PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Germany

Taffy
9-19-12, 1:29am
Good morning folks,

I am Taffy, 35, living in Bottrop in Germany. I learned my english 15 years ago from a 3 year old, as I was an au pair in the US.
I am married, working full time as a study nurse, have 2 russian blue cats and 2 stepdaughter teens.

I found the simple living or minimalisim in the beginning of this year. I always had the feeling of cleaning up, but that feeling had no name and therefor it didn't really work. But then I found the right name for that feeling. I read almost all articals from Joshua Beckers blog and finally got started. But I still have to much stuff and my DH is not working with me, his office is a total mess.
Well the problem at the moment is, if I don't read and think about this topic I forget and fall back into old habbits, therefor I really need this forum here.

Well there is much more I could tell you, but first I want to read some more stuff here from you.

:)

Selah
9-19-12, 4:25am
Welcome, Taffy! We're so happy to have you, and it's great to see people from Europe joining in. Where is Bottrop, and what is it like as a town? I've only been to Aachen, Koln, Dusseldorf, and the big bus station in Munich a long time ago, but I hear Berlin is really rocking these days!

You will get a lot of support from the people here, plus a wide range of views and philosophies. It gets a little intense sometimes, but it's all worth it!

Wilkommen!

Taffy
9-19-12, 5:32am
Thank you for the warm welcom.
Bottrop is in the mid west, close to Düsseldorf. Bottrop is a city in a community of lots of big cities. I work in Essen, live in Bottrop, stepkids live in Oberhausen, then there is Duisburg, Dortmund, Bochum aso.

Well Berlin, I lived there til 2004 and the city was just to big. I always need 1 hr to get around. This city is just to big. If I could I would move out to the country. I don't need a big city or neighbors.

Yes I am looking forward to new views and ideas.

Rosemary
9-19-12, 6:50am
Welcome!
I've been to Oberhausen, have relatives there - also Rietberg and Neuenkirchen in that general region. I love visiting Germany and hope to get back again soon. I live in Minnesota, USA, a state with a strong German and Scandinavian heritage.

You'll find many good ideas here and we look forward to hearing yours!

Tammy
9-19-12, 8:52am
My father in law was born in a little village in the black forest area near stuttgart. His family came to the usa when he was 7. My husband and I were there to visit cousins about 5 years ago. Rural Germany is beautiful.

SteveinMN
9-19-12, 8:58am
Another Minnesotan saying hello! I've never visited the Düsseldorf area, but visited Berlin in the late 80s and a town near Freiburg (the name of which I don't remember right now) in the early 90s. I enjoyed both visits very much.

I'm fairly new to this forum myself, but it has been very helpful in supporting my (and my wife's) new simpler life. There are lots of good ideas and great support here. Taffy, living outside North America, your contributions will be especially welcome.

CathyA
9-19-12, 9:24am
Hi Taffy, and welcome!

I worked on the Island Fohr when I was younger. Germany has many beautiful places.
Again, welcome!

decemberlov
9-19-12, 10:06am
Hi Taffy!! I'm pretty new here as well. There are some really great people on this board and so much good information! You'll really like it here :)

Synapse to synapse
9-28-12, 2:59pm
I have always wanted to visit Germany! That's where most of my heritage lies.

I know they probably aren't as present in this day and age, but I love looking at Low German houses! I would love to go into the country and find a house like that and live there. They're just designed so intricately and unique. Though, I read a quick article on Wikipedia, and it states they're still found throughout the countryside. How true is this, and how present are they? I'm curiously interested! :~)

Welcome, by the way. :welcome:

I'm new too. :)

Gregg
10-23-12, 9:53am
Welcome Taffy. It will be wonderful for us to have your persepctive from Germany in our discussions!