PDA

View Full Version : Well Cleaning?

CathyA
9-8-12, 10:43am
Our 12 year old well pump died last night. :( So no running water.
We called the local well people and they'll be out on Monday. But they did mention giving us a well cleaning for $400 instead of the usual $800, if we do it when they put in a new pump.
At first I was skeptical, but have done a google search and it sounds like it might be a good thing. It blows out all the sand/residue/gunk that has accumulated for about 40 years.
Have any of you on a well had this done? If so, was it a good thing?
Thanks!

razz
9-8-12, 4:43pm
When we put in our new well 21 years ago, cleaning was mentioned as a possible need down the line but we were going to wait until the need arose as we did not want to disturb the well without cause. $400 sounds reasonable to me.

CathyA
9-10-12, 3:10pm
WooHoo! We're back in business! Its been 3 days without water and we have a new pump now. It actually appeared to be a problem with the breaker. But...........since our last pumps only lasted 6 and 12 years and this pump was 12 1/2 years old, I decided to have it changed. I know this might seem very wasteful.........but if we didn't change it now, it might go out at a much worse time.........like when we had the kids home, or during a snow storm, or during a holiday...........so I chose to have it replaced now. And we got a stainless steel one, so hopefully it will last quite awhile.
But.........I can't believe how inconvenienced we are without water! I bought a bunch of bottled water, but you still can't shower or adequately flush the toilet, or wash the dishes. So after a little rest, I'm going to do a ton of dishes, laundry, clean toilets and take a shower! I love H2O!

Tussiemussies
9-10-12, 3:14pm
Glad for you Cathy A, it's funny how we get so used to thins, we don't miss them until we are gone...
Think you made a good move -- going with stainless steel and having it done now before it would be even a bigger inconvience...:)

nswef
9-10-12, 3:35pm
Did you go with the cleaning? I'm interested as it sounds like a good idea. We always keep a bucket or two of water for when the power goes out. Haven't needed it for a long time. I love water!!!

lmerullo
9-10-12, 4:21pm
We bought a home that needed a ton of renovation work. We parked in the yard with our RV, which had water and a generator. New home had neither. We planned on being without for a few days, little did we realize that the electric and water companies will not *instantly* turn on services. We ran out of water. I went to the store, and could only find two gallons of water. (Nearest store was 4 miles, next nearest 10 more) Those two gallons were placed in the sun and moved around the yard all day - in anticipation of my shower that night. Not really sure what hubby was going to do, lol.

The neighbor happened to stop by and asked why there were two gallons of water on the lawn. When I explained, he went home and unrolled his hose(s) and we were able to hook up to their water for the next two days. There is nothing more heavenly than a warm shower after a hard day's work!

Glad you got your well situation fixed, Cathy. You made a sound decision to replace it now. Enjoy!

CathyA
9-10-12, 5:07pm
Yes, I went with the cleaning. I couldn't see it from where I was, but the guy said alot of gunk came out. It makes sense, especially if you have alot of minerals and other crud in your well.
LOL Imerullo.......2 gallons doesn't go very far for a shower! I'm just sooooooooo lucky that when the pump quit, I had just rinsed all the shampoo out of my hair! Can you imagine if my hair was all sudsed up and no water??
I need to chlorinate the house plumbing now, but DS is coming home for a few days, so I guess I'll have to put that off. We won't drink the water until we do that, but I think it will be okay for showers.
The guy who put this one in is the same guy who put one in before. He's a very honest guy and a great teacher at explaining everything, so I felt pretty good with the whole thing...... (other than the cost, of course!).

Tussiemussies
9-10-12, 5:21pm
Glad for you Cathy A that it is almost fully back in order now.

Imerullo, what an experience trying to make it on two gallons of water. Must have been quite a challenge. Thank goodness you have a nice neighbor who helped you out!:)