PDA

View Full Version : New Saturday Night Live season opener

CathyA
9-23-12, 12:03pm
I like to laugh. I wondered how the show would be without Kristen Wigg and a couple of the others.
Last night was the season premier. I thought it was awful. Why do they have to resort to sexuality all the time?
Its like its written by teenage boys. I guess you do that when you can't really be truly funny.
If it continues this way, I guess I'll get to go to bed earlier on Saturday nights.

bunnys
9-23-12, 12:20pm
I haven't watched SNL for about a decade (possibly longer) although I have seen some clips.

I like the political satire the best but I don't think the people who do the impressions have been very good recently.

I thought Darryl Hammond was really good with all his impressions. Is he still on the show? I also thought Fay's impression of Sarah Palin was very good last cycle.

Yeah, I think their target audience is male like 18-24, right? So raunchy humor would be de rigueur.

CathyA
9-23-12, 1:18pm
I like the political satire too. But even that wasn't that good. No, Darryl Hammond left a long time ago. Tina Fey did too.
It surprises me how the quality of the show can vary so much through the years. I think the host has alot to do with the tone of the show too. Last night's host was that young guy that used to be on 3rd rock from the sun. This is his second time, and both times were pretty bad. Some of the other hosts seem to have consistently good humor (like Alec Baldwin). I think some hosts just refuse to do that crude sexual stuff.
Me, I miss the cone heads and Todd and Lisa. haha

goldensmom
9-23-12, 1:40pm
I rarely watch SNL anymore because, in my opinion, all pale in comparison to the Dan Ackroyd, John Balushi, Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtain (etc., etc.) era. ‘Roseanna, Roseanna Danna’, ‘Two Wild and Crazy Guys’, that shark and ‘Candy Gram’ and yes, the ‘Coneheads’ and ‘Todd and Lisa‘. So much of the political satire has gone from jesting to mean spiritedness and the attempt at sexual comedy is sometimes just nasty. Yup, gimme the old SNL.

The Storyteller
9-28-12, 6:37pm
Are Belushi and Akroyd still on the show? They were pretty funny. And not at all raunchy.

CathyA
9-28-12, 7:52pm
hahaha Storyteller........I guess you haven't watched it in awhile. Belushi died about 20 years ago.
I don't think any of it was raunchy back then. Oh wait.......maybe Steve Martin was a little.......but nothing compared to today's raunchy.
Do any of you remember Rich Hall doing a David Byrne impression............'did I get a bad deal?' So much of the stuff then was so hysterical, and it didn't need to be raunchy to be exceptionally funny.

SteveinMN
9-29-12, 10:48am
SNL is the ideal show to tape/record on DVR and replay. That way you can skip the sketches that die halfway through for the audience (but not the cast) or the ones that start out bad and just go downhill from there.

DW and I watched; I thought it was one of the worst episodes I'd seen lately. Even Weekend Update didn't hit as often as it usually does though Kate McKinnon does a pretty good Ann Romney. And I loved "Low Information Voters".