PDA

View Full Version : Earth Turf

Tussiemussies
9-6-12, 3:14pm
Check out this great new grass seed and the grass itself...

http://www.earthturf.com/

Mrs-M
9-6-12, 10:56pm
Deluxe! I HAVE to show this to DH, Tussie.

SteveinMN
9-7-12, 8:36am
Very interesting ... I planted white clover at my mom's place, for both its low-maintenance qualities and its ability to resist the dog's attempts at "watering" (it doesn't yellow like grass does). It does look a bit scraggly, even once it's mowed, though that may be more of a function of how it was seeded and that it isn't exactly tended. It hasn't attracted bees, though, which I was concerned about. I'm going to look into this Earth Turf for our lawn. I may have to eradicate/displace the Creeping Charlie and dandelions, though. Thanks for the tip, Tussiemussies!

JaneV2.0
9-7-12, 12:28pm
I love this kind of stuff. Right now I have a variety of ground covers slowly taking over the front yard. If my lot were different, I'd consider one of the grass alternatives. I've seen one with little flowers incorporated in it that looked charming. In my next digs, I want a little yard for playing catch and lying around grounded to the earth, but no traditional grass.

ToomuchStuff
9-8-12, 11:42am
I have some clover already in the yard, as well as some relatives of mine. While those "we make your yard green" lawn people come around and tell you, you need to get rid of it, several of us are leave it be. Now, with our extreme drought this year, it still went brown. (don't expect a miracle solution)

Gardenarian
9-10-12, 3:56pm
Very interesting. I have tried planting regular white clover and it tends to be very patchy; it doesn't germinate well, and as Steve said, it gets straggly. Maybe the microclover is an improvement?

I wish they had a complete list of the actual ingredients; here is the list from their site but it says "includes", which means it may have other grasses, and does not give the percentage for each grass:

"The turfgrasses in all Earth Turf mixes have high drought tolerance, exceptional appearance, and fast establishment times.

They include patented varieties of creeping red fescue, hard fescue, sheep’s fescue, chewings fescue, dwarf perennial ryegrass and smooth stalked meadow grass."

The price seems good, if it really works! I think I'll do some more research on this.

Tussiemussies
9-10-12, 5:14pm
I really like the option with the flowers in it. Have always waned a flowered lawn.

The only drawback is there seems to be quite a lot of preparation before the seed gates laid down...:)

SteveinMN
9-10-12, 7:54pm
The only drawback is there seems to be quite a lot of preparation before the seed gates laid down.
I suspect that is their attempt at quality control and at giving the seed a fighting chance. :) We overseeded the clover on whatever was on my mom's lawn and it took probably a little less well as it would have with all the prep.

As for Gardenarian's comment on the vague ingredients list, I would guess they keep it a little vague because grass seed mixes vary from region to region. What will survive a Minnesota winter isn't necessarily good for surviving Texas summers. It would be nice, though, if they would let you download the mix contents from their Web sites.