PDA

View Full Version : Goodreads anyone?

Rogar
9-13-12, 7:28pm
Recently I got an invitation to become a "friend" of my cousin on Goodreads. I had not ever heard of it, but after a little research it seems like it is sort of popular. I noticed my library references the Goodreads reviews on their web site. I am not huge into social media and have not signed up for Facebook and only follow the simple living and one other conversational type forum. I am wondering if it is useful.

Do any of you use Goodreads and find value in it? What part of it seems useful? If nothing else, it seems like a reasonable way to track what I've read.

fidgiegirl
9-13-12, 8:56pm
I enjoy it for a number of reasons.

1) I LOVE going back and looking at what I've read. I also keep a "to read" shelf on there so if I am puzzling over what to get next, I will go there to look, or I will keep track of professional to-reads on there.
2) It's a great way to find out about new books without having to go to the bookstore (oh temptation) or the library.
3) I have better real-life conversations with the people I know who are also on Goodreads. There are a number of them from work. So we can chat about books instead of small-talking about the weather. :)

iris lily
9-13-12, 9:54pm
I belong to Goodreads but never really utilized it. I thought that I'd keep track of books that I read, but nope--having got around to making it a reagular website visit.

ToomuchStuff
9-14-12, 1:26am
I would think typing them into a list (either word processor, spreadsheet, or database), would be as easy as joining a site, if all you are trying to do is "remember" what books you have read. (I say that, because one reader in my family, bought a book four times in a month, as they didn't remember reading it. I understood only one of them as different cover.)
Otherwise I am interested in what others have to say.
fidgiegirl, how or do they have some sort of recommendation by subject/author, etc?

fidgiegirl
9-14-12, 7:56am
fidgiegirl, how or do they have some sort of recommendation by subject/author, etc?

There are ratings, plus mainly I like to see what my friends are reading so then I get ideas from them.

But your question made me look, and I am totally pumped! They are making recommendations based on my various "shelves" - I have several: professional, read, to read, currently reading, diverse perspectives, most memorable. It was interesting to see what emerges from those recommendations. But they also have recommdations by genre. You can also ask the community for recommendations.

I agree that one could keep track easily in another program, but the visual is what clinches it for me. And the social aspect is enjoyable for me personally, though I know that not everyone is into that part.

Zoe Girl
9-14-12, 8:47am
I personally love it, I just got signed up. I want to get my aunt and my mom onto the site because we all share a lot of books and similar tastes. I have two friends now and i hope others join.

You could start your own spreadsheet however part of the purpose of this is to create a social environment of readers. I meet a lot of people who do not read at all so it is very nice.

Florence
9-14-12, 12:31pm
I really like Goodreads. I am a member of two of the groups at Goodreads--The History Group and the Science and Nature Group. Several times I have participated in a monthly group reading of a book and it was interesting. I like the To Read Bookshelf although mine is totally out of control...I'll never get around to all of them!!

Rogar
9-15-12, 8:13am
I appreciate the opinions. I think I might give it a try.

Gardenarian
9-17-12, 4:31pm
Another vote for Goodreads! I like it that they tell me when new books by authors I like are coming out - I can be the first on to put it on hold at the library. I have also found lots of good reccomendations for books for my dd.

They don't bombard you with email, which I like. I don't use it socially (I haven't "friended" anyone.) I just use it to record the books I've read and to get recommendations.

As a librarian, I often use it to find books for someone who is "just looking for something good to read."