PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye truck with 320,000 miles

Float On
9-6-12, 12:15pm
Last night my 15 year old and I were in a car accident. He was driving with his permit. Total loss of the truck and I have a broken ankle. So glad it wasn't worse. Waiting for swelling to go down so we can find out if a cast will do or if I'll need surgery and screws put in the ankle.

The truck was just about to turn 320,000 miles and was doing great, just a simple '97 ford F150. My kayak was in the back and it's o.k. DH and 15 year old went to the tow truck place a bit ago to get the kayak and all the stuff that was in the truck. I won't be driving for probably 6 weeks I guess and now the search is on for a good used truck.

herbgeek
9-6-12, 12:35pm
Well that sucks. Glad it wasn't worse, but it's still going to be lousy for you for a while. Hope you heal quickly.

CathyA
9-6-12, 12:40pm
What a bummer Float On! I'm glad you and your son are (relatively) okay. I hope you don't need surgery.......but at least it wasn't a horrible injury. Sorry about your truck. Its always a drag when an old vehicle runs perfectly, but is essentially worthless, when it comes to insurance. I'm sure you'll find a good used one.
Keep us posted on how your ankle is doing.

Gregg
9-6-12, 12:46pm
So sorry to hear about both your ankle and the truck. Glad your DS was not injured, but I'm sure he was pretty shaken up. Crossing my fingers that a cast will do the trick and that you find a great deal on a truck that was only driven by a little old lady...to church on Sunday!

try2bfrugal
9-6-12, 1:01pm
So sorry to hear about the accident, your ankle and needing a new truck.

SteveinMN
9-6-12, 2:22pm
Ouch -- on several levels. I hope things work out as smoothly as possible.

Tussiemussies
9-6-12, 2:35pm
So sorry Float On hope your ankle will heal up on it's own and you won't need the screws put in. Bet you will find another truck... Hope you are feeling better soon... Christine

Selah
9-6-12, 3:29pm
Float On...Noooooo! I'm so sorry about your injury and the loss of your dear truck! May you heal up quickly, and don't forget to check for whiplash, as it can show up a few days later or even longer. Thank G-d you and your son are OK (more or less), though, as well as your kayak. Kayaking might be a good sport to continue with a busted ankle (bad joke and too soon, but I couldn't resist)!

By the way, thinking of something you mentioned some time ago, at least you don't have to worry about getting pantyhose to fit over your cast anymore to wear to work, LOL!

bunnys
9-6-12, 4:20pm
I'd be looking for another '97 Ford F150 if I were you.

Hope you feel better soon.

Gardenarian
9-6-12, 4:25pm
How very awful - but, wow, you sound so calm. More power to you! I hope you are not in a lot of pain and that your ankle heals well and quickly.

leslieann
9-6-12, 5:19pm
Hug to you, FloatOn, and to your boy. I hope it doesn't put him off driving. I hope your ankle needs the least intervention and of course, the kayak was okay (most important!!).

And RIP your wonderful truck with so many miles.....I am glad that you, son, and kayak are okay.

Simpler at Fifty
9-6-12, 5:33pm
Sorry to hear about your accident FloatOn. Be careful with the ankle. I had a fairly simple break and ended up with blood clots on my lungs. Watch for any unusual breathing issues. The two don't seem related but they can very well be. Good luck on finding another vehicle. Hope DS gets back in a car tonight and drives a bit.

Float On
9-6-12, 6:25pm
Thanks all for the kind words and advice. I can see how blood clots would form....I've never sat in one place for so long before. Going to have to figure out some different positions.
Starting to feel other things hurting as well...hopefully just minor soreness.
Trying my hardest to stay positive and up. The truck insurance has a little medical on it but otherwise I'll have to work with hospitals for payment plans. We've just never been able to get back on our feet enough for insurance again.

CathyA
9-6-12, 8:14pm
Its been my experience that if you pay some each money, they stay happy. They usually give you at least 6 months to repay.
Did your airbags go off? That can cause alot of chest pain.

Lainey
9-6-12, 8:54pm
So sorry to hear about this accident. This may sound strange, but having a truck with 320,000 on it is newsworthy isn't it? I'd be tempted to call the local paper and tell them what happened - maybe a local Ford dealer who reads it could take pity on you faithful Ford drivers and give you a break!

Mrs-M
9-6-12, 10:41pm
So glad it wasn't worse. Speedy-recovery wishes your way, Float On.

ToomuchStuff
9-7-12, 12:19am
. This may sound strange, but having a truck with 320,000 on it is newsworthy isn't it?

Not even close. 300+K on a truck is pretty common. There are a lot of people with trucks that they "upgrade" (more payments) when they get to 100k, but I see trucks all the time that rust away before they die. (and I am not counting commercial vehicles)

Also, since Floaton lives around a lake, she might find a little old lady who either takes it and a boat to the lake, or find a recent widower, whose husband fished. Around here, a older woman with a truck would be a rare site, indeed. Since she is going to be out of commission for a while, and have bills, don't be in a rush. Let the right vehicle find you.

CathyA
9-7-12, 2:40pm
How are you feeling today Float On?