PDA

View Full Version : I feel stuck

Minz
9-2-12, 7:13pm
I feel stuck! I've done some decluttering over the last year or so and probably have donated/sold/recycled 30% of my stuff. I want to enter the final stage and just be done once and for all!! My problem is that I keep trying to decide if I should sell or donate things. I used to have this rule if I could get around $15 or more that I would sell it. But now I'm at the point where I think that takes a lot of time and energy to sell things and I just want to be done once and for all! I could use the money, but then again it wouldn't make or break me to have that money. A big part of me just wants to haul it all away now!

Has anyone encountered this? Any feedback? Sigh!!

Tradd
9-2-12, 7:48pm
Just haul it away! Once it's done, you will feel much lighter and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. :) Trust me!

Minz
9-2-12, 7:55pm
Thanks Tradd. That is what I wanted someone to say!! I need to just do it and be done with the guilt and enjoy the feelings are being lighter!!

Tradd
9-2-12, 8:09pm
:)

Fawn
9-2-12, 8:17pm
Counterpoint:

You could sell it but give the profits to someone else important to you.
I recently offered to help DS#3 sell the toys he no longer wanted so he could fund a PA system for his band. And of course, take a 10% cut for my efforts.
Just this week, sold 3,000+ assorted, washed Lego pieces for $180, free shipping. Even with my cut, he was able to buy the PA system.

Now to sell the blocks and Pokemon crap......

Minz
9-2-12, 8:25pm
Thanks Fawn. I have sold a decent amount of things over the last year but I think I'm to the point now where it's time for me to let it go and be done with it. Things will get donated so it's all going to a good cause. :) I think I also don't really enjoy the process of selling stuff. I'm going to post a picture tomorrow of the pile of stuff I'm getting rid of....thanks for your input!

try2bfrugal
9-2-12, 11:02pm
I usually just give things away to charity in lieu of some of the cash we would otherwise give. It saves time. I have been taking stuff to the thrift shop run by the shelter were we got our rescue dog. I do sell books at the half price book store since that doesn't take much effort. I can go and trade in my old books for something new to me without spending any money.

fidgiegirl
9-2-12, 11:22pm
I am with the others, Minz. Release! Be free, old stuff!

try2bfrugal
9-2-12, 11:48pm
You have to figure in the opportunity cost of your time to sell stuff. Sometimes it is easier to see the actual cash from selling stuff but you might make/save more per hour in the long run by tackling more subtle projects like installing low flow shower heads, insulating your house better, trying to lower your insurance rates, or making a blog with evergreen content that might make advertising money for the next 10 years.

Minz
9-3-12, 12:48am
I've decided I am just going to donate. I feel like a weight lifted off my shoulders having made that decision. After I saw that try2bfrugal donates to a thift store that benefits rescue animals, I googled to see if there was one in my town and there is!! I had no idea - thanks for mentioning that - animal welfare is a charity close to my heart. I've spent the last couple hours going through stuff and have a nice pile ready to go.

happystuff
9-3-12, 7:12am
Make a list of the items you are donating, get a receipt and then write the items off on your taxes! The government pays me way more to donate my used clothing, for example, than I have ever been able to get yard-saling them!

Good luck!

artist
9-3-12, 9:45am
My rule is $50 or more. If I can't make that much off of an item, I just donate it.

stacy

fidgiegirl
9-3-12, 10:38am
I agree with happystuff. We always write down what we donate and it adds up to quite a bit and we are able to deduct it on taxes. Google a worksheet for non-cash contributions - here's an Excel one (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CDsQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcpagresham.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F08%2FNon-cash-Charitible-Contribution-Worksheet.xls&ei=6r9EUKnUD-LRyAHE9YHwCQ&usg=AFQjCNGNSR0yfz1OW0XpF7ie-XupZYLGZA) that would get you started (it will download an Excel file). It's pretty amazing how much stuff can be written off and for how much.

Minz
9-3-12, 12:22pm
Fidgie..that's an excellent worksheet. Thanks so much for sharing. Thanks for everyone's input!! I'm so ready to release this stuff. Ahhhh.

Minz
9-3-12, 1:13pm
Here's my pile of stuff I collected since last night. It's good to see it all there, knowing it will be gone soon. I probably have another few bags of stuff and then most of my decluttering is done...for the moment anyways. It seems like it's always a work in progress but I think this is the bulk end of it. (i'm not sure if the picture is coming out super tiny)
Of course the white kitty in the picture is staying..she's a keeper.

Tradd
9-3-12, 1:46pm
Nice job! I assume the kitty is just checking to make sure any of her stuff isn't being donated?

Minz
9-3-12, 2:15pm
Nice job! I assume the kitty is just checking to make sure any of her stuff isn't being donated?

Hehehheee..I think she is. :)

iris lily
9-3-12, 4:26pm
oh white kitty is lovely!

This topic reminds me of the horrific Hoarders tv show I watched last night (WHY do I do this???!!!) where one of those hoarder couples found their dead cat behind the debris that the cleaning team moved out. The cat had been dead for 2 years.

Those hoarder shows are next going onto my Will Not Watch list along with Holocaust films.

ejchase
9-3-12, 4:37pm
Congratulations, Minz, on being so close to your goal! I agree with those who say don't worry about selling. Sometimes I think saving to sell is just another way I sabotage my own decluttering efforts.

Since I have serious clutter issues, actually imagining myself getting to a point where I consider myself completely decluttered is sort of impossible for me - like imagining traveling to Mars or something. At this point, all I can do is give myself small goals (doing 10 hours of decluttering over a month, giving away 365 things this year) but your progress is nevertheless inspiring.

Minz
9-3-12, 6:31pm
Congratulations, Minz, on being so close to your goal! I agree with those who say don't worry about selling. Sometimes I think saving to sell is just another way I sabotage my own decluttering efforts.

Since I have serious clutter issues, actually imagining myself getting to a point where I consider myself completely decluttered is sort of impossible for me - like imagining traveling to Mars or something. At this point, all I can do is give myself small goals (doing 10 hours of decluttering over a month, giving away 365 things this year) but your progress is nevertheless inspiring.

Wow ejchase...that's probably true when you say saving to sell is just another way we sabotage our decluttering efforts...I never thought of that but I think that is also true in my case!! I really think I had a final big breakthrough this weekend when I gave myself permission to just let it all go!! I'm probably at 90% of my current goal but I think getting through my mental breakthrough was the hardest part of this process. I will always be, in a way, going through this "minimalist" process, in other words it is a constant journey for me but one I am really loving!! I think one story in particular really helped me...it is on ''The Minimalists'' website where Joshua talks about having to get rid of his mom's stuff after she died...I love reading his stuff....he writes so eloquently. This site is one of my fave minimalist sites. http://www.theminimalists.com/sentimental/

Also I think small goals is good since it works for you and you are still making progress! It's a process. We can't go to sleep one night as a clutterbug and wake up the next morning as a minimalist. I think we really have to process things mentally and emotionally first.

Minz
9-3-12, 6:39pm
oh white kitty is lovely!

This topic reminds me of the horrific Hoarders tv show I watched last night (WHY do I do this???!!!) where one of those hoarder couples found their dead cat behind the debris that the cleaning team moved out. The cat had been dead for 2 years.

Those hoarder shows are next going onto my Will Not Watch list along with Holocaust films.

Oh lol....no more hoarders and holocaust films sounds like a good idea!

frugalone
9-25-12, 7:14pm
I can't stand having the stuff sit around while I try to sell it. I just sold some art magazines on Etsy.com and it took me the better part of a year to get rid of them. Magazines are easy to store, IMHO, but larger stuff...I'd rather just put it in the car and get it outta here!