PDA

View Full Version : September Gratitude

SiouzQ.
9-4-12, 10:50am
I'm grateful I somehow, despite my many flaws, have a sensible head upon my shoulders regarding money matters ~ for the first time in my life, from my punk rock days, through single parenthood and a series of low-end retail jobs, I have hit a net worth of $60,000! This is the total sum of my savings, checking, cash-on-hand, and IRA retirement account . This does not include any of my possessions, such as the car, my guitars and all other sundry furnishings.

I know it's not a lot of money in the scope of the big picture, but it feels like a lot to me! My living expenses continue to be quite low, as I have cheap rent and a paid-off car that I keep in good running condition. I don't need a work wardrobe, I don't need a smart-phone; the only thing I spend money on these days are rent, electric, DSL, food and a tank or so a month on gas to get around town. I have zero debt. All other spending is pretty minimal, though I have been splurging to get my hair dyed every six weeks at the beauty school downtown.

I LOVE seeing that balance grow because it represents choices way on down the line for me!

SteveinMN
9-4-12, 11:31am
Excellent, SQ! It sounds like things are settling down for you, in a good way.

I was going to post my gratitude for good new friends. This year, two close friends of mine -- people I've known for about 15 and 30 years, respectively -- passed away suddenly. I've moved around enough that I don't have many friends of that long standing. My wife has a cadre of people she knew and has grown up with since college, and these people have readily taken me in as their friend, as well. I just got back yesterday from a cabin weekend with "the guys" (my third) and am very thankful we are forming healthful supporting relationships -- and that my wife is healthy enough emotionally to be able to form such bonds. Many people can't.

JaneV2.0
9-4-12, 12:56pm
I'm grateful for the lovely summer we've had here in the PNW: daytime temperatures in the seventies, cool nights. It's been drier than usual the last few weeks, but we're still ahead of the curve rainfall-wise.

And kudos to my trick left knee for accomplishing its own miracle healing. Nothing like lurching around the house with a perma-bent leg.

domestic goddess
9-4-12, 1:54pm
I am grateful for the cooler weather we are having now. While it is still warm, the searing heat we had most of the summer seems to have taken a hike. Now, if I could just get rid of these seasonal allergies...

Azure
9-4-12, 4:30pm
I am grateful that both boys are off to school, studying what turns them on, making new friends and moving forward into the next phase of their lives. It's scary sometimes but such a joy to see who they are becoming.

fidgiegirl
9-10-12, 6:28pm
So glad I made the decision to switch positions a year ago. I am more balanced and enjoying my work every day.

Thankful for our beautiful home and to be in a financial position to be able to refi it - it's amazing how being in a good financial spot can get you to a better one (and the spiral can go the other way :( )

Feeling good that I can do physically all the things I'm interested in doing.

Loving life today!!