PDA

View Full Version : Outfitting myself for car-free living

screamingflea
2-4-11, 8:47pm
I was planning to do it piecemeal as paychecks came in, but I don't think I can afford to wait for the sake of my sanity.

After a cursory glance at available smartphones, I'm thinking about going for the gluttonous excess of the Iphone 4. I have no interest in the Videophone function, but I really want to be able to download free audiobooks from my library. And, of course, music. It'll keep me from slapping the Mean Girls we pick up on my route when school lets out. Not only will it spare me the embarrassment of generating headlines, but it'll be free since I'm way overdue on my free upgrade from Verizon.

As far as the bike gear goes? Probably one of those dorky blinking vests, and a helmet headlight. I'm still very undecided about panniers as opposed to backpacks as opposed to whatever else is on the market. I've also thought about getting one of those collapsible grocery carts, although I'm not sure how often I'd use it.

All of which is to say I'm open to suggestions, as always. :D

Dhiana
2-5-11, 2:16pm
I bungy corded my backpack to the bike rack in back. I've seen people zip tie a milk crate onto the top of the bike rack and just put their stuff in that way. Probably cheaper than panniers. I do have a set of panniers for larger loads but for general commuting type of cycling I just had my backpack. Not sure what the laws are for your area but usually a headlight needs to be on the front of your bike and a red light on the back. Up to you if you want added blinky lights, etc. Bright clothing is usually enough during the day.

Bootsie
2-5-11, 2:29pm
My DH commutes on his bike. He has pannier bags and a bright biking jacket with reflectors on it, as well as lights on his bike and helmet.

I use my collapsable shopping cart all the time - mostly for groceries, laundry, and library. I have two sizes - a small, narrow one and a large one. They aren't convenient on public transportation, but are super great for when you're walking somewhere with a heavy load. Look for good wheels as these are what go first, in my experience, and sturdy wheels make the cart much easier to use. I also purchased a good backpack that has features for distributing the weight properly. This backpack has made a world of difference to me when carrying groceries.

Stella
2-5-11, 4:56pm
Is the iphone actually free with the upgrade or just cheaper? I could be wrong but I thought my friend just told me that she upgraded and it was still about $200. I could be confused on that. I'll readily admit to loving the iphone. My dad gave me his old one, which functions as an ipod touch since I don't have a cell phone plan and I use it often. It does seem like it would be useful on a bus ride.

Reyes
2-6-11, 5:51pm
I"m confused:-) What does the IPhone have to do with being car-free?

lhamo
2-7-11, 12:01am
My DH commutes on his bike. He has pannier bags and a bright biking jacket with reflectors on it, as well as lights on his bike and helmet.

I use my collapsable shopping cart all the time - mostly for groceries, laundry, and library. I have two sizes - a small, narrow one and a large one. They aren't convenient on public transportation, but are super great for when you're walking somewhere with a heavy load. Look for good wheels as these are what go first, in my experience, and sturdy wheels make the cart much easier to use. I also purchased a good backpack that has features for distributing the weight properly. This backpack has made a world of difference to me when carrying groceries.

I've been really happy with the wheeled shopping cart I got from Ikea -- I use it to do my major weekly shopping run where I get food for four people, and it holds a ton of stuff. The website says it is max 44 lbs, but I think I put more than that in it with no ill effects so far. Mine is this pattern but in bright pink instead of black (doesn't seem to be available on the US website):

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80162970

lhamo

screamingflea
2-7-11, 4:48pm
I"m confused:-) What does the IPhone have to do with being car-free?

It's about downloading music and audiobooks. I already have a cellphone and a camera, but it would be nice to condense it all down to one machine. The machine itself is free with my "new every 2" deal from Verizon, but the data package would cost a mandatory $30/mo as long as I own the phone. Which is nowhere near as cheap as an MP3.

Basically, I'm fishing for an excuse to get a fancypants new toy. }:-)

Stella
2-7-11, 5:17pm
Flea would you maybe be better off buying an iPod touch if you mostly want the books and music? It would cost more upfront but there's no monthly fee. You wouldn't have Internet on the bus though.

Reyes
2-7-11, 5:49pm
Basically, I'm fishing for an excuse to get a fancypants new toy. }:-)

Ah, now THAT I understand:-) Done that myself:-)

Anne Lee
2-12-11, 11:41pm
I'm not trying to be a party pooper but we are on Verizon and the smartphones are not free with upgrade. They stopped that deal I think in January sometimes. Of course, don't take my word for it. I do hope I'm wrong...

Anne Lee
2-15-11, 10:48am
Ok, we upgraded our phones via the internet. Since we don't have a data package, I didn't look too long at the smartphones. But I do recall that a few certified pre-owned smartphones were free.

Since I'm only just getting around to getting a QWERTY keyboard, it will be a while before I get up to a smartphone.