PDA

View Full Version : My Hour of Decadance at the Container Store

Life_is_Simple
9-23-12, 1:19pm
WARNING: The very frugal amongst us may want to stop now, and click out of this thread ;)

During my massive decluttering the past few months, I made mental notes of organizational items that might be helpful to me. So yesterday, I treated myself and went to The Container Store. I had never been there before. I walked around with my mouth agape --> :0! Oddly, I didn't buy anything I wasn't already thinking of buying, even though I hadn't given myself that constraint.

I mainly wanted to get some suitcase organizers. When I travel, the things I need are not easily found. I ended up finding a travel bag that folds out, with several compartments, where everything I need other than clothes is in one bag. It fits in a suitcase. This was kind of expensive (i.e., more than $20), but I know that if I get EXACTLY what I need, it will make my life much easier.:+1:

I also got a bamboo silverware drawer divider. This replaces the plastic one I had where the forks were invading the knife space, and the knives had overflowed out into the drawer itself. :laff: The new one is so nice, has a lot of space, and fits in the drawer perfectly! I took out old silverware, and just left the most recent set. I also got a similar bamboo thing for long utensils.

I found a few other things:

Little wire mesh office drawer organizers. Had some, like them.
Closet rod dividers - this will be something new for me to try. Hopefully it helps me get rid of more clothes by having them organized and labeled
Plastic sliding stackable drawers - I have some of these and they are useful for things like photos
Another smaller travel organizer bag

That's it :)

sweetana3
9-23-12, 1:41pm
That is the most dangerous store in our town for me. I walk around figuring out how I can use each item.

Did get a swing lid garbage can for my sewing room to keep the cats out of thread and fabric. Got some plastic shallow lidded containers with lots of divided compartments for my specialty buttons. And found a silicone holder for the sponge that fits over the double bowl sink divider to allow the sponge to dry out.

I could have filled the car.

JaneV2.0
9-23-12, 2:04pm
One of my many gazingus pins. I love well-designed storage containers. Costco sells big plastic bins with latching lids that are perfect for fabric and linens and clothing. Iris clear plastic shoe boxes are another favorite.

Float On
9-23-12, 2:14pm
I'm often glad there isn't one within a 5 hours drive for me. When we're in the city that is often a place I like to go and touch everything.

ApatheticNoMore
9-23-12, 2:32pm
I usually buy glass containers for food with snap on lids, small glass spice containers, larger glass containers I use for dried peppers, glass containers with lids for food (use these in the freezer also). I've bought some snap lid plastic containers one which I'm using for stamps and envelopes, another of which is storing warrenties and some other random pappers in the closet. I'm pretty well restrained I think :)

herbgeek
9-23-12, 5:21pm
I love the Container Store. My big gazingus pin is buying containers to hold little "kits", ie pocket kits with essentials like bandaids and ear plugs. I like the little stocking stuffers they offer at Christmas, even though the items are horribly overpriced. My closet stuff tends to be more utilitarian (ie Sterilite boxes I can get at Target or Walmart), but I do like to look at all the color coordinated collections of stuff there.

lhamo
9-23-12, 5:40pm
I hear ya -- I hit Ikea on the way home on Friday for our quarterly salmon/jam/pasta sauce/dark chocolate stock-up, and it was really hard to keep from filling up the cart with nice organizing doo-dads! Ended up ok with just the things on my list (new pencil cases for kids, pillow for DS) and some slippers for the inlaws.

And then I bought a chocolate cake to celebrate :)

lhamo

frugalone
9-23-12, 6:08pm
I get large plastic bins whenever I find them on sale. They're good for out of season clothing, art supplies, things like tote bags that don't fit in a closet, etc. Definitely a gazingus pin.

iris lily
9-23-12, 9:50pm
This thread is making me laugh.

I don't know where the container store is in our metro area. I don't think that I want to find out.

One thing I inherited from my mom was a bunch of Rubbermaid tubs. While it is true that I had to empty the crap in the tubs, I didn't have much trouble doing that (thank you Mr. Dumpster) and I now use them for my own purposes.

When my mom was still alive and cognizant, on one of her visits here, she bought plastic food containers at the store for us. That was a revelation, I had NEVER purchased container expressively to store food. I did keep things around that came with food in them.

Those purchased ones were a nice size, and now that the taboo of buying food containers is broken, I buy them every few years and I do not feel wasteful or guilty about it.

lhamo
9-24-12, 12:06am
When my mom was still alive and cognizant, on one of her visits here, she bought plastic food containers at the store for us. That was a revelation, I had NEVER purchased container expressively to store food. I did keep things around that came with food in them.

Those purchased ones were a nice size, and now that the taboo of buying food containers is broken, I buy them every few years and I do not feel wasteful or guilty about it.

I LOOOOOVE my food containers! We have a nice setup where the containers all fit nested in a bottom drawer, and the lids are stacked according to size in the drawer right above it. Makes me happy every time I see it. Square/rectangular ones are the best. I hate the round ones, which is what we seem to get with takeout, etc. I throw those out when DH isn't looking. Don't want any circles messing up my nice food-storage geometry.

lhamo

frugalone
9-24-12, 1:27pm
Remember the late great George Carlin's routine, "A Place for My Stuff"?

pony mom
9-25-12, 10:03pm
My food containers create an avalanche when I open the cabinet. A few months ago I splurged on a GlassLock square container, which are guaranteed not to leak. After using cheap Gladwares and other kinds, I'm spoiled by this one. Everything tastes better in it too.

Never been in a Container Store but would probably find a use for everything they sell.

beckyliz
10-2-12, 2:57pm
Evil Beckyliz is here to tell you that they have a website: www.containerstore.com (http://www.containerstore.com) bwahahaha! The closest one to me closed a few years ago, however, I hear that an Ikea is opening up within an hour of where I live. Must.stay.strong.