PDA

View Full Version : Blackadder

puglogic
8-30-12, 11:59pm
After seeing Rowan Atkinson in the opening ceremonies of the Olympics, I requested the entire Blackadder series from the library to watch it all again. Some of the humor falls flat, but much of it is so bawdy and sharp that I laughed myself silly. Hilarious to see Hugh Laurie (House) doing comedy in his native accent, too. Given the choice between watching a political convention or Blackadder, there was no contest. Fun. Iris Lily, I couldn't find any good English novels, so this had to do instead ;)

iris lily
8-31-12, 12:15am
After seeing Rowan Atkinson in the opening ceremonies of the Olympics, I requested the entire Blackadder series from the library to watch it all again. Some of the humor falls flat, but much of it is so bawdy and sharp that I laughed myself silly. Hilarious to see Hugh Laurie (House) doing comedy in his native accent, too. Given the choice between watching a political convention or Blackadder, there was no contest. Fun. Iris Lily, I couldn't find any good English novels, so this had to do instead ;)

Yes that's right, silly British comedies are excellent for media fasts. My favorite is Absolutely Fabulous, so stupid, so funny.

MaryHu
9-1-12, 9:32am
Be sure to check out "Jeeves and Wooster" if you love Hugh Laurie. I think Hugh Laurie is wasted in 'House". Also see if you can find "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" the series he did with Stephen Fry before they did "Jeeves and Wooster" together. Hilarious, real "Monty Python" type stuff.

iforonwy
9-1-12, 12:15pm
Blackadder, Blackadder - now I've got the tune buzzing in my brain!
I once went to an awards ceremony - one of those lets-all-pat-ourselves-on-our-corrporate-back dos and the awards were to have been given out by Tony Robinson. Well yes they were but he did the entire evening dressed as and in the guise of Baldrick. It sure knocked a few folk down a peg or two!

Simplemind
9-1-12, 9:08pm
I adored Blackadder.

puglogic
9-2-12, 7:52pm
Yes that's right, silly British comedies are excellent for media fasts. My favorite is Absolutely Fabulous, so stupid, so funny.

Every time I watch Ab Fab, I end up calling everyone "Dahling" for at least a week. Funny stuff.

puglogic
9-20-12, 12:12pm
Be sure to check out "Jeeves and Wooster" if you love Hugh Laurie. I think Hugh Laurie is wasted in 'House". Also see if you can find "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" the series he did with Stephen Fry before they did "Jeeves and Wooster" together. Hilarious, real "Monty Python" type stuff.

MaryHu, I wanted to thank you for this recommendation. We're working through A Bit of Fry and Laurie (from the library) right now and it's really, really funny. Getting my laugh quota in every day now!

Is Jeeves and Wooster funny too? I've never seen even a single one, but heard about it a lot.

flowerseverywhere
9-20-12, 4:24pm
there are several really good series, we get them occasionally from the library in the winter.

Fawlty Towers with John Cleese
Keeping up appearances, I just love Hyacinth
The Vicar of Dibley.

I'll have to get blackadder now, sounds great