PDA

View Full Version : Environmentalism: a satanic cult

screamingflea
1-1-11, 2:50am
That's right! Apparently we're part of a large insidious conspiracy to brainwash children, take over governments, and choke out the Third World. Apparently, because we hate Jesus.

Remember, friends: If you don't think environmentalists are in a Satanic cult seeking to undermine (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-shore/environmentalism-satans-c_b_802386.html?ref=fb&src=sp) everything that good Americans hold dear, then you're just not thinking at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to1naH2A7GU&feature=player_embedded

(I thought I'd add something snarky and satirical here, but I think the video says it all. :0 )

Wildflower
1-1-11, 5:28am
Wow, just Wow - that is unbelievable!! :-0

peggy
1-1-11, 11:44am
So, these people believe in an invisible being that grants you wishes if you are good (like Santa Claus) but will condemn you to eternal fire and suffering if you don't bow down before him/her and worship this invisible being (very NOT like Santa Claus) ...and environmentalist are the ones who are deluded? Really?
Excuse me while I go sacrifice a goat...

kib
1-1-11, 12:14pm
Oh this is like hearing Rush's voice as I'm skimming radio channels - it's probably bad for me to even let the dial stop here. New Year's resolution of mine:

Oh the Idiots abound, it's Frightful,
but our Calm is just Delightful,
so although sometimes fools shall blow,
Let it go, let it go, let it go.

Seriously, debate is about rational argument on both sides of an issue. It's pointless to argue with people who seemingly have no interest in logic or common sense, why try?

NancyAnne
1-1-11, 1:22pm
The video angered me at first because I completely disagree with the her views. However, we do live in a country where people have the freedom to express their opinion. She can follow her own path and I'll continue to follow mine.

freein05
1-1-11, 1:55pm
Yes we should chose Exxon, BP to be the stewards of our earth. Christ and these churches must believe in the God of Oil. What a bunch of idiots.

screamingflea
1-1-11, 2:19pm
To be fair, I haven't actually seen the series (*snort*) but I find it interesting that they jump to the conclusion that environmentalists are trying to reduce the quality of life in 3rd world countries. What about digging borehole wells? What about distributing solar ovens and stoves to deforested areas? Giving out bicycles to remote villages?

That, and I remember Pat Robertson appearing with Al Sharpton on a TV spot making the point that global warming is a matter of responsible stewardship, not partisanship. Of course the producers are free to believe what they want and to distribute it. But I think it's really irresponsible to to promote "screw the earth," even as an abstract question of theology.

Zigzagman
1-1-11, 3:16pm
As a atheist I still find it hard to understand or believe that most Christian religious leaders think this way? The only problem I see are those devout Christians that are just looking for a reason to be against something. Of all things why would enviromentalism be considered a threat to religion? There has got to be more to the story. The only thing that comes to mind is possibly using this as just another "wedge issue" by the right to capture the votes of religious extremists.

I am beginning to believe that of all our problems that we will face in this century, the environment might be the largest impact for us. That is pretty scary when you see so many people discount it as either politically motivated or anti-religion.

God help us all!!

Peace

earthshepherd
1-1-11, 9:58pm
As a atheist I still find it hard to understand or believe that most Christian religious leaders think this way?

well, if it is any consolation to you, as a Christian religious leader (an ordained Presbyterian minister), I find this attitude against the earth very hard to understand, and very offensive. If someone believes that God made the earth, wouldn't it follow that the earth is to be cherished and cared for? Seems to me like a slap in God's face not to care for the earth. So here's at least one Christian religious leader who thinks (and lives) differently.

Hence my new user name! :)

Crystal
1-1-11, 10:01pm
well, if it is any consolation to you, as a Christian religious leader (an ordained Presbyterian minister), I find this attitude against the earth very hard to understand, and very offensive. If someone believes that God made the earth, wouldn't it follow that the earth is to be cherished and cared for? Seems to me like a slap in God's face not to care for the earth. So here's at least one Christian religious leader who thinks (and lives) differently.

Hence my new user name! :)

Where is that "Like" button? Oh. Wait. It's not facebook. :D

kib
1-1-11, 10:14pm
Birth of a new smilie:

:+1:

Edited to add: the smilie was in response to Crystal's question about the "like" button - I'm definitely NOT giving the youtube a thumbs up!!!

Greg44
1-2-11, 4:42pm
Wow, that is just a bit over the top! I think anything in our lives that taken to the extreme and as a Christian, away from Christ is not a good thing. Enviromentialism is good! We are respecting this earth that was given to us.

My boss once said (I am the recycle Nazi at work) "we don't recycle, we are republicans" Now I know he was joking when he said that, but that is the preception that is out there.

I am thankful for the beauty around me and by me doing my part - as little as it is - I believe shows respect for the God who created us.

Zigzagman
1-2-11, 7:02pm
My boss once said (I am the recycle Nazi at work) "we don't recycle, we are republicans" I love that Greg. :D It sounds cute but they actually mean it:confused:

Green technology is our only hope. We cannot continue to destroy our environment and expect a good outcome.

I think we have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to capture and develop the "green" movement and bring back some sort of manufacturing to the US. If we wait too long, I fear that we will lose the advantage. The emerging markets are already geared up for manufacturing capacity and eager to continue their economic rise.

Reject the continuation of carbon-based fuels - our dependence should be limited at best. We have a large enough economy that we could control our own destiny. :D

Wake up everybody
no more sleeping in bed
No more backward thinking,
time for thinking ahead

The world has changed
So very much
From what is used to be
There is so much hatred
War and Poverty

John Legend and the Roots

Peace

Float On
1-12-11, 11:46am
I "Like" earthshepher's statement too!!!
I am another believer who believes we are entrusted to care for the earth.

Kestrel
1-12-11, 12:40pm
I'm aghast. But they cloak their disdain for environmentalism in concern for the poor -- people dying of hunger, diseases, poverty, because of environmentalism. She says they're "for" wise stewardship of the Earth that god gave us (and who can argue with that?) ... I guess it's your definition of "wise stewardship" that's the issue. Somehow, environmentalism would "prevent" Christ coming back? I'm remembering James Watt, Sec of Interior under Reagan ...

winterberry
1-13-11, 2:41pm
Here is something to make people feel a little bit better:

www.creationcare.org (http://www.creationcare.org)

Years ago a friend of mine became angry with me for believing in global warming. She really felt threatened at some deep emotional level. l was dumbfounded and have been trying to understand this mindset ever since. I'm no closer to understanding it now than I was then.

peggy
1-14-11, 3:03pm
I love that Greg. :D It sounds cute but they actually mean it:confused:

Green technology is our only hope. We cannot continue to destroy our environment and expect a good outcome.

I think we have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to capture and develop the "green" movement and bring back some sort of manufacturing to the US. If we wait too long, I fear that we will lose the advantage. The emerging markets are already geared up for manufacturing capacity and eager to continue their economic rise.

Reject the continuation of carbon-based fuels - our dependence should be limited at best. We have a large enough economy that we could control our own destiny. :D

Wake up everybody
no more sleeping in bed
No more backward thinking,
time for thinking ahead

The world has changed
So very much
From what is used to be
There is so much hatred
War and Poverty

John Legend and the Roots

Peace

You are so right! We could be the world leaders in this. The world is moving away from fossel fuels. There really isn't any question about this. It's just dumb of us to not jump on this right away!

Jemima
1-17-11, 10:22am
As a atheist I still find it hard to understand or believe that most Christian religious leaders think this way? <snip>

I am beginning to believe that of all our problems that we will face in this century, the environment might be the largest impact for us. That is pretty scary when you see so many people discount it as either politically motivated or anti-religion.

God help us all!!

Peace

Correction, please!!! *MOST* Christian religious leaders do not think or believe this way. I can't even imagine my Baptist pastor saying anything like this. That video was the lunatic fringe speaking. You will notice that they cited no facts at all.

I am also Christian and I feel it's my responsibility to the God who made this beautiful earth to keep it as pristine as I am able. I recycle. I compost. I'm trying to restore the soil around my house to its natural state despite landfill and a former Yard Guy who insisted on using Weed & Feed every spring even though I instructed him to not do so. (I fired him last year.) I take my used-but-still-good things to Goodwill or Salvation Army and I'm minimizing buying new stuff. I signed up for an electric co-op that offers generation based on 100% renewable energy sources and ditched the mainstream company, Philadelphia Electric.

I think the people in the video are terribly confused, if not outright insane, as if any kind of respect for the earth and its creatures means worship of the creation instead of the Creator.

They never did offer any explanation of why environmentalism deprives the poor. I live in Pennsylvania and green industry has brought many new factory jobs to our Commonwealth. There is no rationality whatever displayed in this video.

Zigzagman
1-17-11, 11:15am
It's very refreshing to see more and more people standing up for their principles regarding the environment, especially with regard to religion. As soon as that translates to policy then we can start the healing. Considering our economic problems I doubt that it will happen any time soon. Now is the perfect time to adjust our priorities. The power of the pulpit is HUGE - it most aspects of our lives. I think this statement by Rabbi Saul Berman speaks to the issue, "The challenge ahead is the common challenge of science and religion together, to discover and implement the means of assuring the physical survival of humanity on Earth, to discover and implement the means of assuring the spiritual survival of a more humble and more modest humanity on this, God's earth."

BTW - I don't believe there is a huge push of anti-environmentalism by religion. I think it is pretty much just being ignored altogether as it is by most people.

Peace

puglogic
1-23-11, 10:46am
....and part of my new 2011 credo (for myself), Don't b*tch, do something:

http://earthministry.org/

If you are part of a church that would be open to these programs, there are lots of resources here. Imho, only through enlightenment and education can we move people like the YouTube idiot into the "pitiful, backwards extremist" category where they belong in the public view.

HKPassey
5-2-11, 2:52pm
I kept being distracted by the use of Bleeding Cowboys as the title font. ;) Who cares about the talking heads, when you can look at the cool titles? lol.

catherine
5-2-11, 4:48pm
Huh, I was just watching Zeffirelli's Brother Son, Sister Moon, about St. Francis. Seems to me he was a Christian, and an environmentalist. And he helped feed poor people, too! Hmm, no contradiction there.

HKPassey
5-2-11, 6:36pm
This is just a slick repackaging of the same stuff they were sending around on those tawdry mimeographed chain letters in the 1980s. My mother - a premium conspiracy nut who waved religion like a flag but never really understood it - was huge on this. I sometimes got the impression that having rivers catch on fire made them feel more comfortable somehow...

gimmethesimplelife
5-3-11, 1:05am
Oh this is like hearing Rush's voice as I'm skimming radio channels - it's probably bad for me to even let the dial stop here. New Year's resolution of mine:

Oh the Idiots abound, it's Frightful,
but our Calm is just Delightful,
so although sometimes fools shall blow,
Let it go, let it go, let it go.

Seriously, debate is about rational argument on both sides of an issue. It's pointless to argue with people who seemingly have no interest in logic or common sense, why try?A. I couldn't agree more with your last sentence KIB, and ROTFLMAO on your jingle, I love it! Will have to remember that jingle when I deal with people for whom it fits.....LOL again, Rob

creaker
5-3-11, 8:24am
http://www.cornwallalliance.org/ produced the video. Ironically their home page has a little montage of pristine vistas that would make environmentalists smile.

Apparently they blame environmentalism for leading youth away from the church. Now I know.

frugalbikeboy
12-8-11, 11:49am
Egads! That is the most ridiculous video ever!

Sad Eyed Lady
12-8-11, 6:55pm
It just goes to show that it is a seriously wrong assumption to lump everyone together i.e. environmentalists are all seducing our children with left wing liberal views; Christians have no care of what happens to the earth - wrong on both accounts. I try to reduce, reuse and recycle all that I can. I grow my plants as organically as possible. I am careful of how I treat others, animals and the earth. I am a Christian. These are not contradictory statements!

Greg44
12-8-11, 7:10pm
It just goes to show that it is a seriously wrong assumption to lump everyone together i.e. environmentalists are all seducing our children with left wing liberal views; Christians have no care of what happens to the earth - wrong on both accounts. I try to reduce, reuse and recycle all that I can. I grow my plants as organically as possible. I am careful of how I treat others, animals and the earth. I am a Christian. These are not contradictory statements!

Very well said -- and I agree totally!

iris lily
12-11-11, 6:59pm
Here is a verbatim quote from a little cult pamphlet put into my hands today:

"...Care of the planet begins in one's own front yard...It covers such places as where one picnics or goes on vacation. The litter which messes up the terrain and water supply, the dead brush which invites fire, these are things one need not contribute to...and which one can do something about.

In some countries, old people, the unemployed do not just sit around and go to pieces: they are used to care for the gardens and parks and forests, to pick up the litter and add some beauty to the world..."

So there we have it, ladies and gentlemen, let's get our old people up and outta their chairs where they are just going to pieces and point them towards the highways to pick up trash. Let's airdrop grandma into a National Forest so that she can cut brush.

The above text brought to you courtesy of The Church of Scientology Missouri and The Way to Happiness (tm)

Actually, entertaining though it is, I am having a little bit of a hard time making fun of their unsophisticated publicity materials because they are putting big time money into renovating a 60,000 square ft building in my neighborhood, and they are using historic preservation standards. That ain't the cheap way to go. In fact, when it's all over, you may find me waving to you from an L. Ron Hubbard spaceship because if there is one way into my spiritually barren heart, it is through hugging buildings.

JaneV2.0
12-11-11, 10:41pm
Geez, and here I thought I was adding beauty to the world just by still being here. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/light_skin/yahoo.gif

Love the "they are used" part.

ljevtich
12-13-11, 4:10am
An Article from HuffingtonPost (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-shore/environmentalism-satans-c_b_802386.html?ref=fb&src=sp).

Unfortunately, I have to deal with this and more especially while working at the Grand Canyon NP. Plus at Lake Mead NRA, where they do not allow glass (but it somehow gets into the lake), and the only recycling that they do is cans (mostly beer) and plastic water bottles.

And they also went after the Muppets as well, with their new movie. Truly crazed people.

puglogic
12-14-11, 9:48pm
Geez, and here I thought I was adding beauty to the world just by still being here. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/light_skin/yahoo.gif

Love the "they are used" part.

But you are, Janev2.0! :)