PDA

View Full Version : Cool video about Peter Lawrence, the minimalist

catherine
10-2-12, 12:08pm
Just watched this video (http://www.treehugger.com/culture/simple-living-expert-takes-happy-minimalism-extreme.html) about Peter Lawrence, the author of The Happy Minimalist.

So cool. I think if I had his place (and I certainly envy his minimalism) the only thing I would do is cover walls with fabric or hang velvet curtains just to eliminate the echo. But everything else about how he lives is very compelling.

kitten
10-2-12, 12:52pm
The guy is crazy cool! There's no way I could do what he does - but just knowing there is someone like him in the world does the heart good somehow ;)

pony mom
10-2-12, 3:59pm
I'd hate to live in the apartment below him. His cartwheels would make me want him evicted! (I can hear my upstairs neighbors vacuuming right now!!)

It's a great view, but why does he need something so big? It seems very calm and serene, but a bit too empty for me. He seems happy though.

catherine
10-2-12, 4:39pm
I'd hate to live in the apartment below him. His cartwheels would make me want him evicted! (I can hear my upstairs neighbors vacuuming right now!!)

It's a great view, but why does he need something so big? It seems very calm and serene, but a bit too empty for me. He seems happy though.

True that he could just as well live in a tiny house or studio apartment, but maybe he likes having the space in lieu of stuff (how else could he do his cartwheels?). To each his own, but I do think he's an inspiration for living with as little baggage as possible.

Zoebird
10-16-12, 1:46am
Beautiful.

I have been thinking about this sort of thing *a lot*, and I'm usually talking to DH about it all. He's not quite as a spartan as I am. LOL

I could do all of this with the exception of the bed here. If I had better insulation (real insulation as in most US homes), then I could definitely manage floor sleeping. But, here, the air under the bed actually makes your bed warmer, so you don't freeze in winter. :) And it's not even that cold in winter here.

I'm looking forward to streamlining DS's stuff again (it's definitely that time of year for both clothes and toys), as well has having DH and I go through our things.

Though, DH and I wonder if we should have just rented a furnished apartment anyway. LOL

happystuff
10-12-19, 5:57pm
I see that this thread is 7 years old, but -- Wow! What a great video! I love the saying "Omnia mea mecum porto" - "All that is mine I carry with me."