sunnyjoe
2-3-11, 2:47pm
I love it!

winterberry
2-3-11, 6:23pm
No kitchen?

Float On
2-3-11, 6:42pm
winterberry, there are 6 photos to go thru, there is a kitchen, right next to the bathroom.

Bootsie
2-3-11, 7:12pm
I like everything except the mirror hung at an angle. And, I'd love to see her closet. I really like the three photos by the bed - that totally works.

sunnyjoe
2-3-11, 8:35pm
I thought the mirror at an angle was a bit odd too but the write-up talks about how it bounces light into the room. I like it for that reason.

bae
2-3-11, 8:40pm
$1750/month rent. Wow.

Tammy
2-3-11, 9:29pm
there is a small kitchen ... in picture #4 I believe.

winterberry
2-3-11, 9:46pm
OK, I see the kitchen. Thanks.

Float On
2-3-11, 10:14pm
$1750/month rent. Wow.

Wow - totally missed that! So I could fit that apartment in my house 7.5 times. I may even smile a little bit tomorrow when I pay my mortgage of $603.00

redfox
2-3-11, 11:52pm
Wow - totally missed that! So I could fit that apartment in my house 7.5 times. I may even smile a little bit tomorrow when I pay my mortgage of $603.00

Yup... NY city prices are wild. But... to live close to Manhattan for just a year... I would love it.

Bronxboy
2-4-11, 8:55am
The sensible parts are that it is bright and that she has tried not to stuff too many things into it. I'd still lose my mind in it.

iris lily
2-4-11, 10:10am
For that price I'd have to be living on Park Ave.

I am so over New York City, but it used to be the place I wanted to live. Only if I were uber rich would I consdier a place there, and then, it would be down the list after San Francisco. London, and someplace in England or Scotland.

kib
2-4-11, 10:39am
I always find these things so strange. It is pretty but it's such in-the-box thinking, to me. Who would want five chairs plus a bench seat plus a bed in a 200 sq foot space??? Is the supreme court stopping in for tea? Or a dining table And a desk, both far away from the food prep area which has no counter space. Or a sink in the bathroom and then a second sink four inches away from it in the kitchen. Someone who couldn't muster the creativity to envision something other than diningroom-livingroom-office as how we must live, IMHO.

catherine
2-4-11, 10:41am
That is a great example of form meeting function!! Love it!

Gee, when I saw $1750 rent, I thought "Wow, cheap!" That's a fantastic area of New York. Believe me, she's LUCKY to pay ONLY $1750.

Bootsie
2-4-11, 11:05am
I live in Manhattan, and I didn't think the rent was out of line. Studios go for that rent in my building - maybe even a bit more per month - but the studios in my building are a little bigger with a separate space for the bedroom, but the kitchen is part of the living room. And as for having that many chairs in a studio, yes, people do entertain in NYC even in our small spaces. I myself long for another chair and the space to put it.

sunnyjoe
2-4-11, 1:30pm
I like this one too and it's a bit more outside the box http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw/2012595209_pacificpnwl22.html

HappyHiker
2-4-11, 3:38pm
I like her space, it's clean, crisp and sunny. I think she was very clever in her design. Those iris photos are striking. Yowza, the rent is incredible from my POV, but I'm a small town dweller now and out of touch with city prices...once I stayed in NYC for a few days and my hotel room was so tiny that I suffered my first and only attack of claustrophobia...felt the walls squeezing in on me...

redfox
2-4-11, 5:21pm
The Book Tiny, Tiny Houses was one of my inspirational ones when I built a 512 SF 1.5 story cabin. It was sooo gorgeous!

redfox
2-4-11, 5:24pm
http://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Houses-How-Get-Away/dp/0879512717

Zzz
2-4-11, 8:01pm
I wouldn't like to live there. The angled mirror would drive me crazy. So would artwork above my bed. I shudder at those funky looking barstools as dinner chairs AND at the idea of sitting on a board across a "seldom used radiator." (That cannot be good for the radiator. They aren't made to be used as chairs.) I'd worry about getting all that white stuff dirty, too.

Zzz
2-4-11, 8:03pm
I always find these things so strange. It is pretty but it's such in-the-box thinking, to me. Who would want five chairs plus a bench seat plus a bed in a 200 sq foot space??? Is the supreme court stopping in for tea? Or a dining table And a desk, both far away from the food prep area which has no counter space. Or a sink in the bathroom and then a second sink four inches away from it in the kitchen. Someone who couldn't muster the creativity to envision something other than diningroom-livingroom-office as how we must live, IMHO.

The housing codes may require the second sink. They do where I live. The kitchen area and each bathroom are required to have a sink with working hot AND cold water. Each housing unit (except boarding houses with shared bathroom facilities) must also have a functioning bath or shower with both hot and cold water. It may be the case there, too.

Float On
2-5-11, 10:07am
So...saying you were limited to this size and shape of this room what changes would you make to it?
I need more kitchen space and I see a lot of wasted open space. I would buy or make a long thin table, bar height and place it parallel to the kitchen wall. That would define 'entry' and 'kitchen'. That way I'd have some 'workspace' and eating space. You could easily fit 4-6 comfortable bar height chairs. The bed I'd probably turn the other way, raise it up a bit for storage but build 3/4 height movable storage walls around it. That way I wouldn't be in the kitchen and looking at my bedroom all the time.
I think doing those 2 things would create more division of space, more usable space, more storage, and still leave room for a sitting area with a love-seat and comfy chair and ottoman.

iris lily
2-5-11, 10:17am
The housing codes may require the second sink. They do where I live. The kitchen area and each bathroom are required to have a sink with working hot AND cold water. Each housing unit (except boarding houses with shared bathroom facilities) must also have a functioning bath or shower with both hot and cold water. It may be the case there, too.

Well, she's just a decorator (I know they HATE that term!) but she can't change the fixtures in the place--all she can do is push around pieces of furniture. Big deal.
I don't think it's all that great. I don't understand what the space is at the head of the bed that juts out.

It just looked like a sophistcated dorm room to me.

Mrs-M
2-5-11, 11:58am
It's very cozy. A pleasant presentation of simple (by design) and uncluttered refinement.

Float On. One change I'd make would be to incorporate a long narrow eating counter along one wall and utilize bar styled stools for seating. The stools could be slid under the counter space when not in use freeing up valuable space.

jp1
2-10-11, 10:55pm
I've seen better/fancier uses of small spaces like that, but always in owned co-ops, not rentals. Personally if I were ever single again and living in NYC again (not that I'm expecting either to happen anytime soon) I'd lean towards doing something along these lines. I lived for 12 years in a studio west of times square and it always had the look of a lower end dorm room. And over time it went from being plenty big to being jam packed with stuff. I never lost sight of the "a place for every thing and every thing in its place" concept, but at the end when I moved to NJ to live with my SO there were enough "things" to fill a large van 3 times... Truthfully, though, I LOVED living there. I could spend 3 hours one night every two weeks doing laundry and cleaning and the rest of my life was spent doing things I actually wanted to do. That NJ apartment I moved to with SO had much more space, including 2 1/2 bathrooms. I never realized how much time it takes to clean a bathroom until I had 3 of them to clean.

kib
2-10-11, 11:42pm
So...saying you were limited to this size and shape of this room what changes would you make to it?
I need more kitchen space and I see a lot of wasted open space. I would buy or make a long thin table, bar height and place it parallel to the kitchen wall. That would define 'entry' and 'kitchen'. That way I'd have some 'workspace' and eating space. You could easily fit 4-6 comfortable bar height chairs. The bed I'd probably turn the other way, raise it up a bit for storage but build 3/4 height movable storage walls around it. That way I wouldn't be in the kitchen and looking at my bedroom all the time.
I think doing those 2 things would create more division of space, more usable space, more storage, and still leave room for a sitting area with a love-seat and comfy chair and ottoman.:D Favorite type question! The big question I have is, how big is that closet. Is more storage space necessary, or can I get away with airier furniture. Either it's a roomy closet, or this woman has absolutely no possessions, or this is purely for show and no one actually lives here.

1. There would be a plank on a pulley in that space between the bathroom and closet. Raised, from the underside it's a nice pot rack with some wine storage, lower it and it becomes a kitchen work surface and I can reach my pots.

2. There's just too much function-less tchotch here for me. So many big looming items with no purpose other than decoration, and everything that has a purpose is half sized. I'd flip that around.

3. I'd put my desk by the window, with one comfortable office chair. I often eat at my desk and like to look out the window when I do, that would work out fine.

4. There would be one really comfy loveseat where the two chairs are now. With an ottoman for storage and foot rest.

5. I'd go to town where the desk is now. a folded folding table with four chairs in center of the wall (one of those all in one units). A large flat monitor that my laptop could plug into above it for watching a movie. And then bookcases surrounding the entire thing, floor to ceiling.

I think I might try sort of a trundle bed - one of those deals where it's a twin bed and then the second mattress pulls out and it turns into 2 beds or a king, depending on how you want it. Would take up less space in the room and give me options for guests. Does look like the bed fits nicely in the allotted space, though.

As far as decoration I think I'd keep the tulips and can everything else. Let the useful possessions like cast iron pans and favorite books and my red enamel collander be enough.

Space at the head of the bed: most likely this was once one apartment and it's now six apartments. could be anything - pipes, the desk nook of the adjoining apartment, a 3*3 shower stall ...

kib
2-10-11, 11:56pm
I've seen better/fancier uses of small spaces like that, but always in owned co-ops, not rentals. Personally if I were ever single again and living in NYC again (not that I'm expecting either to happen anytime soon) I'd lean towards doing something along these lines. I lived for 12 years in a studio west of times square and it always had the look of a lower end dorm room. And over time it went from being plenty big to being jam packed with stuff. I never lost sight of the "a place for every thing and every thing in its place" concept, but at the end when I moved to NJ to live with my SO there were enough "things" to fill a large van 3 times... Truthfully, though, I LOVED living there. I could spend 3 hours one night every two weeks doing laundry and cleaning and the rest of my life was spent doing things I actually wanted to do. That NJ apartment I moved to with SO had much more space, including 2 1/2 bathrooms. I never realized how much time it takes to clean a bathroom until I had 3 of them to clean.Sigh. My 450 sq. studio was the best. Top floor. 11' ceiling. Strip of galley kitchen down one side, strip with bathroom and 3 big closets and space for 2 hutches and vanity on the other, a small wood floor entry where they met, space for a tiny washer dryer, and then a 15*18 main room where I built a 2-level bed and desk loft, a set of open cube bookcases that served as stairs / night table, and a T-shaped bar/table that ran the 8' length of a big window that looked out on a golfcourse. And one newly renovated, small, easy to clean bathroom. Sigh. Why didn't someone introduce me to YMOYL before I sold that one!

redfox
2-11-11, 8:02pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/10/garden/10cube.html?ref=garden

Another NYT small spaces article.