projects that are sometimes knit and sometimes crochet, and the directions are free. The items they display are very up-to-date and pretty!:)

Polliwog
8-12-12, 7:48pm

The best knitting and crocheting site I know of is Ravelry.com - check it out. It is amazing!

Dhiana
8-12-12, 7:51pm

www.ravelry.com

A friend of mine is learning to knit via: www.craftsy.com

Tradd
8-12-12, 8:37pm
A friend began to teach me to knit about 10 years ago. But I soon discovered it hurt my wrists something awful (carpal tunnel), so I had to give it up. I was sorry, since I loved it. Same with sewing - working the wheel to move the needle up and down? Ouch! :(

Tussiemussies
8-12-12, 10:34pm
Hi winterberry, for a website Lion Brand Yarn, that is the whole name is a great site with really nice projects and free instructions. You need to look under projects on the left side menu. You can also type in what type of item you want to make and it will come up with options.

I get a weekly email from them where they display usually 6 projects and directions. Most of them are so pretty. They also have a page on Facebook too.

Have fun!:)

Aspen
8-23-12, 8:25pm
My favorite site for knitting is Ravelry. Free to join, tons of patterns and ideas, wonderful community!

Aspen
8-28-12, 6:14pm
Whenever I need to learn a new stitch or technique for a project and can't get to the local yarn store (they are awesome, there BTW), I can always find excellent technique videos on You Tube. I watch a few times and then refer back if needed when I am actually doing it. This is good for those insomniac knitting sessions. I have also found that knitting is good meditation--I have trouble just sitting still without fidgeting, so knitting is an excellent alternative!

Taffy
9-19-12, 2:32am
Hello from Germany. I picked up knitting a year ago again. I am not very good with patterns, but with a simple ;) design. I just knitted 2 swirls, which turned out great. Right now I have a seemless yoke on my needles. I bought a book for that, but then I actually used a pattern I had found on Ravelry long before. I hope the sweater will turn out good, but it looks fine so far.
As for wool, I mostly use plarn - plastic yarn - because its cheap and it wont shrink ;). My needles are from knit pro, the wood ones whith the changing tips. I also had the metal and plastic ones, but I now only use the wood ones.

Sad Eyed Lady
9-19-12, 2:43pm
I started learning to knit a few years ago with the hope of one day making socks. Last week I finished a pair that actually look like a pair of socks! I have made a few pair before but they were not the kind you would want to show off. So, I am finally achieving my goal of making a simple pair of socks, (love the sock yarn with self striping or self patterning), and hope this is the first of many that will get better and better. I also have made my share of dishcloths and still work on them - everyone loves them for a gift it seems - and they are easy and fun to do. My knitting group meets at the library once a week and we have recently grown by leaps and bounds. Lots of fun!

awakenedsoul
9-19-12, 10:57pm
I started learning to knit a few years ago with the hope of one day making socks. Last week I finished a pair that actually look like a pair of socks! I have made a few pair before but they were not the kind you would want to show off. So, I am finally achieving my goal of making a simple pair of socks, (love the sock yarn with self striping or self patterning), and hope this is the first of many that will get better and better. I also have made my share of dishcloths and still work on them - everyone loves them for a gift it seems - and they are easy and fun to do. My knitting group meets at the library once a week and we have recently grown by leaps and bounds. Lots of fun!

That's neat Sad Eyed Lady. I would love to be able to knit socks. I'm still in the rectangle stage. I just made a basket weave pouch for my notions, and it came out really nicely. I made up the design, and it looks like a wrapped present. We have a library group, too. It only meets once a month, though. That's great that yours is doing so well.

cattledog
9-20-12, 8:14am
I just finished a long duster sweater (mid-thigh) for myself. What a slog. That took most of the summer. Now that the weather is turning cooler, I have my knitting mojo back. I just finished a vest for my DD and a shawl for me. On the needles right now I have another shawl and a fair isle sweater. I love fair isle. I'm always amazed at how fast it progresses! Probably because I have to concentrate on a chart.

I need to get a pair of socks knitted up for DH's b-day and I need to start thinking about Christmas knitting.

The only thing I have yet to try is steeking. I need to just plunge in and learn it so I can make fair isle cardigans. I'll have to practice on a child's sweater one of these days.

Aspen
9-20-12, 4:56pm
It is fun to try new stitches and patterns. I have a project going that is for "social" knitting that is simple and doesn't require much thought or close attention to a pattern. Anything more complicated I keep at home where I can concentrate while I have good music playing in the background.