PDA

View Full Version : October Gratitude

SteveinMN
10-1-12, 10:44pm
I had to have the sewer-clearing people out again today at my mom's place (my rental property). This is a frequent-enough occurrence that the guy (it's always the same one) knows how to get here without looking up the address. :( This time the blockage required digging two holes in the front yard to reach the cleanout on the sewer line.

But I am thankful because 1) the fix didn't break anything else; 2) the problem is resolved and there's nothing we have to do immediately (though there is stuff we should do soon -- hydraulic, not behavioral); 3) he didn't have to dig under (or remove) the wheelchair ramp; 4) he didn't have to remove the little spruce tree by the line (though it should be moved, which is fine because I didn't want it planted there anyway); and 5) even though he spent close to three hours here and got drop-by assistance from a colleague of his, the guy took $25 off his usual charge for us being such "good" customers. :cool:

They say "A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour." Consider me happy -- and grateful. This is not how I planned to spend my afternoon, but I'm happy with the outcome.

puglogic
10-2-12, 5:00pm
Thanks for starting the month, Steve, and the inspiration.

I am grateful today for being tired. It sounds funny, but I reach a stage of tiredness sometimes where it acts a little like a mild sedative, and keeps me from worrying about things that usually drive me crazy. I have a lot to do today -- more than any human could get done -- but I'm so tired that I can only focus on the one or two things that are most important, and the rest of the minutia has faded back into a sort of blur where I can neither see nor worry about it. It's how I should probably live ALL the time, focusing on what's most important and letting the rest get handled in its turn, but I easily fall back into my constant stress state about "how am I ever going to....wait, I have to do THIS first.....what's going to happen if....."

Here in tiredville, everything is going to be Just Fine.

And I'm grateful for that.

Lainey
10-2-12, 8:03pm
Grateful that a project I spearheaded at work has really gained traction, and will bring us demonstrated six-figure dollar savings in 2013.

Grateful I could pay cash for a major home landscaping project that will make my backyard space so much more enjoyable.

treehugger
10-2-12, 8:34pm
We signed our mortgage re-fi paperwork and get to "skip" October's mortgage payment. We will be saving $776 a month! We are beyond happy and thankful for this (yay, HARP program!). This is the first time in 5 years that we are able to look towards the future with hope instead of dread.

Kara

BayouGirl
10-2-12, 10:23pm
I am so grateful that I am nothing like my family. I am constantly counting my blessing, even the smallest ones. I am constantly thankful for for my loved ones and express that to them regularly by telling why I appreciate them in words, texts, cards, small gifts, etc. You never know how long you have in earth, so the time to tell people how much you love and appreciate them is daily. So what if you seem mushy. Being mushy with those you love is not something you will ever regret.

I came from a family that is never satisfied. They fight each other for everything, consider me stupid or weak for not scamming to make money or being sue happy, and look down on everything other people do, including me. They will never be satisfied with what they have and will always want more. I have always been "the black sheep, the odd one, the one who Lives in her own world".

One of the things that I am most grateful for is simply my unerring ability to be grateful. Finding a pretty rock pleases me, listening to BayouBoy snore at night is a sound that I am thankful for (my late fiance snored and the silence after his death was so hard to deal with). Having my tribe of cats (the population of Kitty City) come running when I call them for dinner makes me so happy and my two littlest kittens area source of joy as they crawl in my lap and try to out-purr each other. I love caring for others and small creatures, whether 2 legged or 4 legged. I like making them feel special.

BayouBoy and I live on less that $800 a month and many would say that is poverty level or worse. Many would consider that to be a bleak existence. But our pretty house (600sq ft) is paid off, we own 20 acres and have use of hundreds more and are surrounded by undisturbed uninhabited woodland, wetland, pastures and pecan trees.. We are both self employed freelancers who work when we want. We could make much more if we wished (and we do make more than just $800) , I have a college degree, he is well skilled in many areas. But we wanted a simple life. We didn't want to be at the mercy of the economy and of the job market or bosses. We volunteer with the local fire department and BayouBoy often fixes things for friends, family or elderly people and lets them pay him with a home cooked meal or a few gallons of fresh creamy milk straight from the cow.

I got laid off from my job at the library last year and was happy with that because I never would have quit because it was a great job, but I wanted to be more at home. My boss cried while I comforted her and thanked her for the great time I had with them, had fulfilled my dream of working as a librarian and was ready to pursue my dreams of working for myself. Then my uncle died, leaving my gram to live alone (at age 92) as since I was no longer working, I could take turns spending weeks with her and then spend a few weeks at home while my mom stayed with her so that worked out ideally.

My late fiance said that pain in my side wasn't a kidney stone, it was lucky star that got stuck in me somehow. He said i could fall in mud, come up smelling like a rose and holding diamond ring. All of the worst things in my life has led me to better things that wouldn't have happened otherwise my abusive childhood taught me empathy and taught what kind if mom NOT to be. Hurricane Katrina took almost everything I had and yet brought me the love of my life (my late fiance). When he died, I miraculously found love with yet another firefighter (BayouBoy) in yet another hurricane. With BayouBoy I live in a beautiful place, love his family and have my "forever home" which can never be taken away from me because it is all paid off.
I really own so few possessions,
have little money,
no big amount of money in the bank,
live in a tiny (600Sq ft) house,
have a driveway that is not drivable when it rains because it turns into a half mile of mud to get stuck in,
have chronic pain, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, kidney stones,
have so many more issues that I cant even list
and yet I feel so thankful for the life that I have, the home I have and the loved ones in my life.

I am truly in awe of all of the blessings in my life.

BayouBoy once provoked some deep thoughts by saying "What if you woke up one day and all you had were the things you had thanked God for? What would YOU have?"

Gardenarian
10-3-12, 3:02pm
I am grateful for my dd's beautiful singing voice. I always wished I could sing well myself, and it is wonderful to have this little songbird in the house!

citrine
10-3-12, 3:17pm
I am so grateful for the fact that I am able to run now on the treadmill instead of just walk fast!
I am grateful that in 10 days I will be marrying the most amazing man.
I am grateful for our home, our cats, our health, and all of our friends.
I am grateful for our upcoming honeymoon.
I am grateful for life.

puglogic
10-3-12, 3:20pm
I'm thankful for a work schedule that lets me take a nap in the middle of the day (and make up the time somewhere else).

And I'm oddly grateful for the thoughts expressed here on this thread. I think, in this media-charged time of everyone criticizing one another, just reading these simple declarations of gratitude gives me a sense of great relief. Life can be good. People can be good.

puglogic
10-11-12, 1:18pm
I'm grateful today for my little truck, approaching 200,000 miles and still refuses to die.....or even to require a whole lot of maintenance at this point. If I could buy a brand-new one of her again (she's a 1995) I would do it in a heartbeat, as I fear the newer models just aren't built to hold up like this.

bke
10-11-12, 2:01pm
I'm grateful for a job that pays the bills every month. Last week I saw a man with a sign that read "will work for food" and today across the street from my home and business is a woman standing out in 35 degree, rainy weather with a sign saying her transmission is out and that she needs work to fix it.

I live in a small town where this kind of thing never happens-until now...

decemberlov
10-11-12, 2:04pm

good for you citrine!! How lovely :) Hope you and your new hubby have an amazing day!!

puglogic
10-13-12, 2:12pm
I am grateful for the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Finally.

Florence
10-13-12, 2:26pm
I am grateful for my husband. He is a rock of strength and integrity. I have been blessed to share this journey through life with him. Best decision I ever made was to marry him!

fidgiegirl
10-13-12, 2:30pm
BayouBoy once provoked some deep thoughts by saying "What if you woke up one day and all you had were the things you had thanked God for? What would YOU have?"

Very nice thought - and humbling.

fidgiegirl
10-13-12, 2:32pm
Grateful to live in an area where we can walk our dogs at night, park our cars on the street, and basically be in the world without having to constantly worry about who is ready to get us.

Grateful to have command of two languages, even though my Spanish is notably rustier than a few years ago! It still gets the job done!

Tussiemussies
10-13-12, 3:02pm
Always greatfull for my wonderful husband and precious dog. Grateful for the landlady who rented us this very nice house. Greatfull for my family. And last but not least I am grateful that I get to sleep in a very comfortable bed, with warm and cozy blankets and a nice soft pillow.

Tussiemussies
10-13-12, 3:03pm
I am so grateful for the fact that I am able to run now on the treadmill instead of just walk fast!
I am grateful for our home, our cats, our health, and all of our friends.
I am grateful for our upcoming honeymoon.
I am grateful for life.

Citrine, congratulations on your upcoming marriage and honeymoon...

fidgiegirl
10-15-12, 6:56pm
Grateful for my lovely walkable neighborhood and the beautiful weather we had today and the furry company to enjoy it with.

Grateful to have my evening time back after just one week of demands on it and grateful to have the means to have such reenergizing time available to me.

puglogic
10-15-12, 6:58pm
So grateful for my small community, which is hosting a sort of group mini-meditation tonight followed by a potluck, to try to help us all get back into a good place in this time of so much divisiveness. My life is so imperfect, but I appreciate all the good things I have.

SteveinMN
10-15-12, 10:54pm
Grateful to meet with friends and laugh at lunch, and grateful for the wonderful weather we enjoyed this afternoon!

puglogic
10-16-12, 3:33pm
Fantastic weather here too. Warm-autumn, with blue skies and flashing yellow leaves. My morning walks are like walking through a painting. I lived for quite a while where we didn't truly have autumn, and this is exactly what I missed so much, and am so thankfull for now.

puglogic
10-17-12, 3:14pm
Today, grateful for my body which, though a half-century old, still carries me around nicely.

Had a yoga class today with a woman who survived breast cancer and now is trying to deal with two bad knees; she has to really think before going down onto the mat, because she's never sure if she's going to be strong enough to get herself back up. She is only 3 years older than I am. Counting my blessings.

Gardenarian
10-17-12, 6:10pm
I am grateful for today.

Azure
10-17-12, 7:43pm
Grateful to have my youngest home from school for a few days. Well, I'd be more grateful if I ever actually got to see him lol

We stopped on the way home at his high school xc teams meet. It was wonderful to watch the kids run & catch up with the parents. Grateful for the many good years DS had with a fantastic coach & so many good kids.

puglogic
10-19-12, 12:03pm
Today I give thanks to the great Whatever for having the resources to stock up on food for the winter. Legumes, rices, flours, oats, and all the fruits/vegetables put up and bought in bulk (like my two cases of roasted tomatoes, which will last me a good long time). I am so thankful to have the financial resources to protect my family in this way. We may not have a lot in possessions, but we are wealthy in food and in love.

early morning
10-21-12, 5:07pm
I am sooo grateful that DH and I were able to sell my mother's car in the first 24 hours of sticking a sign on it, on day I was off work. DH is home all day and was balking at having to deal with calls, we are the only ones on a main road w/traffic to sell things quickly - and I was dreading hearing about all of it, from everyone. Now it is gone, and I am so glad!

puglogic
10-23-12, 4:30pm
Grateful for one more bright, warm, sunny day before the snow starts flying on Thursday.

fidgiegirl
10-24-12, 7:57pm
Happy we're getting a soft, steady rain. I think it could rain this way for a week and we might approach being where we should be with moisture! But grateful nonetheless!

Tussiemussies
10-25-12, 4:50am
Am so great full that we found a house that has almost everything we wanted in a nice neighborhood for a great price. Am so grateful to my husband who worked so hard to make this happen after we had a terrible financial downfall five years ago.

As always that I have a wonderful compassionate husband who really loves me, and our precious dog Nellie that I just adore.

Also very thankful for a man named David Furlong who helped me out of a life-threatening situation -- free of charge, when his help would have cost me thousands of dollars if I had to pay. He continues to periodically help me free of charge. What an amazing man he is. So kind and giving. I really didn't know him that well but he specialized in my problem and was so kind and caring to me. I am so thankful that he saved my life...:)

puglogic
10-28-12, 12:20am
Although we're not really the costume-and-party type, grateful for the friend who decided to have a costume Halloween party this year, so we could be silly, connect with neighbors and friends, and enjoy good company, a crackling fire, and a nice glass of wine together. It's the small things that give life its joy.

Tussiemussies
10-28-12, 1:10am
Grateful that my Mom and Dad are still alive. Time goes by so quickly...

My Mom still works three days a week as a legal assistant so we used her office as the office for the closing of our house and the lawyer gave us $200.00 off of his fee.

Since she worked on our file it was nice.:)

puglogic
10-28-12, 10:28pm
Appreciating my collection of super-warm socks and various & sundry warm slippers as we head into winter. I'd forgotten I had some of them, but going outside with a puppy at 3:00am I'm finding myself so grateful to have them!

fidgiegirl
10-28-12, 10:30pm
A puppy?! What did I miss?!

Or is this like how I call my 12 y/o lab mix "puppy?" LOL

puglogic
10-29-12, 3:58pm
A puppy?! What did I miss?!

Or is this like how I call my 12 y/o lab mix "puppy?" LOL

LOL Kelli! This is my standing date at 3:00am. Well, last night he made it to 4:00am, and we'll work our way forward from there as he is better able to sleep through the night: http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?6259-Newest-addition-to-the-family

Thankful that I'm not yet too old to appreciate all the little things about a tiny new life like that. The energy, the curiosity, the way he falls asleep sitting up, the way he mercilessly pesters our bigger dogs, even though he's really small. I think, probably, 15 years from now I won't have the energy to keep up and it will seem like a chore. So for now, enjoying the interaction, if not the creative sleep schedule :D

fidgiegirl
10-29-12, 4:18pm
argh!! I could eat him up!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful little guy.