PDA

View Full Version : WWII farm BBC series

IshbelRobertson
9-20-12, 8:52am
This latest series on farming, with the same team as the previous two, is wonderful. It's at the top of my viewing list at present.

If it reaches the USA and Canada, try to see it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mmt8t

Rosemary
9-21-12, 7:59am
this looks like something that my family would enjoy - thanks for the tip!

Gingerella72
10-8-12, 3:37pm
I loved the Victorian Farm and Edwardian Farm series they did, can't wait to find this to view somewhere here in the US! I wish BBC licencing were more lenient with viewing from other countries!

edited to add: just found it on youtube, must watch it quickly before they get taken down (as VF and EF have been).

bae
10-8-12, 3:40pm
I have tried multiple times to buy a "TV license" from the British, so I could use their wonderful streaming service, but they can't seem to handle the idea that I want to give them money, instead of use a pirate proxy server in Wales....

bunnys
10-8-12, 5:30pm
Both Edwardian and Victorian Farm are both up on Youtube now. Looks like they were all put up in the past few weeks.

You'll be spending many hours learning about English farming in the 20th century if you devote yourself to these videos. Probably more than any of us could possibly want to know--unless we're currently English farmers who love history.

bae
10-8-12, 5:47pm
Both Edwardian and Victorian Farm are both up on Youtube now. Looks like they were all put up in the past few weeks.

Perfect, thanks so much!

You'll be spending many hours learning about English farming in the 20th century if you devote yourself to these videos. Probably more than any of us could possibly want to know--unless we're currently English farmers who love history.

Or unless we are American farmers worried about where history is going :-)

Florence
10-8-12, 7:19pm
Wonderful thanks. I'd like to buy the DVDs but amazon.com says they are not USA formatted. You'd think it would be worth it to them to sell to the US market. Odd.

Tiam
10-9-12, 1:12am
Thanks for the link, I'm enjoying it. It doesn't work for me, on that link, but it's available on Youtube. Also supersizers who try out historical times with tongue in cheek. I love them. The supersizers came out healthier after their experience with the ww2 ration materials.

Lainey
10-9-12, 10:50pm
slightly off topic:
Ishbel, what ever happened to the BBC show, "Life Laundry" if you know? It was similar to our show "Hoarders" but our PBS station stopped airing it years ago because it was not available with closed-captioning, and that's mandatory now from what I understand.
I was completely fascinated with it.

IshbelRobertson
10-10-12, 4:40am
That's not a programme I know about, lainey. But I'll do a check and see if I can find anything on it.

sweetana3
10-10-12, 7:04am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Laundry

It was a great show. BBC got all the info on a short show without all the gimmickry that the US shows like Clean Sweep use. I learned a lot and enjoyed seeing the issue across the pond.

Lainey
10-10-12, 8:25pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Laundry

It was a great show. BBC got all the info on a short show without all the gimmickry that the US shows like Clean Sweep use. I learned a lot and enjoyed seeing the issue across the pond.

Thanks for the link, sweetana3. I didn't realize it had been since 2004 that it was off the air. Would be fascinating to revisit some of those people now and see how their lives have changed or if they were able to maintain their clean homes.