PDA

View Full Version : For the Downton Abbey Junkies out there

mtnlaurel
8-22-12, 6:10am
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/22/6-best-spoof-videos-of-the-emmy-nominated-period-drama-downton-abbey.html

I have only watched the first one of the Jimmy Fallon spoofs so far..... REALLY SILLY!

I'm totally jonesing for my D.A. fix.
I thought we just had to wait until fall, but looks like it doesn't come to US until January. Ugh.

Can you find it someplace on the web this fall, if you can't wait that long?

Tradd
8-22-12, 7:13am
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/22/6-best-spoof-videos-of-the-emmy-nominated-period-drama-downton-abbey.html

I have only watched the first one of the Jimmy Fallon spoofs so far..... REALLY SILLY!

I'm totally jonesing for my D.A. fix.
I thought we just had to wait until fall, but looks like it doesn't come to US until January. Ugh.

Can you find it someplace on the web this fall, if you can't wait that long?

Unless it's an illegal site, no.

peggy
8-22-12, 10:49am
I guess we can count ourselves lucky that the British are going ahead with this story anyway. They don't normally do that. They tell a story and when it ends, it's over. In the states, every story is started with an eye to perpetual telling, plus sequels and spin-offs! >8)

Gingerella72
8-23-12, 11:55am
PBS has full episodes of DA available to watch for free on their website. The length of time they have the videos up is limited so you'll have to check to see which ones are available. Last winter before we got our antenna and could watch PBS on TV, we kept up with the show via PBS.org.

Edited to add: I just reread the original post closer (oops) and no, PBS won't have the 3rd season on the website until it actually starts showing in January.

bunnys
8-23-12, 4:50pm
I checked on the ITV website for part 2 before it was supposed to come on in the US but had already aired in UK. They had it up there but it was blocked from streaming in NA.

redfox
8-23-12, 6:00pm
I have a friend in the UK... Will see if she has access to DVD's & can send them to me! Or... Suck it up & wait for the dead of winter to indulge again...

sweetana3
8-23-12, 8:44pm
Redfox do you have a DVD player that shows all regions?

redfox
8-23-12, 9:23pm
Redfox do you have a DVD player that shows all regions?

Oh, gosh, I have no idea! How do I tell? Are British DVD's different?

iris lily
8-24-12, 12:54am
I haven't seen season two but for one weird episode that confused me. This show is lacking in plot, it seems to be meandering. We had a thread on its problems a while back. But never fear, I will still watch it beginning to end because I never miss these BBC costume dramas.

goldensmom
8-24-12, 6:31am
I'm not a Downton Abbey junky, I've only watched a couple of episodes but I appreciate a good parody. I only watched the first video, parts 1 and 2, thought it well done and forwarded it to my DA junky friends. Thanks for the link.

IshbelRobertson
8-24-12, 9:00am
Iris Lily, DA is made by the Beeb's rival channel, ITV!

iforonwy
8-28-12, 10:38am
If anyone is so much of a fan that they would like any cuttings from magazines and TV listings that I come across regarding the new(in the UK) series and they can wait until I return from your side of the pond - mid September - then I will be more that happy to send them via snail mail.

Tradd
8-28-12, 1:37pm
If anyone is so much of a fan that they would like any cuttings from magazines and TV listings that I come across regarding the new(in the UK) series and they can wait until I return from your side of the pond - mid September - then I will be more that happy to send them via snail mail.

That sounds FAB! But is there any chance of a scanned copy via email? Thanks!

CeciliaW
8-28-12, 1:48pm
The only problem with this sort of show is that we all fantasize we'd be the Lord or Lady of the Manor. Thing is, it's statistically more likely we'd end up as the kitchen help. :D

I still enjoy the show.

Tweety
8-28-12, 5:31pm
I bought the DVDs of season 1 & 2 that PBS was selling at a reduced price last Spring. They were the British version (some scenes were cut out for the USA airings. Apparently we have such short attention spans that it was thought that we wouldn't watch the long versions!) I have been watching them again, one episode per day, to get myself prepared.
BTW, I'm a plumber's daughter, I KNOW where I'd fit in there!

iforonwy
9-1-12, 11:57am
Tradd, I will see how much I collect and then have a go at scanning it. I don't think it will be a great deal. It will be mid-September before I am able to do anthing though.

My grandmother was Head Cook in a not-so-grand house. Her brother, my great-uncle was a gardener on the Hawarden Castle Estate, home of Prime Minister W E Gladstone, and I believe that great-uncle's father-in-law was the gamekeeper there.

I come very much from "trade" although DH's ancestors always appear as Merchant or Gentleman on their BMD certificates.

bunnys
9-1-12, 3:13pm
...DH's ancestors always appear as Merchant or Gentleman on their BMD certificates.

What's a BMD certificate?

iforonwy
9-1-12, 5:55pm
Birth, Marriage, Death Certificates.

mtnlaurel
9-3-12, 3:47pm
Here is a SILLY org chart of the characters I stumbled across today:
http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Downton-Abbey-Explained2.jpg

And here are some ridiculously complicated (to me) instructions on how to view it with the UK audience this fall:
http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/08/downtonhack.html

Cledwyn
11-1-12, 4:02pm
I've watched every single episode of season three live on ITV using TunnelBear: http://www.tunnelbear.com/

redfox
11-25-12, 9:36pm
Charachter changes coming...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2238123/Shock-Downton-Abbey-fans-Dan-Stevens-returning-season-four.html

Florence
11-25-12, 10:27pm
Ack!:(

Zoebird
11-25-12, 11:04pm
Here we can watch it as a group at the local movie theater. It's all done up for Downton, too. Every thursday night. Too bad it keeps DS up or we would go. :)

BTW, those are hilarious.

iris lily
11-26-12, 12:13am
Charachter changes coming...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2238123/Shock-Downton-Abbey-fans-Dan-Stevens-returning-season-four.html

ha, I came upstairs right this moment from watching Ep 3, Season 2 of Downton. I'm always behind on these things.

I agree with one of the comments below this article: Downton jumped the shark after Season 1 and Matthew/Mary are boring. I can't remember why she threw him over in the last episode of that last season, and now she seems to want him back (?) Fickle airhead.

The actress who plays Mary had a role in Anna Karenina which is playing in theaters right now.

pony mom
11-27-12, 12:15am
I still don't rate it as THE best PBS series ever (according to my PBS station). It's good, the settings and costumes are great, and Dame Maggie is good as ever. But better than Upstairs, Downstairs? I think more people are watching DA because there isn't much on regular tv at the moment. Word of mouth and streaming episodes online made it bigger as well. I don't see what all the hype is about.

iris lily
11-27-12, 12:22am
I still don't rate it as THE best PBS series ever (according to my PBS station). It's good, the settings and costumes are great, and Dame Maggie is good as ever. But better than Upstairs, Downstairs? I think more people are watching DA because there isn't much on regular tv at the moment. Word of mouth and streaming episodes online made it bigger as well. I don't see what all the hype is about.

It's been a few years since I watched Upstairs Downstairs on dvd, but it's easily as good as Downton Abbey considering the huge limitation of budget that UD had in comparison to DA. DA has such gorgeous indoor and outdoor sets, shooting locations, and a very large cast to keep things interesting.

Besides, I have always preferred Duchess of Duke Street to Upstairs Downstairs. I loved Luisa's clothes and I always liked the dramatic opportunities inherent in a series set in a hotel--lots of guests coming and going and lots of possibilities there.

IshbelRobertson
11-27-12, 8:46am
I loved the Duch of DS, too.

I have last year's Christmas episode of DA AND the whole second series recorded, but haven't had time to watch. Today, my newspaper said that this Christmas' episode has been timed to overlap with the Christmas episode of Call the Midwife ( i hate it when the Beeb and ITV do that!) so that'll be another taped episode! I really must make the time to view.

Florence
11-27-12, 4:35pm
Iris Lily, you've done it again! I've never seen ( or heard of) The Duchess of Duke Street. It sounds like something I would really enjoy! You have put me onto so many books and movies! Thanks! It is now at the top of my Neflix queue.

iris lily
11-27-12, 9:03pm
Iris Lily, you've done it again! I've never seen ( or heard of) The Duchess of Duke Street. It sounds like something I would really enjoy! You have put me onto so many books and movies! Thanks! It is now at the top of my Neflix queue.

Oh goo! I just hope that Louisa's Cockney talk and rough manner doesn't turn you off. I think she's great, but some people can't stand the actress' portrayal.

mtnlaurel
12-18-12, 10:29pm
We just watched last Thursday's Colbert Report that we had recorded....
A silly skit of Downton Abbey meets Breaking Bad:

Click the top video
WARNING - THERE ARE CURSE WORDS
http://splitsider.com/2012/12/late-night-roundup-colberts-breaking-abbey-and-jimmy-fallon-interviews-martin-short/

Tiam
12-18-12, 11:05pm
Mrs. Danvers!:D

iris lily
12-18-12, 11:54pm
We just watched last Thursday's Colbert Report that we had recorded....
A silly skit of Downton Abbey meets Breaking Bad:

Click the top video
WARNING - THERE ARE CURSE WORDS
http://splitsider.com/2012/12/late-night-roundup-colberts-breaking-abbey-and-jimmy-fallon-interviews-martin-short/

That is a scream!!!! How'd they get those English guys to do this?! Making black crank in the tea service, it's priceless! I love Breaking Bad, too.

mtnlaurel
12-19-12, 7:25am
That is a scream!!!! How'd they get those English guys to do this?! Making black crank in the tea service, it's priceless! I love Breaking Bad, too.

My fave was in the desert drug pick up.... "Carson is there someone addressing me?"

When it came on I was thinking 'Oh, This will be cute', then once I realized it was the actual actors from Downton Abbey doing the skit... it was as if I was seeing The Beatles on TV. :)

iris lily
12-19-12, 9:13am
My fave was in the desert drug pick up.... "Carson is there someone addressing me?"

When it came on I was thinking 'Oh, This will be cute', then once I realized it was the actual actors from Downton Abbey doing the skit... it was as if I was seeing The Beatles on TV. :)

oh yes the calling card, haha super funny! And Thomas, in character, blaming the valet for the recipe leak!

bUU
12-30-12, 7:47am
Is anyone else having a hard time avoiding all the Spoilers being published in US press about what's going to happen during the upcoming season of Downton Abbey? I can understand international and British press spewing such spoilers, but why is this stuff showing up on our local news channel website?!?

BarbieGirl
1-15-13, 8:38pm
Love Downton Abbey! As I've read in other posts...yes the plot meanders but it's good clean fun!

Tweety
1-16-13, 3:38pm
Of course it's clean, it is so delightfully soapy!

Spartana
1-16-13, 4:03pm
Of course it's clean, it is so delightfully soapy!
A High Society British historic period soap opera! One that, while not addicted to it, I have watched a few times - at least the first season - and enjoyed. Saw several of the actors on a TV talk show recently (Anderson Cooper I think) and the women in the audience were holding up "Free Bates" signs and wearing "Free Bates" tee-shirts :-)! And yes, Mary and whats-his-face (Matthew?) have elapsed into boredom. I more liked it when she was a "bad-girl". Lady Mary, in the bedroom, with the Indian Ambassador - just like the Clue game except she kills by sex instead of a wrench :-)!

KayLR
1-16-13, 4:23pm
bUU...I just read my first spoiler and YES, I was quite disappointed and irked to the maximum. But what can ya do except try and avoid all which looks like it has potential to spoil things? In my case, it looked like an innocent fan posting, but then there was some troll who came on and spoiled it all. And he was from the UK. Lesson learned.

BarbieGirl
1-16-13, 7:00pm
Lol....love the soapiness. Love the clothes, time period and especially The Dowager Countess!

I even have a soft spot for Thomas and that horrible lady's maid!:laff:

I can understand those that don't want spoilers. I, on the other hand seek them out vigorously!
:doh:

Lainey
1-16-13, 9:29pm
What did everyone think of Shirley Maclaine? I liked some of her scenes but for the most part there seemed to be something a little off. Maybe if I watch again in re-runs it will sit better with me.

Spartana
1-17-13, 2:25pm
What did everyone think of Shirley Maclaine? I liked some of her scenes but for the most part there seemed to be something a little off. Maybe if I watch again in re-runs it will sit better with me.I watched that last night and didn't really like Shirley in it too much. She seemed to be very unnatural and forced in her anti-anything British lines. However my favorite line was from Maggie Smith when she was asked how she felt about Shirleys upcoming visit. Maggie's character responded that (shirleys character) always made her so proud to be British. When someone responded that Shirley was an American not British, Maggie Smith said: "exactly!".

Florence
1-17-13, 5:16pm
I agree that Shirley McClain's part was just not well written. The part could have been so much better. And I very much resent the dinner scene where she is boorishly slurping her food in to portray Americans as having no table manners.

gail_d
1-17-13, 5:56pm
I'm glad Downton Abbey is back on Sunday nights. Mrs. Levinson's (Shirley Maclaine) references to being able to entertain the family in Newport, R.I., got me to researching Gilded Age mansions on this side of the pond. I'd like to see Biltmore Estate in North Carolina, for starters, and there are some museum/mansions in Newport that can be toured. Biltmore has an add-on butler's tour of the downstairs so I'd like that.

The Dean of my seminary has a niftly segment from Religion and Ethics weekly that addresses issues of faith in the world of Downton Abbey:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/episodes/religion-and-downton-abbey/14519/

I was a history major but never was interested in this particular period until Downton Abbey.

iris lily
1-17-13, 7:14pm
I agree that Shirley McClain's part was just not well written. The part could have been so much better. And I very much resent the dinner scene where she is boorishly slurping her food in to portray Americans as having no table manners.

Well, here's the thing: I don't think that Downtown Abbey has excellent writing. I think everything else about it is so fab (actors, visuals) that I tend to forget that the writing isn't first rate. But don't get me wrong, it's better than "ok."

Maggie Smith's part isn't well written but she does so much with it.

I will say that the latest plot device (erm, spoiler....about the money of the estate )is interesting. I think that I missed an episode so now don't knwo wheterh to watch as broadcast or just wait for the 3rd season dvd, out soon (but with long wiating lists at the Library or Netflix.)

AmeliaJane
1-17-13, 10:13pm
If you want to catch up, PBS is streaming the first two weeks online right now, if you can do that. You can also download from Amazon for $1.99 if you care for that option.

Apparently one of the American TV networks is planning a similar series set in Gilded Age New York (so around the time Cora the American Countess was a young girl). I have also heard that ITV is considering a "prequel" set at the time of the Earl and Countess's marriage. I would love to see that...although it would be difficult to find a younger actress who could play the Maggie Smith role. Still, I have always wondered what went on early in their marriage, since the Earl has mentioned he wasn't in love with Cora at the time they married. And can you imagine being a newlywed with the (current) Dowager Countess as a mother-in-law? Anyway, I hope both come true, I would happily watch them.

Tradd
1-17-13, 10:27pm
Amelia - the Crawleys really needed the $$$ to keep Downton going. If you've ever read (or seen on PBS) The Buccaneers (Edith Wharton?), it's exactly about that sort of situation. I recently read a wonderful book about the American heiresses going over to Britain to catch themselves a titled aristocrat for a husband. The titled aristocrats needed the American cash. The book explains a great deal. The book is To Marry an English Lord.

Probably the most well-known of these American heiresses was Consuelo Vanderbilt who married the Duke of Marlborough.

CathyA
1-25-13, 10:06am
I hadn't watched it until recently and got interested in it. I love watching the upstairs/downstairs stuff, the scenery, the relationships, the lifestyle, etc. But since its 3rd season just started, I had questions about what led up to it to this point. I was in Walmart yesterday (forgive me!) and saw seasons 1 and 2 for only $35 (is about $60 on Amazon), and I splurged and bought it. Its so much fun to watch. Today I watched some of the extras and they were really good too.
It will still take me awhile to figure everyone's relationships out. I wonder if the rules about heirs was really true back then. I can't believe some people had so much money and so many servants........and had nothing to do but whatever they wanted to do.

KayLR
1-25-13, 11:54am
Tradd, thanks for those recommendations....sound really interesting!

IshbelRobertson
1-25-13, 12:00pm
Julian Fellowes has filmed a factual programme about some grand English homes. The first programme was shown on ITV earlier this week. I found it interesting, even if JF can appear pompous at times.

Here's a review.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9819146/Great-Houses-with-Julian-Fellowes-ITV-review.html

Florence
1-28-13, 1:40pm
Spoiler Alert!

Weill, last night when Sybil died in childbirth just caught me totally by surprise.

nswef
1-28-13, 2:41pm
It certainly threw me, a bit of too much realism...

CathyA
1-28-13, 3:27pm
I can't read the above comments, 'cause I'm only in the middle of season two. haha I taped the season 3 show last night and can't watch it until I get through a few more episodes.
Maybe there will be an answer to this in the future......and don't tell me anything about what I say, but why the heck do they keep Thomas and Mrs. Obrien around when they are such troublemakers?
(I know, I know......they are the ones we love to hate) haha
I've been watching way too many past episodes in too short a time, but I want to get caught up. I'm only to the point where they are using Downton Abbey as a rehabilitation hospital for the wounded soldiers.
I told DH last night, when I watch this show, I end up feeling 3 things: I feel like eating, cleaning up the house, and ordering people around. :~)

Spartana
1-28-13, 6:33pm
Spoiler Alert!

Weill, last night when Sybil died in childbirth just caught me totally by surprise.Oh no! She was one of the characters I liked the most - the rebellious child who escewed the family lineage and trappings for a simple life with the commoner "help".

Simplemind
1-28-13, 6:43pm
Well I didn't see THAT coming. I thought it was very well done and the scene between mom and daughter brought tears to my eyes. The scene between sisters left me wanting to kick somebody.

pony mom
1-28-13, 9:12pm
I was shocked too. And kind of glad that it happened. Life wasn't perfect for anyone back then.

CathyA, you'll see a different side of Thomas and Miss O'Brien soon.

Lainey
1-29-13, 9:27pm
.. The scene between sisters left me wanting to kick somebody.

Yes, likewise! Edith to sister Mary, after their sister dies: "can we be friends now?" Mary: "I think not, but maybe we can be more like sisters." or words to that effect - geez, your sibling dies and you can't forget the past and reach out to your last remaining sibling??

CathyA
1-29-13, 10:28pm
Okay........I can read all these posts now, since I spent the entire day watching season 2 and the latest episode of season 2! good thing I didn't have to be productive today!

Even though the cook's assistant Daisy can drive me crazy, I really liked the progression of her dealing with her guilt of being dishonest about marrying William, and finally her realizing that it was a good thing. I loved how William's father wanted her for a daughter now. How sweet!

I have one question about something...........I thought it was very strange when Robert (the Earl) kissed that maid a few times. It just didn't make sense to me. He wasn't that kind of person, and hadn't she only been working there a very short time?

Oh....one more question..........Does anyone know how the Earl came to marry Cora, an American? Also, Patrick (who supposedly died on the Titanic, but really didn't...maybe) had an American accent. Why did he have an American accent, yet he was the next heir in line.

Tradd
1-29-13, 10:58pm
Oh....one more question..........Does anyone know how the Earl came to marry Cora, an American? Also, Patrick (who supposedly died on the Titanic, but really didn't...maybe) had an American accent. Why did he have an American accent, yet he was the next heir in line.

Can't answer the bit about Patrick's accent...

But as for Robert and Cora's marriage, I'll just repeat my post from earlier in the thread...

The Crawleys really needed the $$$ to keep Downton going. If you've ever read (or seen on PBS) The Buccaneers (Edith Wharton?), it's exactly about that sort of situation. I recently read a wonderful book about the American heiresses going over to Britain to catch themselves a titled aristocrat for a husband. The titled aristocrats needed the American cash. The book explains a great deal. The book is To Marry an English Lord.

There were a great many of these sorts of marriages.

Probably the most well-known of these American heiresses was Consuelo Vanderbilt who married the Duke of Marlborough.

bUU
1-30-13, 6:04am
Yes, likewise! Edith to sister Mary, after their sister dies: "can we be friends now?" Mary: "I think not, but maybe we can be more like sisters." or words to that effect - geez, your sibling dies and you can't forget the past and reach out to your last remaining sibling??
Mary is always practical. That's what makes her Mary, in the same way being scheming makes Edith Edith, and being sweet made Sybil Sybil.

The line was more along the lines of, "... let's be sisters for each other now ..." - i.e., in their time of mourning, at least as I took it to mean.

bUU
1-30-13, 6:07am
Even though the cook's assistant Daisy can drive me crazy, I really liked the progression of her dealing with her guilt of being dishonest about marrying William, and finally her realizing that it was a good thing. I loved how William's father wanted her for a daughter now. How sweet!
The progression I found most remarkable is how she changed from this meek, put-upon, bumbling scullery maid, repeatedly brow-beaten by Mrs. Padmore, into this bossy, assistant cook brow-beating the (new) scullery maid. :laff:

Lainey
1-30-13, 9:19pm
I just want to get one of the "Free Bates" t-shirts!

Spartana
1-30-13, 11:09pm
I just want to get one of the "Free Bates" t-shirts!www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=17355766

CathyA
1-31-13, 6:31am
How can the 3rd season DVD be out already?
Those shirts are funny!

bUU
1-31-13, 6:35am
The UK broadcast the third season this past Fall.

Lainey
1-31-13, 7:38pm
www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=17355766

ha ha! They're pretty popular - all on backorder.

iris lily
1-31-13, 7:49pm
oh you guys! I had a serious crush on Brendon Coyle when he was in Lark Rise. I may have to get that shirt.

Florence
1-31-13, 9:16pm
LOL!! I know that I won't buy the tee shirt but it really tickles me! The question of the day is Will Anna and Bates ever find happiness??

CathyA
2-1-13, 6:22am
If its like any other soap opera, they'll finally be together, and start arguing. :~)

I think Anna is one of my favorite characters on there........among many others!

bUU
2-1-13, 8:09am
I'm finding the Bates-in-prison story line to be dull at this point - I just want it to be over.

Florence
2-1-13, 4:13pm
I'm finding the Bates-in-prison story line to be dull at this point - I just want it to be over.

+1

CathyA
2-23-13, 1:27pm
LOL........I was just watching on TV "Back to the Secret Garden", when I suddenly realized that the castle looked really familiar. Its the Downton Abbey (Highclere) castle! I got confused for a minute, not knowing which show I was watching. "Back to the Secret Garden" was done in 2001. It must be a popular place for films.

iris lily
2-23-13, 4:42pm
+1

Well, they will have to figure out some other way to torture him because that's the role he plays best: tortured soul.

Lainey
1-13-14, 8:08pm
Bumping this thread for the new season. Spoiler alert, so stop reading if you didn't see the latest episode.

So, what the ? Is this violence added because they've run out of story ideas? I'm not liking this dark turn.

ApatheticNoMore
1-13-14, 8:23pm
I'm also p*ssed off she's starting to move on with her life wtih romance and business and not with taking care of her kid. Yea romance is really more of a priority in life that taking care of kids you brought into the @#$@ing world. Yea, yea, it's only a t.v. show .....

CeciliaW
1-13-14, 8:34pm
That scene shocked me and I don't know why. I'm sure it was as common then as it is now. What pissed me off was the way she needed to handle it. I'm really hoping Bates' character is smart enough figure this out, and I'm really hoping that Anna gets revenge somehow. Maybe that was the point, a shock out of left field. The author seems to enjoy those.

iris lilies
1-13-14, 8:36pm
Bumping this thread for the new season. Spoiler alert, so stop reading if you didn't see the latest episode.

So, what the ? Is this violence added because they've run out of story ideas? I'm not liking this dark turn.

I haven't been watching this season, but honestly, I have to say that this show is over-rated. I've seen so many costume dramas over the past 30 years out of the UK that are so much better.
This one happens to have an original screenplay and while that is lovely, it's just not up to par with classic costume dramas based on literature.

That said, of course I will, at some point, devour all of it. I've seen season 1-3 and will watch 4 when it comes out on DVD.

CathyA
1-13-14, 9:18pm
More spoiler alert............

You know she'll get pregnant and will take forever to tell Bates what happened. I was a bit disappointed that it might be turning too much into the likes of U.S. daytime soaps. I hope I'm wrong.
I do think they were smart to advance 6 months after Mathew's death. I love the character that plays his mother.

Tiam
1-13-14, 10:57pm
More spoiler alert............

You know she'll get pregnant and will take forever to tell Bates what happened. I was a bit disappointed that it might be turning too much into the likes of U.S. daytime soaps. I hope I'm wrong.
I do think they were smart to advance 6 months after Mathew's death. I love the character that plays his mother.

I had similar thoughts.

bUU
1-14-14, 5:08am
I find it strange all the dissatisfaction cased in the context of it "turning into" an American-like soap opera. Julian Fellows has consistently said, since the start, that that was precisely what he was interested in bringing (to British television). I don't see such melodrama any differently than the machinations of O'Brien and Barrow early on - perhaps I view those even worse because they were so petty and trivial by comparison.

KayLR
1-14-14, 1:37pm
+1 with bUU...even if it is melodramatic, it sure is better than most anything else on the tube these days. Just how much Law & Order/CSI-type shows do we really need?

And as for the violence of this episode, there was no gratuitous, graphic depiction (as seen every single night on network crime dramas). I thought the co-incidence of the assault at the very same time as the singing performance made it all the more riveting.

This type of thing purportedly DID actually happen to women in service, so why shouldn't it be depicted? Everyone loves Anna, so we hate to see it happen to her, but, I guess sh#t happened in those days, too.

CathyA
1-14-14, 4:30pm
Spoiler........................

The thing I'll be upset about is if Anna keeps it from Bates for months (after she's probably pregnant from the other guy), and their relationship will no longer be a happy one. I really liked their relationship. If it happens....its the same thing that happens in U.S. soaps....and that's no one can be happy for more than a short time. We'll see.

CeciliaW
1-14-14, 4:42pm
Someone mentioned up thread that part about Mary ignoring her child. I realized that I thought that was normal for any woman with money who could afford to hire a nanny. Maybe I've watched too many stories about Royalty or what not. Do you remember when they made such a Fuss over Diana actually playing with and holding her own children? Likely just another odd stereotype.

Gingerella72
1-23-14, 11:59am
I don't remember which episode it was in in season 3, but the Lady Dowager (Maggie Smith) said something to the effect of only seeing her children for tea time everyday when they were growing up, the rest of the time was spent with nannies and tutors/governess (and she didn't think anything odd about it). I think that was the typical way the rich/nobility raised their kids in those days, so for Downton to depict Mary as hardly ever being seen with her child isn't far-fetched. Although with how rapidly the world and social mores around them was changing, I wouldn't be surprised if in later episodes we begin to see Mary take a more hands-on role in raising her son. At least I hope so.

As for Anna......rape was probably far more common than history records and while it isn't much better for women now, it was practically a death sentence for a woman to report it then. Even if the man was caught, the woman would have lost her position with no reference, no matter how unfair it was.

As "authentic" as they try to be, it is a modern show set in a past era, and I think the storylines reflect that. Playing to modern audiences, I think they play pretty fast and loose with how tolerant the family and butler/housekeeper are of certain situations. In real life, there is no way that Thomas, a homosexual man, would have been allowed to keep his position after he was inadvertantly outed. I doubt that Bates, even after being exonerated, would have been allowed his old position back, because of the scandal and notoriety he would have brought upon the family. And I doubt even that Lady Sybil would have been forgiven for marrying a member of the servant staff as quickly and "painlessly" as she was in the show.

CathyA
1-23-14, 12:56pm
That's all probably true Gingerella. And I doubt the aristocrats would have ever had all that mingling with the "downstairs" help. In DA, they even all attended the same ball/party. I really doubt something like that ever would have happened.

IshbelRobertson
1-23-14, 2:11pm
The more elevated strata of the aristocracy often held Servants Balls. Indeed the Royals still hold such balls at Balmoral.

CathyA
1-23-14, 2:49pm
Hmmm.....I didn't know that. Maybe the richer they are, the less "threatened" they are to mix and mingle?

IshbelRobertson
1-23-14, 4:52pm
Oh, I think they expected the ghillies, beaters and household staff were expected to know their place.

Here's a more recent report
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/queen-elizabeth-II/10033883/Soldier-who-danced-with-Queen-at-Balmoral-meets-her-again-after-losing-legs-and-arm-to-Taliban-bomb.html

Tiam
1-24-14, 1:07am
That's all probably true Gingerella. And I doubt the aristocrats would have ever had all that mingling with the "downstairs" help. In DA, they even all attended the same ball/party. I really doubt something like that ever would have happened.

I notice that one of the things they focus on a lot in DA is how the social class is continuing to change after the war. All these bits that are including in the show are ways of showing the gradual change to society and social classes. Historically it's accurate. Prewar, it probably wouldn't have happened, but post war, bit by bit, things started to change.

Lainey
1-27-14, 8:23pm
okay, discussing this week's show, so please don't read if you haven't seen it yet:

well, looks like our Mr. Bates did the right thing by Anna, as we thought he would. Although he says "it's not over" so we know some sort of revenge is in the works.
And suitor No. 2 has shown up for Mary. But her sister visiting the doctor's office? a mystery there.

iris lilies
1-27-14, 10:07pm
off topic, but--did anyone watch Mr. Selfridge? Being hungry for British costume dramas, I tried it. Too bad it is second rate, but I will still probably finish the season anyway. Jeremy
Piven was a lot of fun on Entourage (I watched the first 2 seasons) but he's not nuanced in this production, he's too manic. But nice sets and costumes and pretty actresses make this somewhat watchable.

CathyA
1-28-14, 7:09am
Oh Mr. Bates...........please don't end up in prison again. haha

I'm glad Mr. Mosely didn't get the job. He's such a nerd. But I'm sure he's going to still be around alot.

I wonder if they're going to renig (renege) on letting the son of the man who passed away, farm their land?

I really don't want it to get too modern. It's like The Waltons..........as soon as it moved into a more modern era, it lost its charm.

Lainey
2-11-14, 8:10pm
So, this week:
- am loving the period clothes
- what's going to help save that huge estate is ... pigs?
- another baby on the way?
- in the final scene, that look on Bates' face said He Knows

onlinemoniker
2-11-14, 8:45pm
My prediction: Bates knows and he's going to murder Mr. Gillingham and get away with it.

Does Lady Mary own any piece of clothing that isn't purple? Seriously, I know she's in mourning and all but what about rose, mauve or gray?

Tiam
2-19-14, 1:45am
Oh Mr. Bates...........please don't end up in prison again. haha

I'm glad Mr. Mosely didn't get the job. He's such a nerd. But I'm sure he's going to still be around alot.

I wonder if they're going to renig (renege) on letting the son of the man who passed away, farm their land?

I really don't want it to get too modern. It's like The Waltons..........as soon as it moved into a more modern era, it lost its charm.

I felt that way too about the Waltons. What are you going to do? Though it feels like Downton Abbey moved FAST through the years. Also feel that way about Call the Midwife, which now is moving into the 60's

Tiam
2-19-14, 1:47am
off topic, but--did anyone watch Mr. Selfridge? Being hungry for British costume dramas, I tried it. Too bad it is second rate, but I will still probably finish the season anyway. Jeremy
Piven was a lot of fun on Entourage (I watched the first 2 seasons) but he's not nuanced in this production, he's too manic. But nice sets and costumes and pretty actresses make this somewhat watchable.

Watched "murder on the homefront". It definitiely is capturing a feeling of the era. Not sure what I think yet. I loved Foyle's war.

mtnlaurel
2-19-14, 8:14am
Somewhere along the way I got really put out with the series. I kept watching, but with skepticism and a smirk. Like when they brought back the maid that was trying to entrap Tom (I was like why?)
But this past show just reeled me right back in....

Maggie Smith in her feverish delirium, "Someone please dismiss this nurse [Mrs. Crowley], she talks too much, she's worse than a drunken vicar" That's classic!

Here is my question though.......
What is the connection between Ms. Baxter (with the sewing machine) and Thomas? How did they know each other before Downton & why is she indebted to him to give him the scoop?

mtnlaurel
2-19-14, 8:23am
Here is my question though.......
What is the connection between Ms. Baxter (with the sewing machine) and Thomas? How did they know each other before Downton & why is she indebted to him to give him the scoop?

So I just may have found answer to my own question above on Downton Abbey Wikia (is the Internet amazing or what?)...
Looks like we don't know what the connection is yet, or the secret
http://downtonabbey.wikia.com/wiki/Phyllis_Baxter

CathyA
2-19-14, 9:59am
Maggie Smith is great! She keeps me giggling. She seems to have softened up quite a bit since the first episodes in the series.
I loved that look that Bates gave at the end of one of the shows. You just knew what it meant. I love his character.
At the end of the last episode, it looks like Ms. Baxter might be moving away from Thomas?
I just wish they wouldn't move through time so fast.
I like Edith.
Actually..........I like Mrs. Crowley too. She's a huge bleeding heart liberal........but I think she's sincere. It was so funny watching Maggie Smith's reaction to her when she was sick.
I'm glad Maggie Smith is in this role. She's great.

CathyA
2-24-14, 7:50am
Spoiler Alert...................

Maybe its just my poor aging mind, but I really had trouble following the 2 hour season finale last night. First of all........they jumped ahead about 6-7 months since last week's episode, right? I thought maybe I had missed an episode. I don't believe they even let us know that. They start out after the Edith/baby thing/trip to France had already finished. I found alot of the conversations were hard to understand, because of the thick English accents. I also got confused with the time-line and who was where. I enjoyed the 2 hours though. I almost missed the second hour, not knowing it was going to be 2 hours long. Did anyone else have this problem of being a little confused? (Please say yes, even if its not true. I'm feeling VERY confused alot these days). hahaha
I still love all of Maggie Smith's character's mumblings.

goldensmom
2-24-14, 9:38am
Maybe its just my poor aging mind, but I really had trouble following the 2 hour season finale last night.
I don't watch Downton Abby regularly so I often have trouble piecing everything together. During the season finale, I had to let the dogs out and when I came back it was confusing because of what I finally figured out was a time warp. The relationship between Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton makes any confusion worth viewing.

CathyA
2-24-14, 10:41am
I don't watch Downton Abby regularly so I often have trouble piecing everything together. During the season finale, I had to let the dogs out and when I came back it was confusing because of what I finally figured out was a time warp. The relationship between Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton makes any confusion worth viewing.

LOL.......how true!

ApatheticNoMore
2-24-14, 12:36pm
I was a little confused but I started late (because mom was making dinner and I was doing a massive lemon squeezing project to freeze some lemon juice) and I jumped in and out a little - so it's probably my own fault. Maybe if they rerun it so I an actually see the whole thing ...

Tradd
2-25-14, 12:03am
CathyA, I just watched last night's episode via the PBS website.

They jumped ahead 8 months. That time frame is given in Edith's conversation with Violet that opens the episode.

The season finale is always two hours the last couple of season because that's the UK Christmas special.

I wasn't confused at all. I confess to watching it at my laptop while I'm eating dinner - I'm just glued to my computer.

CathyA
2-25-14, 5:52am
I must have missed that 8 month thing at the beginning. It must be a style of Fellowes.....since he did it with last season too (after Matthew's death).

bUU
2-25-14, 6:17am
Maybe its just my poor aging mind, but I really had trouble following the 2 hour season finale last night. First of all........they jumped ahead about 6-7 months since last week's episode, right? I thought maybe I had missed an episode. I don't believe they even let us know that.They did so in two, somewhat subtle ways: First, Rose mentioned that Edith had been gone for eight months. Second, the year was 1923, instead of 1922.

mtnlaurel
2-25-14, 7:34am
So guess who's coming in a close second for me (behind Maggie Smith)? Daisy! She is a quick witted little gal for sure.

One of my favorite little quips from last night:
Valet from America : something to the effect of "Aren't you excited?"
Daisy: something to the effect of "I'm never excited."

I loved the whole American national personality vs. English national personality thread throughout

Downton definitely reeled me back in the second half of this past season.

CathyA
2-25-14, 10:01am
I taped the show and watched the beginning again and finally heard the 8 month thing. Daisy was talking to Mrs. Patmore and asked why Edith was looking so poorly and said (I think)....."She went to Geneva for 8 months and looks even more tired." She said it quickly and somewhat slurred, so that's why I missed it.

Rogar
2-25-14, 10:06am
Maybe its just my poor aging mind, but I really had trouble following the 2 hour season finale last night. First of all........they jumped ahead about 6-7 months since last week's episode, right? I thought maybe I had missed an episode.

I never thought I would say this, but I wish they would throw in some commercials or at least a few breaks. I had the need for bathroom or refrigerator runs but just couldn't tear myself way. I probably still missed little bits of information that would connect things.

My favorite characters have morphed through the seasons and episodes. I have always liked Daisy as a young, simple, and innocent example of a good human. In the later episodes I've actually grown to like Carson as possibly having a huge heart that is well concealed. It seems like the depth of his character has grown over the seasons. And of course Violet who had me almost rolling on the floor in laughter with her quips that border on genius insight and smug aristocracy. In earlier seasons I had started thinking of her more as just a crusty old biddy.

I predict that Alfred will see the error of his ways and eventually propose to Daisy in season 5.

CathyA
2-25-14, 1:12pm
I'm starting to feel a little better about the nerd, Mr. Moseley, since he's being so nice to the new lady (who has so many secrets).
I really like Mrs. Hughes. Them wading into the ocean together was sweet.
So is the guy who raped Anna and was murdered......was that also 8 months ago and will be dropped? I'm having trouble with these time warps.

KayLR
2-25-14, 2:11pm
I agree with all the above and add to the list I'm intrigued by how dark Lady Mary is becoming. I was delighted, when they were plotting to retrieve that letter from what's-his-name's apartment, she said, "I'll do it. I don't mind lying." And her decision to burn the ticket to York...

Love the repartee between Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton as well. Not so much the pissiness between Violet and Cora's mother (Shirley Maclaine).

I also love the relationship Daisy has with her father-in-law. It's really sweet. I'm glad she has him to turn to.

CathyA
2-25-14, 2:52pm
About the Americans...........they sure embarrass me with their behavior/crassness!

Rogar
2-25-14, 2:59pm
I agree with all the above and add to the list I'm intrigued by how dark Lady Mary is becoming. I was delighted, when they were plotting to retrieve that letter from what's-his-name's apartment, she said, "I'll do it. I don't mind lying." And her decision to burn the ticket to York...

And on top of that, I can't believe the poor guys who are falling head over heels for her. She sure gives them the royal run around, so to speak.

CathyA
2-26-14, 8:19am
I know Ms. O'brien and Matthew left of their own free will (supposedly).......but they sure left a great show. I wonder what the real reason was?

Tiam
2-26-14, 11:25am
About the Americans...........they sure embarrass me with their behavior/crassness!

Well, don't you think they were purposely written that way? I felt that way about them too, but then realized that perhaps they might not have been SO crass, but were written that way to make a point.

CathyA
2-26-14, 12:49pm
Yeah, I'm sure they represent perhaps the way Fellowes views American? Or maybe the show wouldn't have been nearly as interesting if they'd been really nice/humble people.

onlinemoniker
2-26-14, 4:01pm
I'm not a junkie but I have watched the series. (I stream it the next day.)

I don't like that every issue is resolved in 5 minutes. The pregnancy, the train ticket burned, Daisy letting Alfred go in 5 minutes, the first Mary romance of this season, the Rose engagement called off just bc Mary went to see the guy, the humiliating letter. The lady's maid who slept w/ Branson and then disappeared in 5 minutes. The other maid of Cora's who was so intimidated and hen-pecked by the corrupt butler who just got a 3 sentence pep talk from Mr. Moseley and instantly she's no longer afraid. Now apparently the rape issue is completely resolved as well. Many of these story lines could really be developed and be interesting but they're introduced, climaxed and resolved in no time so there's no way for this member of the audience to feel much stress about it or interested in it. But the settings and costumes and lushness are very delicious to look at.

Also, I don't think the American's are crass or embarrassing. I think the Levinson guy is just cynical because he's been so aggressively pursued for his $ for so long and I was very surprised the Shirley McLaine character was so mild-mannered this time around. Last time she was a lot more raucous and vibrant. I think they act appropriately for what they are, nouveau riche 19th c. industrialists. They're rich because they were in business. Those people aren't known for being epicureans.

CathyA
2-26-14, 4:42pm
onlinemoniker.........now that you mention it, they DO go through things quickly. Since its 8 months later, I was wondering whatever happened to the guy that was killed, and we were supposed to think it was Bates. Hmmm.
Now I hate this show. :laff:
Just kidding..........

onlinemoniker
2-26-14, 6:51pm
Cathy--I hope I didn't kill your buzz. I actually really like the show. I just think they' really rushing through the plot lines.

CathyA
2-26-14, 7:47pm
LOL onlinemoniker.........you didn't ruin it for me. I just had never really put in to words some of the things about the show that bothered me, and you verbalized it for me. You're right.......if they went into more depth about certain issues, it could be more interesting.........and they could slow the timeline down a bit......which would make me happy.

bUU
2-27-14, 5:29am
Has anyone ever watched a Big Brother feed, 24/7, for weeks on end? Neither have I, but I bet it is BORING! The purpose of entertainment is to entertain. Season 4 took place over more than a year and a half, so what seems like it took no time to resolve actually took what some would consider a long time to resolve. My spouse and I actually discussed how long it was taking to resolve some of the plot points (specifically the train ticket), feeling that they were excessively "milking" the suspense.