PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles cuts down 400 trees for spaceshuttle Challenger to go through the streets

CathyA
9-4-12, 8:09pm
This is crazy. Los Angeles is cutting down 400 trees so the spaceshuttle challenger can fit through the streets on its way to the space museum. I feel really bad for the people who live there and won't have those trees anymore. As one resident said "It really IS a concrete jungle now".

bunnys
9-4-12, 8:42pm
Did NOT need to read that.

Lainey
9-4-12, 9:15pm
ugh. Are they at least going to try replanting with young trees so at least they'll have shade sometime in the future?

CathyA
9-4-12, 9:24pm
Yes, they are going to replant.

ApatheticNoMore
9-4-12, 9:32pm
I can't even imagine where the money is coming from to cut down and replant trees. Los Angeles while not quite San Bernadino yet is heavily indebted.

peggy
9-4-12, 9:42pm
Well, I'm not going to assume that all these trees are ancient oaks, or really noteworthy trees. Some may be actually scrub type trees, or nuisance trees, and really 400 isn't that many trees. Trees are cut down every day and trees are planted every day. Not every tree is a precious resource to be never touched! I myself cut down trees every year and plant trees every year. I think this should be filed under ho hum...not something to get spun up about.

iris lily
9-4-12, 9:57pm
I bow to the infinite wisdom of LA city fathers. They have their priorities straight. This makes CA look a little better in my eyes than previously.

Trees are The Enemy.

CathyA
9-5-12, 7:45am
Iris lily...........you're insulting some of my relatives! (trees) :)
Supposedly, they gave shade, which was welcomed by the residents there.

Gregg
9-5-12, 10:24am
Put the museum in Bakersfield. They could use the jobs and there's no trees out there to get in the way.

freein05
9-5-12, 11:24am
Bakersfield - the arm pit of the central valley, is what we called it.

Mrs-M
9-5-12, 12:22pm
This thread IMO ties directly into the thread (What exactly does one owe their country?) that Rob (Gimmethesimplelife) started. Such a display of total disregard for nature and a greener environment, regardless of the status/significance of the trees involved.

I much prefer the practice of conservation, rather than the slaughtering and raping of the land, particularly when it's related to materialism.