PDA

View Full Version : Community Building among Families

Tiffany
9-12-12, 3:14am
The church I attend has a family group that doesn't really work for me, but I would still like to build relationships with the other families. I would like to suggest/invite/host some events that would allow us to get to know each other better as families. Currently, the set up is for families of young children to meet regularly, but the children and parents do separate things.

Can you help me think of some good things to do as families with young children (at least one child under 5 per family) as a group? I've invited them to a playdate at my house this month, and to a parenting discussion group I'm hosting. I was thinking a picnic playdate at park with a great playground or big green area to run around in would be fun. Or if you are a member of a family group or church, what have you done to build community with the members? Any good resources about community building?

catherine
9-12-12, 7:18am
I think the picnic idea is perfect. There's always something for everyone and it's easy to come up with great games/sports, like badminton, horseshoes etc.

Also, there are pot lucks and progressive dinners that you can do.

Of course, if you have a local zoo, that's always fun.

You can also arrange outings around kid movies. (Please invite me--I'm starved for a kid movie companion these days!)

When my kids were little, I think a lot of our community was built around the local park (happens to be just beyond my back door). I had a friend who had just moved from NYC and she was so bummed by the isolation in the suburban community that she became a self-appointed neighborhood wrangler. She made specific times and places to meet and she would enforce them! Called us up and took no excuses. I initially met her when I happened to be out in my back yard and started to go in, and I heard this voice from the park yelling "Wait!! Don't go in your house!!!" That was so typical of her.

I think she got burned out and they moved to Germany. I made her a sweatshirt that read "Don't go in your house!" in German.

Amaranth
9-12-12, 12:09pm
Stone soup type meals where everyone brings an ingredient. For soup you may want ingredients dropped off the day before. Can do soup, taco bar, potato bar, homemade pizza, etc.

Scavenger hunt where all things can be found by walking. Take pictures of item instead of taking item. Arrange teams by mixing adults and children from different families. Set it up so the goal is to find everything so everyone "wins."

Wildflower walks. Youngest children will need to be carried in backpack baby carriers.

Easter egg hunt. Parents prep 12 plastic eggs per child (candy, small toys, jewelry, lipbalm and other small useful items). Children find 12 eggs and stop or help younger children. Have 2-6 years go first so they can find the easiest ones. Have 7+ go second.

Once the kids are mostly 4 and up, service projects such as leaf raking are fun.

Square dancing age 3 and up. Space for younger toddlers to move to the music at will.

Christmas caroling. Caroling at other times of the year with different songs.

Letterboxing.

Tiffany
9-13-12, 12:30pm
Thank you for the ideas and encouragement! I think one of the toughest things for this group is that we are so spread out. Several of the families live an hour away from me. We are new to this area, though, so visiting places a little outside our neighborhood is an adventure for us.

I think I will continue to offer invitations and keep showing up when I can to the events that the group is hosting. No one said community building would be easy, I guess.

And I have been thinking of ways to get to know our neighbors, too. I will tuck that progressive dinner idea into my memory bank!

decemberlov
9-13-12, 12:52pm
And I have been thinking of ways to get to know our neighbors, too. I will tuck that progressive dinner idea into my memory bank!

We just moved into a new neighborhood and I have been thinking of good ways to meet my neighbors. I saw this community treasure chest online and thought it may be a great way to meet some new people! I was thinking of making some copies and knocking on some doors to see who would be interested. Here's a link to the Treasure Chest:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/coates114.html

Tiffany
9-13-12, 5:06pm
That is a fascinating idea, decemberlov! That could work for lots of groups. I wonder if my mom's group might be interested in starting one. Thanks so much for sharing!