PDA

View Full Version : Nice Time in New Mexico

San Onofre Guy
8-13-12, 6:19pm
I returned from a nice trip to New Mexico last week. We met our son in that airport in Albuqurque. He has been working in Maine at a Scout Camp since June and we met him to take him to Philmont where he met up with his troop for a ten day backpack. He and I did a similar trek in 2009 so it was nice to visit again, this time with my wife. The Highlights:

Las Vegas New Mexico, the historic downtown with great art and a wonderful independent bookstore. This town is a true gem.
St James Hotel in Cimmiron, great history.
Villa Philamonte which is the mansion of Waite Phillips who donated the land on which is now Philmont Scout Reservation. This is the Hearst Castle of the cowboys.
Taos Pueblo, it is nice seeing the history and hearing the docent describe the ruined church. But this is a depressing place. One hears talk of pride but it could be better kept.
Inn on the Rio a wonderful B&B type motel in Taos.
The High Road from Taos to Santa Fe
The back road through the mountains from Santa Fe to Albuquerque through Madrid which is a great little artist community.

Float On
8-13-12, 9:46pm
Loved hearing about your trip. I lived outside of Santa Fe in '85 and have always wanted to go back and try living in the area again. We do an art show in Albuquerque every few years just so I can get my NM fix.

Rosemary
8-13-12, 10:01pm
I went backpacking in the Jemez mountains one year when I lived in AZ.. northern NM is beautiful.

Tussiemussies
8-13-12, 10:03pm
Sounds like such a nice time and place. I've never been there but from your description it sounds like a great vacation spot...

iris lily
8-14-12, 12:54am
I lived in New Mexico for three years. It was an interesting contrast to the midwest. Santa Fe is a fascinating place to visit, and Taos has some cool stuff. The Museum of Fol Art is fabulous.