We have become long on quantity
but short on quality.
These are times of fast food
and slow digestion
Tall man but short character
Steep profits but shallow relationships
It's a time where there is much in the window
but nothing in the room.

~Pastor Bob Moorehead - pastor of Overlake Christian Church in Redmond, Washington

bunnys
9-14-12, 3:11pm
I don't think I agree with much of what the Dalai Lama (who I find to be a media hound) claims in that statement.

loosechickens
9-14-12, 3:21pm
This quote is NOT from the Dalai Lama. (OP, would appreciate it if you could correct your post.)

The quote is actually from a Pastor Bob Moorehead, who was pastor of Overlake Christian Church in Redmond, Washington for 29 years,until he was forced out of his church as a sexual molestor of seventeen members of his own congregation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Wikiwatcher1

Here is the full quote:

We have taller buildings but shorter tempers; wider freeways but narrower viewpoints; we spend more but have less; we buy more but enjoy it less; we have bigger houses and smaller families; more conveniences, yet less time; we have more degrees but less sense; more knowledge but less judgment; more experts, yet more problems; we have more gadgets but less satisfaction; more medicine, yet less wellness; we take more vitamins but see fewer results. We drink too much; smoke too much; spend too recklessly; laugh too little; drive too fast; get too angry; stay up too late; get up too tired; read too seldom; watch TV too much and pray too seldom.
We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values; we fly in faster planes to arrive there quicker, to do less and return sooner; we sign more contracts only to realize fewer profits; we talk too much; love too seldom and lie too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life; we've added years to life, not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbor. We've conquered outer space, but not inner space; we've done larger things, but not better things; we've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul; we've split the atom, but not our prejudice; we write more, but learn less; plan more, but accomplish less; we make faster planes, but longer lines; we learned to rush, but not to wait; we have more weapons, but less peace; higher incomes, but lower morals; more parties, but less fun; more food, but less appeasement; more acquaintances, but fewer friends; more effort, but less success. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but have less communication; drive smaller cars that have bigger problems; build larger factories that produce less. We've become long on quantity, but short on quality.
These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion; tall men, but short character; steep in profits, but shallow relationships. These are the times of world peace, but domestic warfare; more leisure and less fun; higher postage, but slower mail; more kinds of food, but less nutrition. These are the days of two incomes, but more divorces; these quick trips, disposable diapers, cartridge living, throw-away morality, one-night stands, overweight bodies and pills that do everything from cheer, to prevent, quiet or kill. It is a time when there is much in the show window and nothing in the stock room. "The Paradox of Our Age"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These statements were used in internet hoaxes which attributed them to various authors including George Carlin, and a teen who had witnessed the Columbine High School massacre; they are quoted in "The Paradox of Our Time" at Snopes.com. see link:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/paradox.asp

Those intent on taking inspiration from this man should know that he was accused by seventeen members of his church of sexual molestation and sexual assault, and after a year of being supported by his church, was finally forced out of his post when it was concluded that the accusations were true.

SO........besides the fact that the Dalai Lama would never be saying this kind of thing.....before quoting something you get off the internet, it's always good to check out the true source. Thanks.

decemberlov
9-14-12, 3:28pm
This quote is NOT from the Dalai Lama. (OP, would appreciate it if you could correct your post.)

The quote is actually from a Pastor Bob Moorehead, who was pastor of Overlake Christian Church in Redmond, Washington for 29 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Wikiwatcher1

Here is the full quote:

We have taller buildings but shorter tempers; wider freeways but narrower viewpoints; we spend more but have less; we buy more but enjoy it less; we have bigger houses and smaller families; more conveniences, yet less time; we have more degrees but less sense; more knowledge but less judgment; more experts, yet more problems; we have more gadgets but less satisfaction; more medicine, yet less wellness; we take more vitamins but see fewer results. We drink too much; smoke too much; spend too recklessly; laugh too little; drive too fast; get too angry; stay up too late; get up too tired; read too seldom; watch TV too much and pray too seldom.
We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values; we fly in faster planes to arrive there quicker, to do less and return sooner; we sign more contracts only to realize fewer profits; we talk too much; love too seldom and lie too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life; we've added years to life, not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbor. We've conquered outer space, but not inner space; we've done larger things, but not better things; we've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul; we've split the atom, but not our prejudice; we write more, but learn less; plan more, but accomplish less; we make faster planes, but longer lines; we learned to rush, but not to wait; we have more weapons, but less peace; higher incomes, but lower morals; more parties, but less fun; more food, but less appeasement; more acquaintances, but fewer friends; more effort, but less success. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but have less communication; drive smaller cars that have bigger problems; build larger factories that produce less. We've become long on quantity, but short on quality.
These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion; tall men, but short character; steep in profits, but shallow relationships. These are the times of world peace, but domestic warfare; more leisure and less fun; higher postage, but slower mail; more kinds of food, but less nutrition. These are the days of two incomes, but more divorces; these quick trips, disposable diapers, cartridge living, throw-away morality, one-night stands, overweight bodies and pills that do everything from cheer, to prevent, quiet or kill. It is a time when there is much in the show window and nothing in the stock room. "The Paradox of Our Age"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These statements were used in internet hoaxes which attributed them to various authors including George Carlin, and a teen who had witnessed the Columbine High School massacre; they are quoted in "The Paradox of Our Time" at Snopes.com. see link:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/paradox.asp

Those intent on taking inspiration from this man should know that he was accused by seventeen members of his church of sexual molestation and sexual assault, and after a year of being supported by his church, was finally forced out of his post when it was concluded that the accusations were true.

SO........besides the fact that the Dalai Lama would never be saying this kind of thing.....before quoting something you get off the internet, it's always good to check out the true source. Thanks.

Thank you for the full quote. I corrected the OP. It was sent to me by a friend today in my email and I was unaware the info was not correct.

loosechickens
9-14-12, 3:31pm
I hope that you send back an email so that you friend knows who he or she is actually quoting, and if it is a person they want to quote. Appreciate the correction on the post. Thank you.

decemberlov
9-14-12, 3:36pm
ok i somehow missed the last part of your post.
Now that I know who this person is I'm not sure I want to be quoting him....it seemed a little better out of context.
Can you delete your own thread on here?
Hope I didn't get anyone mad...feel kinda silly now

loosechickens
9-14-12, 3:59pm
not to worry.......happens to all of us. In fact, it's happened to me so many times that I almost reflexively look up everything I quote before I post it, especially if it comes to me through "the internets". I'll just copy and put the quote into Google and see what pops up. It's amazing what a large percentage of stuff wafting around out there is inaccurate, misquoted, or attributed to someone else.

actually, the thread may end up being instructive to someone else who may have gotten that in an email and unthinkingly assumed the Dalai Lama said it, and passed it on. It took me a long time, and LOTS of things I linked to, or quoted, that proved to be wrong, in order for me to check, check and recheck all of them.

It's all good........let it stay. Don't feel silly, at all. It happens to all of us, and to me it had to happen over and over before I learned to be a skeptic about pretty much anything that crossed my email inbox.... ;-)

sweetana3
9-14-12, 5:57pm
I so agree with the whole thread being a good lesson. Being skeptical is almost always a good thing whether internet, newpapers, tv, radio, etc.

decemberlov
9-14-12, 6:09pm
I so agree with the whole thread being a good lesson. Being skeptical is almost always a good thing whether internet, newpapers, tv, radio, etc.

Agreed...i will definitely be more skeptical in the future ;)

JaneV2.0
9-14-12, 6:40pm
I think a version of that speech has been uttered by some old crank in every generation since shortly after we stopped swinging from trees; it's no wonder it's so often misattributed.

peggy
9-14-12, 7:20pm
So much junk comes through our e-mails, even from unsuspecting and respected sources, you can't blame yourself for something slipping though. I think it actually speaks to your general goodness and willingness to believe what people tell you. That your first response is to believe and respond in kind speaks well for you, not ill. I see it as a testament to your natural goodness and honesty.
We are good people, for the most part. I believe this. You are a good person, who thought to post words in good conscience. Don't let it bother you. No one will hold it against you.:) We have all done this!

Rogar
9-14-12, 7:44pm
I sort of enjoyed reading it regardless of who said it. Some I don't exactly agree with, some rings pretty true to our times.

Alan
9-14-12, 7:46pm
Does the message change depending upon the speaker?

creaker
9-14-12, 8:29pm
Does the message change depending upon the speaker?

I was thinking the same thing. I'd say that it can, although I think it shouldn't. They are just a collection of words, we're the ones who read them and decide their meaning and worth.

It just gets more complicated when you wonder what was going on in the head of the person that wrote them.

bunnys
9-14-12, 8:29pm
I think a version of that speech has been uttered by some old crank in every generation since shortly after we stopped swinging from trees; it's no wonder it's so often misattributed.

Yeah, I agree (even if I didn't verify the quoter.) It's that old Luddite mentality that we hanker back for the time when women and minorities were oppressed and people were uneducated and so condemned to live a life of grinding poverty before they died of some incurable infection at the age of 45 because antibiotics hadn't yet been invented. Ahh, the good old days...

Mrs-M
9-15-12, 9:21am
I sort of enjoyed reading it regardless of who said it. Some I don't exactly agree with, some rings pretty true to our times.Me, too, Rogar.

puglogic
9-15-12, 7:12pm
I sort of enjoyed reading it regardless of who said it. Some I don't exactly agree with, some rings pretty true to our times.

I've read this before and had the same reaction. Some things have always been the case, some things I disagree, some I agree. Which I suppose puts it into the category of "interesting but nothing to write home about." Certain things I do think have gotten much, much worse than past complaints, as we largely slip away from any sense of community or common goals.

RosieTR
9-16-12, 12:20am
I've read this before and had the same reaction. Some things have always been the case, some things I disagree, some I agree. Which I suppose puts it into the category of "interesting but nothing to write home about." Certain things I do think have gotten much, much worse than past complaints, as we largely slip away from any sense of community or common goals.

Yeah, I actually liked the original post better than the original full quote. However both are generalizations that cannot always be applied IMO. And both speak of the fear of change that every generation has. I would agree with you, Pug, that some things have gotten worse while others better, and by that same sense, some sense of community has been enhanced by "our age" (of computers and technology) and some sense of community has been lost.