PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Dealing with Edema?

ejchase
2-5-11, 4:13pm
Hi All,

Although I had some complications in the first trimester, by and large, my pregnancy has been pretty easy - until the last couple of weeks (I'm at 35 weeks now) when my ankles and calves have swollen up. I've been checked for preeclampsia, so I know it's nothing to worry about health-wise, but suddenly walking has become SO uncomfortable, and I do a lot of walking in my day.

Has anyboy dealt with this in the past and found a way to make it less uncomfortable? I hate to be a whiny pregnant person - I've been so lucky up till now! - but it's gotten to the point I don't want to do anything because every step hurts!

Thanks in advance for your help,
Elizabeth

loosechickens
2-6-11, 2:48am
I've heard that reducing salt a lot helps, as does elevating your feet and legs when you sit or lie down......hang in there, you don't have long to go!!!!

Wildflower
2-6-11, 4:12am
What LC said and drinking alot of water is helpful. Your misery will soon be over. I remember having to buy a size larger shoes in my last trimester due to my swollen feet. Pregnancy is not for sissies. LOL

Tammy
2-6-11, 11:19am
you could put on TED hose before you get out of bed in the morning, and leave them on all day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_stockings

Midwife
2-6-11, 3:02pm
Hi All,

Although I had some complications in the first trimester, by and large, my pregnancy has been pretty easy - until the last couple of weeks (I'm at 35 weeks now) when my ankles and calves have swollen up. I've been checked for preeclampsia, so I know it's nothing to worry about health-wise, but suddenly walking has become SO uncomfortable, and I do a lot of walking in my day.

Has anyboy dealt with this in the past and found a way to make it less uncomfortable? I hate to be a whiny pregnant person - I've been so lucky up till now! - but it's gotten to the point I don't want to do anything because every step hurts!

Thanks in advance for your help,
Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth, this is what I recommend to my mamas:
http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/ifyouarepregnant/
You should salt your food to taste, using a mineral rich sea salt, or Himalayan pink salt, as they both contain minerals, and are not refined, make sure you are getting plenty of healthy protein, eggs are the best source. Take calcium and magnesium such as liquid cal mag 2:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium up until your due date. Drink lots, and remember that part of the issue is just simply the weight of the baby inhibiting the return blood flow, and drainage of lymph fluid from the lower extremities. Exercise and walking help with this also. Rest as much as possible :) Good luck, and happy birthing sooon!