PDA

View Full Version : Domestic (household) pet peeves!

Mrs-M
2-5-11, 2:26pm
Got any pet peeves related to home-front domesticities? Do share if you do.

Mrs-M's pet peeve of the day (today), finding a freshly washed fork (in my flatware drawer) with glued on/stuck on cheese between the tines! Hate, hate, hate that!

loosechickens
2-5-11, 3:27pm
ha.....I thought you meant peeves about pets.....so I was going to say, people who don't train their dogs not to jump on you......

peggy
2-5-11, 3:36pm
I just tried to put a modern mattress and box spring into an old iron bed frame. Finally figured out how to make it fit (had to stack slats) but now the top of the mattress is almost even with my boobs! Both mattress and box spring are thick! What to do.. what to do!

Alan
2-5-11, 3:48pm
I just tried to put a modern mattress and box spring into an old iron bed frame. Finally figured out how to make it fit (had to stack slats) but now the top of the mattress is almost even with my boobs! Both mattress and box spring are thick! What to do.. what to do!

Heels and a wonderbra? :|(

Hattie
2-5-11, 5:06pm

ROTFL!! :laff:

peggy
2-5-11, 5:38pm

ha ha :laff::laff:

janharker
2-5-11, 7:45pm
You may find that the box spring is not needed, due to the way modern mattresses are made these days (hard on the bottom). And if that's the case, then your salesperson ripped you off. We bought a new mattress last year and ours sits just fine on the slats.

janharker
2-5-11, 7:45pm
Peeve: putting the clothes in the dryer, only to come back later to discover that the door had popped open and nothing was dry.

iris lily
2-5-11, 9:48pm
this is mine: the staircase from h*ll. I've lived with it for 20 years. It was newly built when we started renovating this house 20 years ago and was intended to be temporary, just a construction staircase to be finished later. It has no railing. It has open risers. That dirty pink stuff you see is 20 years of dirt and dust and cat hair on top of pink insulation. It's right there in the open in the living/dining room, everyone can see it when they walk in the house (we don't have a huge house)

I WIN! I have the most miserable domestic pet peeve!!!!!! Mrs. M, this dwarfs your food covered fork in the misery category!!!

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/kprp/Jan2011renovation005.jpg

2/7/2011 edited to add: sorry, I erased this photo when I was organizing Photobucket images. If you didn't see it, just take my word for it--it's UGLY!

Wildflower
2-6-11, 5:21am
this is mine: the staircase from h*ll. I've lived with it for 20 years. It was newly built when we started renovating this house 20 years ago and was intended to be temporary, just a construction staircase to be finished later. It has no railing. It has open risers. That dirty pink stuff you see is 20 years of dirt and dust and cat hair on top of pink insulation. It's right there in the open in the living/dining room, everyone can see it when they walk in the house (we don't have a huge house)

I WIN! I have the most miserable domestic pet peeve!!!!!! Mrs. M, this dwarfs your food covered fork in the misery category!!!

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/kprp/Jan2011renovation005.jpg

No offense, Iris Lily, but what is stopping you from doing something about it? ;) Safety issues would be my first concern - you might take a tumble one of these days.... :(

Float On
2-6-11, 8:29am
Yes Iris, I'm thinking 20 years of that and you are redoing your kitchen? I have construction stairs, hidden by kitchen and living room walls but the builder at least put wood on the back of the steps. I was able to paint them a bit funky and now they are a fun feature and really don't need to be redone.

I think my pet peeve is opening the kitchen cabinet and not finding a glass or coffee mug. I just can't get the male gender in this household to understand the concept of one water glass for the day.

peggy
2-6-11, 10:32am
You may find that the box spring is not needed, due to the way modern mattresses are made these days (hard on the bottom). And if that's the case, then your salesperson ripped you off. We bought a new mattress last year and ours sits just fine on the slats.

This is what I'm thinking. The mattress is very thick, but not hard on the bottom. I think either a very skinny box spring, which will still make this a high bed but not ridiculous, or even just a sheet of ply wood, painted the same color as the bed, set on the slats, with the mattress on that. I think I like the second solution best.

Bootsie
2-6-11, 10:41am
My pet peeve is when my lovely family members leave a glass on a wooden table.

iris lily
2-6-11, 12:38pm
Welcome to my world of dysfunction. The meme in our house is:

Only the uber handyman who lives here is qualified to fix stuff in our house

He does not fix it
Ergo, nothing gets fixed.

I am only bringing this up now because (shush! be very quiet, someone might hear and jinx this miracle) he is actually constructing a new staircase as we speak. This is because my mother died and left me a little money. From the very beginning I spoke of this as "my" money so as to set the stage for "hiring work done in our house." Once that concept was set out we were able to discuss what actually needed to be done and DH agreed to do much of it within a timeframe of one year, and I am "paying" DH for some of his time, but not all of it. And in just a few weeks he's made great progress. The mom money is why I was able to pay someone to come in and paint kitchen cabinets and even though that work is not being done to DH's satisfaction, it is being DONE!

One year from now I want to have a "normal" 1st floor. There isn't enough money in the world to combat the dysfunction of our 2nd floor. I won't even describe what that is about, tra la tra la I am good at ignoring problems.

I have one friend in this neighborhood who is in the same sitich--husband who has all of the knowledge and tools but doesn't complete the house. They started renovating their dining room for Thanksgiving 2009, but did not finish until Thanksgiving 2010.

Mrs-M
2-6-11, 2:07pm
Good morning everybody! Super great entries. :)

LC. I second the dog jumping up on people issue. For that one reason I avoid reaching out to pet peoples furry friends unless I know they are trained well.

Peggy. ROTFLMAO! I'm thinking one of those little step ladders may help. :) But yes, I do know what you are saying, my mom and dad have a large bed (extended mattress height) and it's ridiculously tall.

Alan. I have to say you were thinking "outside" the box! :)

Janharker. Or, closing the dryer drawer and forgetting to turn the dial on. I've done that sooo many times! And at the most inopportune of times, like when I was counting on a load of diapers for the babies.

Iris Lily. Indeed you win! ROTFLMAO! Your patience/tolerance level far exceeds what mine will ever be... :)

Originally posted by Float On.
I think my pet peeve is opening the kitchen cabinet and not finding a glass or coffee mug. I just can't get the male gender in this household to understand the concept of one water glass for the day. Ah-ha! You too huh! (We have to get together and talk). :laff:

Bootsie. I envy you and totally agree. I cherish the thought of one day owning a few high-end pieces of furniture that I'm proud to polish and admire.

Iris. Sending extra good thoughts of luck your way in hopes you see your dream realized. :)

iris lily
2-6-11, 2:16pm
and p.s. more on the staircase from h*ll: DH yesterday covered the lower risers so that our cats will no longer be able to get down there and get stuck. That happened last year to our sick cat, she was too weak to get out, so DH had to pry off treads to go down there and get her.

I'm sure that I will find other advantages to having a "finished" staircase, ha ha. Wildflowers' concern about safety has always been an issue, that's the main reason why I hate for our dogs to go upstairs. They are such ungainly creatures, I'm always afraid that they will fall over the stairwell.

Mrs-M
2-6-11, 3:15pm
Once the staircase is finished Iris how do you plan on finishing it for presentation? A nice carpet runner? Natural finished/sealed wood?

iris lily
2-6-11, 3:37pm
thanks for asking mrs m, the oak treads will be stained and varnished, no carpet. Eventually I want to eradicate all traces of carpet in this house.

I remember reading a cleaning book by Don Aslett some years ago and he said that stairs with a combo of hard surface and carpet are the worst to clean becuase htey've got multiple surfaces that needs a tool for each.

Mrs-M
2-6-11, 3:54pm
Originally posted by Iris Lily.
the oak treads will be stained and varnished, no carpet.My favourite! So elegant and refined and clean looking. I too want to eliminate all traces of carpeting in our home. Lately when I look at it I think, "it ages everything so bad". "Looks so out of place". So dirty too.

daisy
2-6-11, 10:59pm
Ms. Lily, do I see a KitchenAid mixer being abused in the background of your photo? I might have to report you to the baking authorities! ;)

My pet peeve: we are currently living in our "temporary" 600 sq ft garage apartment while we build our forever home. We've been in this "temporary" apartment for 4.5 years now and we haven't even leveled the building site. We lived in our last house for 12 years and only finished it a few weeks before we moved. Since we've been married, I have never lived in a completed house. I would like to try that!

iris lily
2-7-11, 10:24am
Ms. Lily, do I see a KitchenAid mixer being abused in the background of your photo? I might have to report you to the baking authorities! ;)

My pet peeve: we are currently living in our "temporary" 600 sq ft garage apartment while we build our forever home. We've been in this "temporary" apartment for 4.5 years now and we haven't even leveled the building site. We lived in our last house for 12 years and only finished it a few weeks before we moved. Since we've been married, I have never lived in a completed house. I would like to try that!

1) the Kitchen Aid machine: yep, we've got one sitting on a table in the living room. It is being well tended, don't worry. Normally it sits on a ktichen counter but has temporarily been moved due to painting work in the kitchen.

2) I really don't know why you think that you should live in houses that are finished when I am not able to do that. Sister, when you've been in those temp quarters a full 20+ years then we can talk!:laff: ('though it is true, you are coming up on that number soon!)

JaneV2.0
2-7-11, 1:42pm
My domestic pet peeve is not having staff. Housework annoys the hell out of me.

Kathy WI
2-7-11, 1:46pm
I hate that in our sexist society, the state of the house reflects on the housekeeping abilities of the woman of the house, even if it's the guys who are messing up the place. I also hate cobwebs.

Kat
2-7-11, 4:57pm
I hate that in our sexist society, the state of the house reflects on the housekeeping abilities of the woman of the house, even if it's the guys who are messing up the place.

+1

I also dislike doing anything to the floors--vacuuming, moping, sweeping. Hate it all. Also find it annoying that I always have a zillion loads of laundry to do in the winter because sweaters and sweathshirts take up so much room in the washing machine.

mira
2-7-11, 5:07pm
I hate that in our sexist society, the state of the house reflects on the housekeeping abilities of the woman of the house, even if it's the guys who are messing up the place. I also hate cobwebs.
I always thought the 'housework-savvy' divide between men and women was just a huge cliche and stereotype... until I moved in with my boyfriend, haha! Wet towels balled up on the floor and lack of crumb-prevention while eating are NOT OK!

Ahem. My housework pet peeve for my current home is that all dust, crumbs and anything dinky gets lodged deep between the floorboards in the kitchen and bedroom. Not practical and pretty gross.

JaneV2.0
2-7-11, 8:50pm
On the other hand, my beloved is a tidy minimalist. Living with me would probably be his worst nightmare, though we fantasize about a duplex. I twitted (not tweeted) him the other day that if we had a duplex, he'd never have to worry about running out of obscure ingredients, because whatever it is, I have it.

daisy
2-7-11, 9:25pm
Originally posted by Iris lily
2) I really don't know why you think that you should live in houses that are finished when I am not able to do that. Sister, when you've been in those temp quarters a full 20+ years then we can talk! ('though it is true, you are coming up on that number soon!)

:laff: True, I haven't hit 20 years yet, but I can easily see it happening! I may have to follow in my sister's footsteps. She ended up buying the house next door and moving into it. Her husband is free to live in his temporary house and her house is all done!

Mrs-M
2-8-11, 10:23am
JaneV2.0. I have a sort of bitter sweet relationship with housework. I can't relax until things are done, adding that while I'm busy doing household chores and duties- I'm good with it, then the bitter sweet comes. After I've accomplished the tasks I love the feeling of knowing how clean and nice everything looks, but it never lasts long enough.

Kathy WI. Bingo! I could not have said it better. Sometimes I get frustrated and even a little angry over always feeling like I'm everyone's slave.

Kat. Now see, I'm just the opposite. Anything to do with floors- i.e. washing/scrubbing, I love! Now if I could only learn to love all the other domestic related home things...

Mira. I am so glad reality set in for you. :) (Reality as in seeing through the domestic partnership smokescreen). There's no cliche or stereotype about it. :laff:

Jemima
2-8-11, 12:14pm
First and foremost, I'd like to strangle the idiot who put the hot water heater all the way in the back of my one storey house so that it takes several minutes to get hot water in the kitchen, which is in the front. Second runner-up is the pure white kitchen floor with a pebbled texture that has to be scrubbed inch by inch on my hands and knees to get it really clean. Third is raking the wall-to-wall for cat hair and then vacuuming afterward, both of which are necessary to get the carpet looking clean.

BTW, I'm the second owner of this house and didn't choose the location of the hot water heater or the kitchen flooring. The carpeting had to be replaced because the original owner spilled something that looked like grape Kool Aid on it, and I couldn't find any dirt-hiding shag like I had in an apartment some years ago. I have days when I'm tempted to tear out all the carpeting and paint the plywood underneath.

pcooley
2-8-11, 1:51pm
I assumed you meant household pets as well. My pet peeve there is the dogs -- we're not sure which one or if it's more than one -- urinate and defecate in the house on some winter nights, (only very rarely, so we're not faced with a serious training regime where we kennel the dogs, and we don't really have room for kennels anyway). They usually have access to a dog door during warm weather, but we close off that room in the winter because it is on separate, baseboard heat. When I get up in the morning, I occasionally step right into you-know-what. Not a good way to start the day and definitely a pet pet peeve.

Mrs-M
2-9-11, 9:25am
Jemima. Reading your post makes me wish I could purge our home of all signs of carpeting as we speak. Carpeting (for the past few years now) has been a major pet peeve of mine. I'd take painted floors over carpeting any day! :)

Pcooley. Your and Jemima's (pet) pet peeve posts remind me as to why I don't want a pet, at least for now. I'm just not able to look past all the hair and stuff. >8)

KayLR
2-9-11, 1:45pm
My Darling Mate-- when he brings home something from the store, the empty bag remains on the counter. When he opens a new jug of milk, the plastic ring remains on the counter. When he uses a knife to butter/jelly his toast, the knife remains on the counter, as do the crumbs. When he uses the last of anything in a container or wrapper or bag, that remains on the counter. When he opens mail, empty envelopes remain on the table. Using the last of the milk, the jug remains on the counter, as does the glass he drank from, unrinsed. You get the picture?

kib
2-9-11, 10:50pm
Get the picture? I snapped it. Any surfaces I don't continually straighten, like the desktop or dresser, need excavating after a few weeks. My pet peeve is probably ... well, just my pets. Why can't they make an adoring and cuddly pet that doesn't shed, puke or poop on the floor? I'm tempted to pop them into knit bags with just their eyes and noses poking out.

Wildflower
2-9-11, 11:33pm
I assumed you meant household pets as well. My pet peeve there is the dogs -- we're not sure which one or if it's more than one -- urinate and defecate in the house on some winter nights, (only very rarely, so we're not faced with a serious training regime where we kennel the dogs, and we don't really have room for kennels anyway). They usually have access to a dog door during warm weather, but we close off that room in the winter because it is on separate, baseboard heat. When I get up in the morning, I occasionally step right into you-know-what. Not a good way to start the day and definitely a pet pet peeve.

If you are going to deny your dogs access to the doggie door part of the year, then you need to provide them with another option, like a piddle pad by said closed off room might work.... Dogs are creatures of habit and if they have been trained to go outside and eliminate via doggie door, but then that is denied, then of course there may be accidents. I understand why you are denying them access during the cold weather, but it is totally confusing for them.... One of my dogs can't make it through the entire night so I just make sure to let him out once during the night and all is well - we don't have a doggie door.

Wildflower
2-9-11, 11:53pm
My pet peeve is picking up after people (DH) that are perfectly capable of picking up after themselves - but if I don't do it the house soon starts to look disorganized and messy, which drives me crazy. I like everything in its place!! And clean!! >:( Yes, I am a little anal to say the least. :devil: LOL

Now I don't mind cleaning up after our cats and dogs. They are sweet and innocent lttle creatures who mean no harm. They give us love and companionship every minute of the day, and they don't talk back. :D But I will say that as they pass on we don't intend to take on more - although, I always want at least one dog or cat in my life as I age, just not multiple pets like we have now. They do bring me such happiness.... Mrs-M, you might want a pet when your kids are grown and gone. :) They are very helpful in coping with the "empty nest syndrome", at least for me it has been helpful...

Mrs-M
2-10-11, 7:55am
KayLRZ. Oh yes, I get the picture! :laff: In our house "like father- like son(s)" seems to play out daily regarding specific rituals and habits pertaining to responsibility of ones actions.

Originally posted by Kib.
Why can't they make an adoring and cuddly pet that doesn't shed, puke or poop on the floor?
Ya, ya, ya, ya, ya!!! I want one of those! :laff: Minus the hair and poop and puke, I'd acquire a house-full!

Wildflower. It's good to be anal! LMAO! I know cause I'm anal too!!! :laff: Your idea of owning a furry best friend after the kids depart has been something that DH and I have discussed many times. I totally see it happening. :)

pony mom
2-11-11, 10:43pm
It seems that a certain person here has a problem with throwing out packaging. You grab something to eat, there are only 3 cookies in the bag, 4 crackers in the sleeve, a handful of potato chips, a half inch of milk, etc. I know they can easily finish what's left before putting it back.

My coworkers drive me crazy in our breakroom. They have a cup of water and leave the empty cup on the table (garbage is 3 feet away). Eat a meal, leave dirty container/empty cartons on the table we all share. Excuse me....your mother isn't here to clean up after you! Spill something in the fridge? Clean it up! That 2 week old Chinese takeout you forgot about is ready to walk out on its own--throw it away!! I really don't like sharing spaces with other people.

Hattie
2-11-11, 11:03pm
Cottonwood stickies. I hate them!!! The dog brings them in on her feet, hubby brings them in on his shoes, guests bring them in. YUK! And the only way to remove them is to get on hands and knees with a Magic Eraser and scrub. Those things stick like glue and leave a lovely yellow stain..hate 'em! They usually start near the end of April and go for 2 - 3 weeks. If I had my way, I'd cut down the cottonwood tree. *grin*

iris lily
2-12-11, 1:25am
Jemima. Reading your post makes me wish I could purge our home of all signs of carpeting as we speak. Carpeting (for the past few years now) has been a major pet peeve of mine. I'd take painted floors over carpeting any day! :)

Pcooley. Your and Jemima's (pet) pet peeve posts remind me as to why I don't want a pet, at least for now. I'm just not able to look past all the hair and stuff. >8)

I've lived with plywood floors and agree that I prefer them to carpet. We've got pets and our carpets are pretty awfu. Dh did manage to find a cleaner that works fairly well and they are less totally disgusting thatn they used to be, but still, their days here are numbered. But finiwhed the basement and first floo come first.

Mrs-M
2-12-11, 3:40pm
Pony mom. Your home is my home! ROTFLMAO! The boys (husband included) are the worst for putting back a package of something with one or two morsels left in it. It's like, how hard is it to take the one or two leftover cookies or treats (or whatever) in the package, grab a Rubbermaid or Tupperware container from the cupboard, seal up the treats, and deposit the package (packaging) in the recycling bin! Drives me batty! :)

Hattie. I hear you on the "pitch" stickies! No Cottonwood trees in our yard, but I have fond memories of camping and outings where the kids would get into pitch somewhere or another and ugh, can't remove it or wash it off no how!

Iris. My husband has been hard at it (basement renovations) and sometimes I feel as though the work will never be completed. (I want my new laundry room SOOO bad)! :) On the up side of things, the good thing about taking added time in the designing and building of such projects, is that the final outcome usually reflects determined effort, proper planning, and pride and quality. That I can live with. :)

Life_is_Simple
2-12-11, 3:53pm
Mrs M - I smile when I see the different threads you have started in the Open forum, and the way you keep the discussions going.

You might want to look into your next career as a Talk Show Host :+1: You can take over Oprah's slot.

Mrs-M
2-12-11, 4:07pm
Life_is_Simple. You are such a sweetheart! Thank you so much! :) What a nice compliment. (You just made my day)!!! :cool: