PDA

View Full Version : If You Couldn't Die Today THEN There Is Something Wrong.

heydude
2-2-11, 11:19pm
If someone told you that today was the day you died, would you be able to say you were happy, you were able to do the things you wanted to do, and you were content, and could honestly say your life was a good one and was complete. Complete enough that you could be okay if it was in fact completed as of today.

IF YOU CAN"T SAY THIS, WHY NOT?

What are you thinking you will do "some day?"

Are you saving up for retirment so that you will finally be able to do what you want? What if you don't make it that far? Can you start doing what you want NOW instead of saying "some day."

Even if it is little things (and with simple living, it usually is the little things!).

Hattie
2-3-11, 12:38am
Yup...If I died today my family could rest assured I did everything I wanted to do. *S* No regrets. Everything that happens from now to the end is just extra icing on the cake. :cool:

Bootsie
2-3-11, 12:46am
That's the lesson that hit me hardest after 9/11. I was pregnant at the time and had a young child, and when grasping at how I was supposed to see my city (I live in NYC) and world after 9/11, it hit me that I needed to be okay with dying at any moment. And....in a way, I felt freedom in that idea.

frugal-one
2-3-11, 3:12am
I recently was ill and realized that I haven't had the opportunity to do all the things I yet need to do. I have done many things such as travel the world but my day to day world is not my own. So.... I have 21 more days to work... and then I will be retired. I have many plans and look forward to my new "adventure". I never want to say "I wish I would have!"

Wildflower
2-3-11, 3:36am
I'm happy with my life, relationships with those I love, and what I have accomplished, but I wish I would have been able to travel more - that would be my only regret....

catherine
2-3-11, 8:43am
I have a bit of an issue with the "bucket list" mentality because it's based on a premise that you have to "do" things before you die, rather than just "be" here now.

Some of you (probably Stella for one!) might know the story of when one of the brothers found St. Francis out hoeing the garden. He asked him, "St. Francis, what would you do if you knew you were going to die tomorrow?" And he responded, "I'd finish hoeing the garden."

I think we can gain redemption from any of our sometimes misguided quests in our lives by stopping right here, right now, and making the choice to be present in the moment. I think this is what the OP is saying, really.

razz
2-3-11, 8:55am
I agree with Catherine's views and have been content for some time for that reason. I also take exception or rather disagree about death being the end as opposed to simply one phase of life (think fourth dimension) so that may impact the reasons for my peace of mind.

Do I wish I had not done some things? Yes but I have forgiven myself for them and compensated in my own way. Life has been a challenging adventurous journey with hills and valleys but I have so much to learn as yet!!!! I will go through the veil and continue learning. I hope that I am not detouring the thread as that is not my intent.

citrine
2-3-11, 10:00am
Yes, if I were to die today I would be content with my life, my relationships, and myself :)

Float On
2-3-11, 10:26am
This reminds me that I really need to write down a cheat sheet for my husband with all the instructions to our life. You know the serious things, like passwords and user names, bank account numbers, even where to find our safe deposit box and which bank (he's never visited it).

iris lily
2-3-11, 10:30am
I've been saying to freinds for some time now that I always hope that I go immediately, nothing long and drawn out, and if I died today they should consider me happy with my life.

Especdailly, now that I am finished with my family photo project there are no ongoing obligations that someone has to pick up. DH could handle it all.

goldensmom
2-3-11, 10:52am
If I died today I'd be fine with it. I don't want to die today but I believe Psalm 139:16 and that's good enough for me.

Heidi
2-3-11, 1:20pm
Good topic. Our will and financial situation are in order. I declutter regularly to save our children to have to deal with a lot of stuff after we are gone. I am grateful and feel blessed about my life. However, on a spiritual level I still have work to do. I set this year aside to make amends with people whom I offended or hurt over my lifetime. Once a week I send out a letter to one person on my long amending list. If the person already has passed on, I still write a letter with my regrets and apologies, but plan to burn it with the other "deceased letters" at the end of the year.

heydude
2-3-11, 1:40pm
I have a bit of an issue with the "bucket list" mentality because it's based on a premise that you have to "do" things before you die, rather than just "be" here now.

Some of you (probably Stella for one!) might know the story of when one of the brothers found St. Francis out hoeing the garden. He asked him, "St. Francis, what would you do if you knew you were going to die tomorrow?" And he responded, "I'd finish hoeing the garden."

I think we can gain redemption from any of our sometimes misguided quests in our lives by stopping right here, right now, and making the choice to be present in the moment. I think this is what the OP is saying, really.

SO TRUE. I hate that saying about "live like today is your last day." If I were going to do that, I'd go spend all of my money, hehe. AND, I'd probably be so overwhelemed with all the spending that I'd give myself a headache or get sick.

I like what you say. Yes, the whole point is live your life with purpose and intent and being true to yourself. The point is that you shouldn't need to change your last day because all your days will have been how you wish to live. That any one of your days could be picked as your last and it wouldn't affect you.

bae
2-3-11, 1:42pm
I'd sort of like to see my grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

LDAHL
2-4-11, 2:48pm
I'd like to see the Chicago Cubs win the World Series before I die. Grant me that, and it will be 50/50 odds of dying happy or immortality.

happystuff
2-5-11, 6:48pm
I'd be fine with it.

Zigzagman
2-5-11, 8:13pm
I've had a dream life. I survived the Vietnam War. I went to college on the GI Bill. I married the sexiest hippie chick on the planet. I've had the kind of friends that I could always count on - even if it was just hanging out. I ate peyote as a 20 something. I worked at a good company that had good benefits. I bought a place in the country in my 30's and have been able to prepare my place for retirement. (it takes time - be forewarned) I have always been comfortable in my own skin. I have the very best wife on the planet. I retired at 52 and am so thankful that I did (it did take me a few years to get over the loss of a paycheck - but I have enough). My wife likes to cook. I like to eat. We have a good sex life. I tell her I love her every day and I mean it.

Peace

iris lily
2-5-11, 10:09pm
zigggie, I remember seeing a photo of your wife and that woman is GORGEOUS!!!! That she puts up with you is an extra miracle!;)

Zigzagman
2-6-11, 1:44am
zigggie, I remember seeing a photo of your wife and that woman is GORGEOUS!!!! That she puts up with you is an extra miracle!;)
A miracle indeed, and for 34 years!! It takes a Good Woman to RECOGNIZE a Good Man. She is a non-drinker/smoker and has always been on a "natural" high.

Peace

Gina
2-6-11, 2:19am
"If You Couldn't Die Today THEN There Is Something Wrong."

No offense, but I think that's a down-right silly, passive concept.

And, no, I wouldn't be fine with it at all - and it's not because I'm unhappy with what I have or haven't done. I just find life exciting and, well, fun. For it to end would be a real shame in my opinion. In fact it would p*ss me off big time.

There have been bad patches, but for the most part I too have lived a lucky, charmed life - and know it. I've already done a lot and am satisfied with how I've spent most of my time, but there are still way too many interesting things I want to do. No life is ever long enough to accomplish all the wonderful possibilities that are out there for us humans to attempt. In fact, almost everyday something new comes to mind that might be nice to learn or do or just joyful ways to 'be'.

I don't plan to ever be finished adding new people or skills or knowledge, or further appreciation for what and whom I already have in my life. :)